Recipes, Food Tips, Healthy Eating & More

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Feb 22, 2019

Some of the members of the Gratitude Discussion Group were interested in having a place to share recipes and food ideas. I’m hoping that we can use this thread as a place to have that kind of discussion. I’d love to hear your ideas for quick meals, comfort food, healthy snacks, and more.

Personally, I’ve just been through a bad reaction to one of my medications that left me with a very queasy stomach. I would love to hear ideas – or recipes – that might be used when you need to get something on your stomach, but don’t want to overdo it.

Hopefully, this thread will even be a place where we can share recipes for special treats and yummy rewards. It doesn’t always have to be healthy!

I’d love to hear from members who have been part of other discussions AND from new members who have good ideas, recipes and food tips to share. I’m excited to see who might start us off here with an awesome food suggestion!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@contentandwell

@amandaburnett I took a huge swing at a spaghetti squash and cut the tip of my index finger off too! it was just a small slice and is almost healed now but it bled for six hours. My husband wanted to take me to the ER but the wait is always so long that I couldn't be bothered.

With the swing I took, I am very lucky to not have cut it further down, I seriously would have chopped a good piece of my finger off. Lesson learned.
JK

Jump to this post

@amandaburnett
Wow you are lucky. Spaghetti squash is too hard to cut. I gave gotten my knife stuck in the squash. Now I put a few slits in a whole one and microwave for about 3 or 4 minutes to soften the skin. Then you can cut in half easily and cook your preferred way.
I always like mine in the oven...s and p and rubbed with EVO and face down .

FL Mary

@jakedduck1

@hopeful33250
Hi there,
That certainly is a vicious looking device, it looks like it’s out to kill. That was thoughtful of you to further educate me however the kitchen is the last place I wanna be educated about.
Would that thing work to slice an onion so you could make homemade onion rings? Don’t get the idea that I’m gonna be making them though. I have someone coming to stay with me who’s going to do the cooking so I’ll save it and show him and see what he thinks about it. I’ll eat the onion rings but I’m not gonna use it or wash it or put it away or touch it in anyway there’s absolutely no doubt whatsoever in my mind that if I did I would chop off every body part that I have and probably then some.
I thought what are these nuts doing running food against the strings of a mandolin.
Cooking bah humbug!!!!!
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 A mandolin is great for getting consistent, thinly-sliced vegetables, meats or cheeses. Onions and mushroom sliced on a mandolin are really great for sauteeing for the top of a steak. It might work for onion rings if it is set on the widest possible setting, but it would not be my first choice. I no longer covet a mandolin. If I had gotten one when I was in my 20's I would have used it to pieces, but they take some strength that I no longer have. Imagine thinly sliced potatoes for scalloped potatoes. Yum!

@jakedduck1

@contentsndwell
Cut? Heck with with that nonsense. I bought a big bag of sliced peppers last night at the store. All colors . Granted it may cost more but you might save a finger two.
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 with the food processor the blade is inside. I love having one. Mine is not a hugely expensive one, but it does what it needs to do.
JK

@contentandwell

@jakedduck1 with the food processor the blade is inside. I love having one. Mine is not a hugely expensive one, but it does what it needs to do.
JK

Jump to this post

@contentandwell
Yeah they are nice, sure beats a knife.
I just made some cashew chicken what a horrible awful miserable experience that was. I don’t know what got into me. I haven’t been feeling very good after my ordeal today. Mild headache that moves all around my head and dizzy. I’m still not convinced it was a seizure, after 13,000 seizures I’ve never had one like that before. The problem is once you’ve been diagnosed with epilepsy it seems like every bizarre thing is some kind of a seizure. It’s as though they don’t look any further or anything else.
Jake

@jakedduck1

@contentandwell
Yeah they are nice, sure beats a knife.
I just made some cashew chicken what a horrible awful miserable experience that was. I don’t know what got into me. I haven’t been feeling very good after my ordeal today. Mild headache that moves all around my head and dizzy. I’m still not convinced it was a seizure, after 13,000 seizures I’ve never had one like that before. The problem is once you’ve been diagnosed with epilepsy it seems like every bizarre thing is some kind of a seizure. It’s as though they don’t look any further or anything else.
Jake

Jump to this post

It is always a blessing when we find a doctor whom we trust and who cares about us.

I never hesitated to change docs when I thought that I should try someone else.

