Rifampin recall 2023

There has been a recall on rifampin. https://ndclist.com/ndc/61748-018/recalls/
Check with your pharmacist if this affects you.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the MAC & Bronchiectasis Support Group.

Thank you Carolyn, for sharing.
To all those who may be affected, this recall happened in October 2022. Anyone affected should have been notified by now. Most of the potentially contaminated lots would already be expired by now. If you are concerned about medication on hand, click the recall number in the link, then check your supply for the manufacturer, lot number and expiration date.
If you are concerned about medication you may already have taken, be assured this is a Class II recall, defined as ".... a situation in which use of, or exposure to, a violative product may cause temporary or medically reversible adverse health consequences or where the probability of serious adverse health consequences is remote"
Sue

@sueinmn

Thank you Carolyn, for sharing.
To all those who may be affected, this recall happened in October 2022. Anyone affected should have been notified by now. Most of the potentially contaminated lots would already be expired by now. If you are concerned about medication on hand, click the recall number in the link, then check your supply for the manufacturer, lot number and expiration date.
If you are concerned about medication you may already have taken, be assured this is a Class II recall, defined as ".... a situation in which use of, or exposure to, a violative product may cause temporary or medically reversible adverse health consequences or where the probability of serious adverse health consequences is remote"
Sue

Jump to this post

Hi Sue, thank you for catching that! I apologize. I should have been specific and checked my message before posting. I just assumed all rifampin. Walgreens pharmacy called and told me specifically that Akorn pharmaceuticals is recalling all their product including rifampin. They are going out of business and can’t guarantee their products. Here is the link: https://www.fda.gov/safety/recalls-market-withdrawals-safety-alerts/update-akorn-issues-voluntary-nationwide-recall-various-human-and-animal-drug-products-within-expiry

@bluesplashgirl

Hi Sue, thank you for catching that! I apologize. I should have been specific and checked my message before posting. I just assumed all rifampin. Walgreens pharmacy called and told me specifically that Akorn pharmaceuticals is recalling all their product including rifampin. They are going out of business and can’t guarantee their products. Here is the link: https://www.fda.gov/safety/recalls-market-withdrawals-safety-alerts/update-akorn-issues-voluntary-nationwide-recall-various-human-and-animal-drug-products-within-expiry

Jump to this post

Great Carolyn - thanks for checking into this. I immediately looked at some of the generics we use (via Walgreens) - fortunately none was by Akorn.
Sue

Please sign in or register to post a reply.