Recipes, Food Tips, Healthy Eating & More

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Feb 22, 2019

Some of the members of the Gratitude Discussion Group were interested in having a place to share recipes and food ideas. I’m hoping that we can use this thread as a place to have that kind of discussion. I’d love to hear your ideas for quick meals, comfort food, healthy snacks, and more.

Personally, I’ve just been through a bad reaction to one of my medications that left me with a very queasy stomach. I would love to hear ideas – or recipes – that might be used when you need to get something on your stomach, but don’t want to overdo it.

Hopefully, this thread will even be a place where we can share recipes for special treats and yummy rewards. It doesn’t always have to be healthy!

I’d love to hear from members who have been part of other discussions AND from new members who have good ideas, recipes and food tips to share. I’m excited to see who might start us off here with an awesome food suggestion!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@imallears

@fiesty76
Costco carries their Kirkland brand of canned wild salmon which is the best I have tasted. Salmon shouldn’t have a fishy taste if that is a concern...nor a pungent odor. This particular brand is so mild, sweet and tasty that I prefer it over tuna and, as others have said, just dumped over salad....it has more of a “taste” than tuna.
I remember Wild Planet being good. But , for goodness sakes, don’t force yourself to eat it and pretend it is something else. Our neighbor, several years ago, brought us back whole salmons when they were in Alaska...superb...and my daughter made some salmon cakes out of them...can’t beat the real deal.
Find another fishy fiesty.

FL Mary

Jump to this post

@imallears, on a trip to Alaska, we went salmon fishing. The three macho , hearty men aboard were bragging about how many salmon they would catch. A tiny round Eskimo woman said she spent much of her annual week vacation fishing. That day the water was rough and the hired boat small. All three of the men were hanging over the sides of the boat, sick as dogs while the three of us women all landed a salmon or two. We did have "my" catch shipped back and it was superb!

@artist01

@jakedduck1 Hi Jake. Actually, dark chocolate covered cranberries are delicious. You can't really detect a separate healthy taste of cranberries when you eat them! I dare you to try them. Good luck! Laurie

Jump to this post

As @gingerw mentioned earlier, special foods can bring great memories! My dad, a very unpretentious man, usually got a new tie from me each X-mas but his one request and what brought a huge smile to his face was the box of choc. covered cherries Santa left under the tree for him. Each year at X-mas when I see a box of choc covered cherries, I think of him and the delight he found in such a small but very special treat.

@contentandwell

It is amazing @ginger how certain scents of feelings can elicit such strong memories. A number of years ago, early in my marriage, we went to a restaurant in Boston. When they brought the bread basket and I had a roll it had exactly the same taste like the bread from the bakery we loved! On some cold, brisk days when I am outside walking, I am transported to walking around Aspen at night. Just such a strong association I guess.

My mother was a great cook too but unlike me, she didn't try new things. She was very narrow in the desserts she made, but they were all delicious. When I was first married we would spend a lot of the summer weekends at our rustic camp in Maine and my husband's daughter and son would be there. I always made a German chocolate cake for her because it was her favorite. It is delicious but it is a bit labor-intensive and fairly expensive to make if I recall correctly. I haven't made one for years now.

I think my favorite dessert was a fudge cake she made occasionally. You could only have a small piece, but it was delicious. I have made it but it has not been a big hit with my kids.

Yesterday I spent the afternoon making cookies to bring across the street and send some to my daughter -- St. Patrick's Day sugar cookies and white chocolate almond brownies for my daughter and her husband too. My cookies do not get fancy, just colored sugar.

So, Happy St. Patrick's Day to everyone if I am not on tomorrow.
JK

Jump to this post

JK, Oh, how yummie! St Paddy Day sparkle sugar cookies! Hope you baked enough for the rest of us????

For years at X-mas, a neighbor and I exchange a favorite foodie. She shares a generous slice of her German choc. cake; I share homemade dinner rolls.

I made one German choc cake years ago and while it left no crumbs behind, it was too labor intensive for me. She, otoh, never liked the time it took to make homemade rolls. Great way to cement a friendship and something we look forward to each year.

Now see what you've done, @contentand well? I'll be thinking of your sugar cookies all day long! Smiles

@artist01

@fiesty My feelings are hurt. What about my almond pie? Snicker, snicker.

Jump to this post

Never meant to hurt your tender feelings, @artist01. Shoot, I'd give your almond pie a try...probably taste something like melted Snickers in a crust????

@artist01

@fiesty76 My husband was the only one who liked mincemeat pie!
I had a huge walnut tree in my front yard when I lived in the Okanagan area of British Columbia. The walnuts were delicious but so much work in the Fall to harvest and clean. My next-door-neighbour always complained about my walnut tree's leaves blowing into her yard (!), and I was gracious enough to rake them up for her, even though she was 30 years younger than I.

Jump to this post

@artist01, I can't even imagine having your very own walnut tree. Awesome! I dub you Fantastic Neighbor of the Year for raking your simple leaves from her yard. Oh how I wish my neighbor would come rake her large dropped brown seed pods that cover part of my back each year!

Until I discovered that I was allergic to burning wood in my fireplace...sigh! grieve!...(it triggered multi-annual bronchitis), I'd "harvest" those dratted seed pods, let them dry and use them for kindling. Now, I just grumble and rake and grumble!

@gingerw
@fiesty76
I'm sure those memories are very special. Just know how fortunate you are to have the ability to recall those wonderful times. Rejoice in those Golden memories and cherish them.
Many of us don't have that ability. It never seemed to matter much to me until after my parents passed along with all my Dads family and virtually all my Mom's. They were my memory.
Don't ever take that ability for granted or anything else. I learned about taking things for granted when my Dad became paralyzed. Seeing all those paralyzed people some much worse than my Dad.
I learned about taking things for granted especially when I saw a man in an iron lung. I found out he didn't have any arms or legs. He taught me the real difference between wants and needs and taking things for granted.
It was 50 years ago but seems like yesterday.
Jake

@jakedduck1
Wise words Leonard. Thank you for that reminder.

FL Mary

@jakedduck1

@gingerw
@fiesty76
I'm sure those memories are very special. Just know how fortunate you are to have the ability to recall those wonderful times. Rejoice in those Golden memories and cherish them.
Many of us don't have that ability. It never seemed to matter much to me until after my parents passed along with all my Dads family and virtually all my Mom's. They were my memory.
Don't ever take that ability for granted or anything else. I learned about taking things for granted when my Dad became paralyzed. Seeing all those paralyzed people some much worse than my Dad.
I learned about taking things for granted especially when I saw a man in an iron lung. I found out he didn't have any arms or legs. He taught me the real difference between wants and needs and taking things for granted.
It was 50 years ago but seems like yesterday.
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 We do need to remind ourselves of how fortunate we are when so many people are less fortunate. I try to remember and it can be a real wake-up call at times.
Thank you for mentioning all of this.
JK

@fiesty76

Never meant to hurt your tender feelings, @artist01. Shoot, I'd give your almond pie a try...probably taste something like melted Snickers in a crust????

Jump to this post

@fiesty76
“probably taste something like melted Snickers in a crust????”
Now there's an idea!!!! 👍 A very good one at that.
Jake

@fiesty76

Jump to this post

@fiesty76 Aw, Fiesty, you're such a pal! I wouldn't subject you to my almond pie. It's impossible to bite into those almonds. If I ever attempt it again, I'll try to buy PECANS, as the recipe called for. Oh, Granny, Granny, Granny.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.