Recipes, Food Tips, Healthy Eating & More

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Feb 22, 2019

Some of the members of the Gratitude Discussion Group were interested in having a place to share recipes and food ideas. I’m hoping that we can use this thread as a place to have that kind of discussion. I’d love to hear your ideas for quick meals, comfort food, healthy snacks, and more.

Personally, I’ve just been through a bad reaction to one of my medications that left me with a very queasy stomach. I would love to hear ideas – or recipes – that might be used when you need to get something on your stomach, but don’t want to overdo it.

Hopefully, this thread will even be a place where we can share recipes for special treats and yummy rewards. It doesn’t always have to be healthy!

I’d love to hear from members who have been part of other discussions AND from new members who have good ideas, recipes and food tips to share. I’m excited to see who might start us off here with an awesome food suggestion!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@fiesty76
Go ahead and weep and I'll weep with you but it won't be because of joy if I'm in a grocery store.
I walked 2 miles yesterday and going out now to run errands and wherever I go I walk around the parking lot first. Get a steam cleaner, no hot water necessary. Easier on my back since I got one.
I need to look into one of those robotic jobs.
Jake

@fiesty76

@jakedduck1, Sounds like it is a Good Thing in your life that your "big guy britches" no longer fit. None of my "big girl clothes" fit since I lost too much weight but hey! so far the belts are holding up the slacks so I can still do an occasional car errand.

Probably just a girly thing but I can't decide if I'm more looking forward to actually eating in a restaurant again or shopping for a new wardrobe...both rank pretty high on the wish list. Without question, my 1st "after pandemic" venture will be to a morning/day? spent in my favorite grocery...will have been a full yr since last in-store 3/11/2020...I may weep with joy!

Would imagine that feeding tubes wouldn't lend much flavor but otoh, how much easier the prep and after clean-up would be. Sounds like you have the best of all worlds with a lady cook to "fill in between times". Are you paying her in chocolates??? Smiles

Due to alerts of "planned" rolling black outs for my city, citizens are encouraged to restrict electricity uses and hot water including clothes washing and baths. I figure that means no floor mopping either, right???? Best to you and all!

Jump to this post

@fiesty Yes no water activities you,LL have to postpone swmimg lol

@lioness

@fiesty Yes no water activities you,LL have to postpone swmimg lol

Jump to this post

@lioness, Indeed!!! Laughing

Hey kids,
Okay, I gots another question.
I did a another stupid thing and bought a black gas stove. I was wondering if anyone knows if they make any kind of cover for the top. That stupid black shows EVERYTHING.
My last stove was electric and had all the features and was white except the top was light gray and very easy to clean
this new piece of junk doesn’t have anything on it no self-cleaning convection no nothing just the basics which admittedly that’s all I need as much as I use it however I would like a self cleaning oven. My friend said why don’t you get this one so I got it I didn’t look at it hardly I just got the blasted thing. It was cheap all right I think only $600 but moving the gas was $1600. I might’ve got a decent electric stove for 2200 bucks which I didn't need it but I listened to my friend who said it didn't match my new refrigerator.
Anybody got some swampland they need to get rid of?
Thank you,
Jake

@jakedduck1

Hey kids,
I did a another stupid thing and bought a black gas stove. I was wondering if anyone knows if they make any kind of cover for the top. That stupid black shows EVERYTHING.
My last stove was electric and had all the features and was white except the top was light gray and very easy to clean
this new piece of junk doesn’t have anything on it no self-cleaning convection no nothing just the basics which admittedly that’s all I need as much as I use it however I would like a self cleaning oven. My friend said why don’t you get this one so I got it I didn’t look at it hardly I just got the blasted thing. It was cheap all right I think only $600 but moving the gas was $1600. I might’ve got a decent electric stove for 2200 bucks which I didn't need it but I listened to my friend who said it didn't match my new refrigerator.
Thank you,
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 Oh my gosh, Jake, you never fail to crack me up! We also have a black gas stove so I feel your pain. It’s all good until the sun comes streaming in the west window, shining a beacon directly on the stove, highlighting every piece of dust, ubiquitous greasy spot and crumb. Every night after dinner we wipe it down with a washcloth and quickly dry with the dishtowel and call it a day. “Good enuf” unless we have guests coming...thankfully with Covid it’s a non issue. I always look at dust as a protective cover anyway.
We have a self cleaning oven but still put a piece of foil on the bottom shelf to catch drips from pizza.