I am fortunate (?) to have a medical person in my family... but he has been wrong (for me) in a recommendation he made. I no longer ask a family member for advice.

@contentandwell

@jakedduck1 I am drooling thinking of ice cream with caramel sauce and marshmallow sauce -- I wouldn't object to fudge sauce either but when I was a migraine sufferer chocolate was one of my triggers so I turned to butterscotch. When we were children and went to Boston to shop my mother would treat us to an ice cream shoppe there that made wonderful sundaes. They were served in silver bowls on silver trays to catch the sauce and the marshmallow run-over. Those were the days, I have such fond memories of them. Of course we always wore our little white gloves when we went to Boston too!

Now it seems so I am on a perpetual diet, especially now to lose my pandemic pounds. I still love ice cream but am lactose intolerant now. Sure, there are lactose-free ice creams, but how good could they be? Would they really be worth the calories?

@fiesty76 When I remember, I sometimes bring salad dressing to restaurants. They sell little containers just for that! You can also do plain old vinegar and oil too of course. I always check the nutrition labels on food for sodium and sugar. There are some good salad dressings that have low sodium. Whole Foods make some and so does Litehouse. Braswell's has low salt in a couple of their dressings but the sugar content is high.
JK

Jump to this post

@contentandwell, Yes, I do sometimes use vinegar and olive oil if I'm wanting a splurge of dressing but honestly, it is a self-discipline feather in my cap to forego most dressings and honestly, I've grown used to doing without. My favorite is Caesar salad and that just "has to have" the real dressing. vbg

@contentandwell

@hopeful33250 I love slicing vegetables in my food processor. Granted, it does not make perfect slices but it's a heck of a lot easier than doing it by hand. I just cut up a bunch of peppers for tonight's dinner. As I commented in an earlier post, I took a slice out of my fingertip a couple of weeks ago so it's a good thing I have the food processor.

I just had an appointment with a new PCP (finally) this week. One of the questions on the pre-appointment questionnaire was if I work with hazardous equipment. I almost said yes, kitchen knives.
JK

Jump to this post

@contentandwell, Good idea to use the food processor for slicing. Haven't done that but do use a "hand held chopper" with a gripper bottom. Does less at a time but a mandolin would be dangerous in my hands! Love your sense of humor at the doc's.

How did the visit with new PCP go? Do you feel like it is going to be a good fit for you?

@helenfrances

It is always a blessing when we find a doctor whom we trust and who cares about us.

I never hesitated to change docs when I thought that I should try someone else.

I am fortunate (?) to have a medical person in my family... but he has been wrong (for me) in a recommendation he made. I no longer ask a family member for advice.

Jump to this post

@helenfrances, I'm laughing at your question mark! I have a sil doc in the family and at daughter's prodding, I told him of my stage 3 CKD diagnosis. He assured me that I wouldn't die from kidney disease... Well, now, how can he be sooo sure of that??? I'm not mentioning any health issues with him either. lol

That is like the neighbor who was affronted when I raised my face covering as she approached and said: "You don't need that! I don't have the virus!" My response, Better safe than sorry... I ask you, how could she Know she didn't have the virus???? Out everywhere without a mask; company in and out of her home frequently????

@fiesty76

@contentandwell, Good idea to use the food processor for slicing. Haven't done that but do use a "hand held chopper" with a gripper bottom. Does less at a time but a mandolin would be dangerous in my hands! Love your sense of humor at the doc's.

How did the visit with new PCP go? Do you feel like it is going to be a good fit for you?

Jump to this post

@fiesty76 I use the little food processer my son got me long time ago for me now I agree it's so nice not to have to use a knife anymore ,my finger has come to close

@fiesty76

@helenfrances, I'm laughing at your question mark! I have a sil doc in the family and at daughter's prodding, I told him of my stage 3 CKD diagnosis. He assured me that I wouldn't die from kidney disease... Well, now, how can he be sooo sure of that??? I'm not mentioning any health issues with him either. lol

That is like the neighbor who was affronted when I raised my face covering as she approached and said: "You don't need that! I don't have the virus!" My response, Better safe than sorry... I ask you, how could she Know she didn't have the virus???? Out everywhere without a mask; company in and out of her home frequently????

Jump to this post

@helenfrancis Just heard they might shut down the country virus is out of control

Please sign in or register to post a reply.