Recipes, Food Tips, Healthy Eating & More

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Feb 22, 2019

Some of the members of the Gratitude Discussion Group were interested in having a place to share recipes and food ideas. I’m hoping that we can use this thread as a place to have that kind of discussion. I’d love to hear your ideas for quick meals, comfort food, healthy snacks, and more.

Personally, I’ve just been through a bad reaction to one of my medications that left me with a very queasy stomach. I would love to hear ideas – or recipes – that might be used when you need to get something on your stomach, but don’t want to overdo it.

Hopefully, this thread will even be a place where we can share recipes for special treats and yummy rewards. It doesn’t always have to be healthy!

I’d love to hear from members who have been part of other discussions AND from new members who have good ideas, recipes and food tips to share. I’m excited to see who might start us off here with an awesome food suggestion!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@helenfrances

Yes!
Went to school in Pittsburgh but did not return to my hometown: Masontown, PA. I miss that little town where my parents and family were active in the church and community.

Jump to this post

Forgot nationality: Slovak
We had friends and neighbors from many nationalities.

@helenfrances

Yes!
Went to school in Pittsburgh but did not return to my hometown: Masontown, PA. I miss that little town where my parents and family were active in the church and community.

Jump to this post

@helenfrancis . I thought you where when you talked about the Polish area . I lived outside of Pitts . Delmont ,Apollo . Such a different time back then , enjoyed those days miss those days . Our camp was up north Sheffield Pa towards Erie . Been through Masontown ,Coreopolis

@helenfrances

Forgot nationality: Slovak
We had friends and neighbors from many nationalities.

Jump to this post

Yes neighbors where Slovak . Lots of Germans, Irish

@lioness

@helenfrancis . I thought you where when you talked about the Polish area . I lived outside of Pitts . Delmont ,Apollo . Such a different time back then , enjoyed those days miss those days . Our camp was up north Sheffield Pa towards Erie . Been through Masontown ,Coreopolis

Jump to this post

Now I am homesick!!
But I have to say I enjoyed going to school in Pittsburgh. (Mount Mercy, now Carlow University...
they made another name change ...?

We had access to museums, the Pittsburgh symphony, the Theater... and dates from Pitt, Duquesne, Carnegie Tech...now Carnegie Mellon.
Wonderful memories
I met my husband there when he was completing a degree at Carnegie Mellon.

@helenfrances

Lioness,
Now I am homesick!
Every Mom has a unique chicken soup recipe. It healed everything!
I just read how nutritious onions are!! Never new that.
I did not like them! I do now. (My Mom put a whole onion in her soup)

I am getting hungry.... and missing my hometown ..multi national food, not necessarily spelled correctly:

Slovak/Polish-Stuffed cabbage(holupki) with tomato sauce
Kibi (Lebanese/Syrian?)
Gnocchi, Pizelles, biscotti (Italian)
Stuffed grape leaves(?)
My mother saved the clothes that we outgrew and gave them to her friend... our African American garbage collector...

If I could go back in time:

a town where many religions, colors, many nationalities lived and worked together.

Peace!
Helen

Jump to this post

@helenfrances, Helen what a lovely post and sentiment! You grew up in a more multi-national area with food choices that I never had the opportunity to try or enjoy. I grew up in a more southern state where Mexican food and "soul food" reigned. I so credit my parents for rearing me to appreciate and be thankful for the contributions all cultures, religions and races brought to our family and community.

Each of us is unique!
I forgot that my mother was a ‘governess’ at an early age. She and her sister were sent away by a step mother to be a governesses in another state. Friends often said to me: “Your mother is different.” She was . She had life’s education! She could not finish high school, but received a different kind of education.

She was a governess for a wonderful Jewish family who traveled extensively. They respected her Catholic Faith and made sure that she went to church.. on their travels they even took her to an Indian reservation that had an Easter ceremony.
Later she returned to care for her ill stepmother. Her stepsisters did not.

My mother took us to visit my grandfather and his wife, who always seemed ill at ease. My mother took meals to them when they were sick.

My mother was a remarkable role model.

@fiesty76

@helenfrances, Helen what a lovely post and sentiment! You grew up in a more multi-national area with food choices that I never had the opportunity to try or enjoy. I grew up in a more southern state where Mexican food and "soul food" reigned. I so credit my parents for rearing me to appreciate and be thankful for the contributions all cultures, religions and races brought to our family and community.

Jump to this post

Yes, we have different stories to tell. That is what makes life interesting. We learn from the experiences we share with each other.

@helenfrances, What a remarkable woman your mother was. You must have heard many fascinating stories of her life as you grew up.

Interesting that in every family there always seems to be one caregiver who takes the responsibility. Your mother does sound like a terrific role model. I sure others whose lives she touched were better for knowing her.

@helenfrances

Now I am homesick!!
But I have to say I enjoyed going to school in Pittsburgh. (Mount Mercy, now Carlow University...
they made another name change ...?

We had access to museums, the Pittsburgh symphony, the Theater... and dates from Pitt, Duquesne, Carnegie Tech...now Carnegie Mellon.
Wonderful memories
I met my husband there when he was completing a degree at Carnegie Mellon.

Jump to this post

@helenfrancis I remember Carnegie Mellon we sent out son there for a music program one summer lovely campus Going through Squirrel Hill Wilkensburg Loved Mt Washington you could see all of Pitts. a group of us women took a boat ride on Ducky down the Mon ,Alleghany and Ohio Rivers then up through town great memories .

@jakedduck1

Who’s got a great recipe that takes 5 minutes, doesn’t have a lot of ingredients, little clean up, can’t be fried, I’m getting tired of cereal and sandwiches any ideas???
Thanks in advance,
Jake

Jump to this post

Here's a recipe for Sopa (soup) as comfort food when I'm not feeling well. Children also enjoy this soup. In a pot heat Olive oil and chopped red onion and zucchini fry a little then fry some fideo noodles in oil to toast them a little ( you might have to add a little more Olive oil) season with Lawry's season salt and parsley stir then add carton of chicken broth and simmer until noodles are soft. You can try with other seasonings like bay leaf and garlic powder. Experiment and enjoy.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.