How long have you had your new stove? I’d say after a week or two you’ll become less vexed with your decision. After all, it matches your new refrigerator!! LOL

@loribmt

@jakedduck1 Oh my gosh, Jake, you never fail to crack me up! We also have a black gas stove so I feel your pain. It’s all good until the sun comes streaming in the west window, shining a beacon directly on the stove, highlighting every piece of dust, ubiquitous greasy spot and crumb. Every night after dinner we wipe it down with a washcloth and quickly dry with the dishtowel and call it a day. “Good enuf” unless we have guests coming...thankfully with Covid it’s a non issue. I always look at dust as a protective cover anyway.
We have a self cleaning oven but still put a piece of foil on the bottom shelf to catch drips from pizza.

How long have you had your new stove? I’d say after a week or two you’ll become less vexed with your decision. After all, it matches your new refrigerator!! LOL

Jump to this post

@loribmt

“After all, it matches your new refrigerator!!“
Do you like rubbing salt in a wound or what.

“How long have you had your new stove?”
To blasted long. Since Oct or Nov of last year.

“I’d say after a week or two you’ll become less vexed”
Hahaha WRONG!!!!! I'm still EXTREMELY VEXED!!!!!
I dropped my dinner in it twice so far that is. That's what happens when you use paper plates. Would have been easier to wash a stinking dish.
Maybe I need a new refrigerator & stove.
I HATE KITCHENS & everything in then.
I caught it on fire 2 or 3 times and regret not letting it burn to the ground.
Maybe I could spray paint it white.
Oh, what to do,
Jake

@jakedduck1

@loribmt

I dropped my dinner in it twice so far that is. That's what happens when you use paper plates. Would have been easier to wash a stinking dish.
Oh, what to do,
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 Might I suggest meals on wheels? Tee hee.

@loribmt

@jakedduck1 Might I suggest meals on wheels? Tee hee.

Jump to this post

@loribmt
Tried that, was denied. Looks like I'm stuck with a kitchen (dungeon) and all the misery that comes with it.
Take care,
Jake

@jakedduck1

@loribmt

Oh, what to do,
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1
Hi

They do sell stove top covers...many seem to be large cutting board types but they also sell metal ones. Measure the top and goggle gas stove top covers. They also sell 2 burner electric plug ins all over the place. These wood cutting boards are generally thick and heavy so see how many pounds it weighs. They may even sell a cover compatible with your brand and model.

I have an electric stove which is black and it is hard to keep shiny. I use a ceramic cleaner with a scrub pad ...it requires elbow grease and buffing and constant clean up. Yeah, it does show everything. I wouldn’t get black again and prefer gas anyway.

Let me know what you decide

FL Mary

@jakedduck1

Hey kids,
Thank you,
Jake

Jump to this post

Oh Jake, I feel your pain! I too have a new, supposed-to-be-shiny black & stainless gas range. I'll be watching to see what tips you get - I have learned to keep all food prep away from the stove (I used the old one as an extension of my minimal counters) but other than that, I must clean it every day.
@loribmt You cracked me up when you said " I always look at dust as a protective cover anyway." I didn't realize how much cover our living room had until my husband got fed up and started dusting - I can probably count the number of times this has happened in 49 years! But I'm grateful because he also moved all the furniture and steam-mopped all the hardwood floors. Ta-da! Spring cleaning done in that room.
Sue

Please sign in or register to post a reply.