Scar tissue after knee replacement

Posted by leithlane @leithlane, Jan 31, 2017

I had knee replacement surgery 6 weeks ago . Through PT I have been working on breaking up the scar tissue only for it to regrow by the time I get back to PT two days later. I have been massaging at home, using a hand held massager and roller. It is painful and swollen. I am getting very disheartened. Any suggestions as to what else I can do. Has anyone had laser treatments to break up scar tissue? Were they effective?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Joint Replacements Support Group.

@exflyer

I feel sorry for you after reading this post because my condition in both knees following TKR is exactly like yours and I literally feel your pain. If you decide to have the scar tissue removed I hope you will share your progress and let us know if the scar tissue returns.

Jump to this post

Yes I am having the arthroscopic surgery on Friday, surgeon said he going to put a scope in look around and remove scar. I hope this will resolve my issue @ least release me of this excruciating pain. I will keep you inform of my progress.

@gmajudy

I wish i had found this site before i had mine done.

Jump to this post

I wish I had found the site before I had my TKR too. My right knee is bone on bone as well, but with all the issues I am having I don't know if I want to trust going thru another surgery.

The possibility of having scar tissue removed with arthroscopic surgery is new to me and gives me some hope. I'm very interested in hearing from those who have been through this, either with positive or negative results. I'm slowly losing flexion (down to about 45 degrees now) due to scar tissue build-up after trauma from a TKR (staph infection, subsequent removal of first TKR, followed later with a second TKR). This second TKR (done in 2012) is currently failing (loosening both above and below), which is likely accelerating the scar tissue. I'm 'only' 58 yrs old and was not really liking my options until reading about the arthroscopy possibility. Would love to hear more . . .

I agree, unfortunately in my case I had the second TKR before I was having problems with second!

arthroscopic lysis (not lydia, stuck computer keys) and debridement of knee.

@lynnwade54

I it's been a while since I have been this site. Here is my story I had surgery on Jan 8, 2019, had home therapy as well as outpatient therapy, nothing seem to help. My left knee was very stiff. I had a MUA on February 27, 2019, once again I followed all my therapy my knee was still stiff, swollen and painful. I then had surgery again on May 21, 2019 on the same knee. my surgeon said I had scar tissue growing everywhere, like none he has ever seen in all his years of surgery. I started all over again home PT as well as outpatient PT. The knee started out doing good I was able to bend it and I didn't feel the tightness as I did with the 1st surgery. About a month or so out something happened my PT noticed that I wasn't able to bend as much, I had a lot of pain which hindered me from being able to perform as much as I should. My PT contacted my surgeon and informed him that he needs to see me. When I went to him he was as puzzled as I was and he couldn't understand what was going on. He eventually tried to draw some fluid out which was not accurate because he wasn't able to get enough out the knee to have it read. Since then I have been experiencing so much pain in my knee even to the touch. I still can't sleep in my bed comfortable, I always end up in my recliner. I am schedule Friday to have arthroscopic surgery to see what going on as well as to break up the scar tissue. He said if this doesn't work he will probably have to go back in to change out the cushion etc. He said he can also recommend me to get a second opinion to Shands in Gainesville, Fl. My husband said he would rather the second opinion. I'm just hoping and praying that the arthroscopic surgery will be the answer. All I know is that I am so tired and aggravated. i'm so sorry for the long post.

Jump to this post

Get a second opinion on your own, not your surgeons suggestion. Go out of the group or area. Ask for new Xrays and the possibility of the implants being the wrong size, the alignment off and your knee caps replaced poorly. Follow @babette story. This really does happen to patients

@doodles418

Get a second opinion on your own, not your surgeons suggestion. Go out of the group or area. Ask for new Xrays and the possibility of the implants being the wrong size, the alignment off and your knee caps replaced poorly. Follow @babette story. This really does happen to patients

Jump to this post

I waited a year and a half in pain and told i had to try harder to break scar tissue and had a manipulation. Sought another opinion and found after revision that i had the wrong fit plus alignment. I am almost a year post surgery and while my range of motion is compromised because of the first surgery, i am no longer in pain. I found it difficult to find someone who would see me but by the grace of god, the doctor who agreed to see me did revisions all the time. You deserve and should not give up on another opinion.

@lynnwade54

I wish I had found the site before I had my TKR too. My right knee is bone on bone as well, but with all the issues I am having I don't know if I want to trust going thru another surgery.

Jump to this post

I know exactly how you feel. I am 12 weeks out from left TKR. Doing fairly good but still having issues. Ended up with horiffic nerve pain n it's some better with gabapentin. Not sure I could go thru this again. Right knee is not bone on bone yet, thank God. I need a left shoulder replacement and a right shoulder replacement revision. Not sure I can go thru anymore surgeries. Not sure emotionally I'm up for it. Maybe 20 yrs ago but not at 66. God bless us all.

@doodles418

Jump to this post

@lynnwade54 I agree with @doodles418 get a second opinion from an excellent surgeon not associated with the same medical facility. I firmly believe that success is tied to the excellence of the surgeon, but in the case of scar tissue I don’t know if that can be avoided. It sounds as if it’s just something that is part of a person’s physiology. I have had two TKRs but never had that problem.
If it is definitely scar tissue I can understand your reluctance to have a second TKR but if something else, every TKR is different. I have heard that even when a person has both knees done at the same time, same doctor, there are often differences.
JK

@dwarners

The possibility of having scar tissue removed with arthroscopic surgery is new to me and gives me some hope. I'm very interested in hearing from those who have been through this, either with positive or negative results. I'm slowly losing flexion (down to about 45 degrees now) due to scar tissue build-up after trauma from a TKR (staph infection, subsequent removal of first TKR, followed later with a second TKR). This second TKR (done in 2012) is currently failing (loosening both above and below), which is likely accelerating the scar tissue. I'm 'only' 58 yrs old and was not really liking my options until reading about the arthroscopy possibility. Would love to hear more . . .

Jump to this post

oh my! you have been thru a lot. My 1st surgery in Jan resulted in the wrong size knee. In May he changed it out & put a smaller one in. I will keep you informed in a few days.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.