Recipes, Food Tips, Healthy Eating & More

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Feb 22, 2019

Some of the members of the Gratitude Discussion Group were interested in having a place to share recipes and food ideas. I’m hoping that we can use this thread as a place to have that kind of discussion. I’d love to hear your ideas for quick meals, comfort food, healthy snacks, and more.

Personally, I’ve just been through a bad reaction to one of my medications that left me with a very queasy stomach. I would love to hear ideas – or recipes – that might be used when you need to get something on your stomach, but don’t want to overdo it.

Hopefully, this thread will even be a place where we can share recipes for special treats and yummy rewards. It doesn’t always have to be healthy!

I’d love to hear from members who have been part of other discussions AND from new members who have good ideas, recipes and food tips to share. I’m excited to see who might start us off here with an awesome food suggestion!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@imallears

@jakeduck1
Dont shudder..lunch is too early here yet but I am having lox and cream cheese on a gluten free bagel which is defrosting and see if I can scrounge up a slice of red onion. That's it for conscious carbs today.
I am going to have rest of Bubble and Squeak in a day or 2 with scrambled eggs for dinner.
Dinner may be out but if not, it's a Kobe Burger (no bun) with onions and Broccoli sprinkled with nutritional yeast. Red wine, mango and 1 piece of dark chocolate for dessert .
See? Not do bad.
Cant wait for lunch
FL Mary

Jump to this post

@imallers Did you ever have Haluski?it's sauted cabbage and cooked noodles in butter I add red onions chopped Think I?LL have that for lunch

@asdf

Florida Mary, I'm a Florida Mary, too. So tired of cooking. Loved your simple dinner idea. Very doable, yet healthy!

Jump to this post

@asdf
Hi,
I’m in the Tampa Bay Area. I never tire of cooking. Most of my meals during the week are simple and fast. Even my roasted veggies take no time at all. It’s usually on a weekend or a Sunday that I will make something like a Bison Meatloaf, soups, meatballs and sauce, ground chicken chili , my steel cut oatmeal for 4 days and my 3 banana, 3 egg , almond flour muffins with craisins and walnuts....no added sugar..just the vanilla extract and cinnamon. Those I keep in the fridge or freeze some.

It’s getting too hot to sit on the patio here in the bright Florida sun so I’m moving inside and turning the AC back on. I can feel the humidity creeping up...ugh. Some family coming over soon.

FL Mary

@imallears

@asdf
Hi,
I’m in the Tampa Bay Area. I never tire of cooking. Most of my meals during the week are simple and fast. Even my roasted veggies take no time at all. It’s usually on a weekend or a Sunday that I will make something like a Bison Meatloaf, soups, meatballs and sauce, ground chicken chili , my steel cut oatmeal for 4 days and my 3 banana, 3 egg , almond flour muffins with craisins and walnuts....no added sugar..just the vanilla extract and cinnamon. Those I keep in the fridge or freeze some.

It’s getting too hot to sit on the patio here in the bright Florida sun so I’m moving inside and turning the AC back on. I can feel the humidity creeping up...ugh. Some family coming over soon.

FL Mary

Jump to this post

Wished you lived closer. We could share recipes. I know that I'd learn much from you. I live in Cape Coral.

@asdf

Wished you lived closer. We could share recipes. I know that I'd learn much from you. I live in Cape Coral.

Jump to this post

@asdf
Been Down south to Cape Coral and Fort Myers...enjoyed the restaurants. You are about 3 hours of south of me. I like where I am because we are a about a mile from the Pinellas Pasco line and we do most of our activities in St Petersburg , Tampa and Clearwater. Have always lived near water in Throggs Neck NY and Long Island.
I decided to put mashed seasoned avocado on top of my Kobe Burger. The Kobe was exceptionally tasty and I would buy again when on sale.

FL Mary

@lioness

@imallers Did you ever have Haluski?it's sauted cabbage and cooked noodles in butter I add red onions chopped Think I?LL have that for lunch

Jump to this post

@lioness
That sounds good Linda but I try not to use the stove in keys just by chance I have a seizure but when I do I always use the back burner.
Sounds a bit involved though. I just bought some Shirataki noodles, They are made out of tofu, only 20 calories for the package.
@imallears
I would probably join you for lunch, at least I make a good faith effort at getting it down. Isn’t lox smoked salmon? Scrambled eggs for dinner are you kidding? I think I’m getting nauseated just from the thought, not to mention the smell. Sounds like you need me to send you a care package.
This just isn’t my day it started out by you calling me obnoxious, How you could ever think of me as obnoxious is beyond me. then when at the Red Cross while I was donating platelets and plasma one of the girls came up to me and said ”you must be in a good mood today I haven’t heard you yell at anybody .today.” I know you’re shocked and amazed, I was too.
Jake

@jakedduck1

@lioness
That sounds good Linda but I try not to use the stove in keys just by chance I have a seizure but when I do I always use the back burner.
Sounds a bit involved though. I just bought some Shirataki noodles, They are made out of tofu, only 20 calories for the package.
@imallears
I would probably join you for lunch, at least I make a good faith effort at getting it down. Isn’t lox smoked salmon? Scrambled eggs for dinner are you kidding? I think I’m getting nauseated just from the thought, not to mention the smell. Sounds like you need me to send you a care package.
This just isn’t my day it started out by you calling me obnoxious, How you could ever think of me as obnoxious is beyond me. then when at the Red Cross while I was donating platelets and plasma one of the girls came up to me and said ”you must be in a good mood today I haven’t heard you yell at anybody .today.” I know you’re shocked and amazed, I was too.
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakeduck1
Oh Leonard...I called your websites obnoxious...not you. Although you do seem to have a rep. Maybe the word is “cantankerous “?
And we know you have a wicked sense of humor.

So have the eggs with Bubble and Squeak for breakfast instead of dinner. Doesn’t matter what you eat at any of the 3 main meals as long as it’s nutritious....and not a bowlful of candy.

Since I am staying home more now because of the virus I promise to search for some quick and easy recipes for you. Where do you buy most of your food from and how’s the selection? Are you more comfortable using the oven? Do you have a toaster oven or a small electric grill? I need to know this before I search. Also let me know what you cannot eat. I I think I have a pretty good idea of what you hate. You bought tofu noodles?

And yes, lox is smoked salmon...wild Alaskan salmon.

FL Mary

@imallears

@jakeduck1
Oh Leonard...I called your websites obnoxious...not you. Although you do seem to have a rep. Maybe the word is “cantankerous “?

So have the eggs with Bubble and Squeak for breakfast instead of dinner. Doesn’t matter what you eat at any of the 3 main meals as long as it’s nutritious....and not a bowlful of candy.

Since I am staying home more now because of the virus I promise to search for some quick and easy recipes for you. Where do you buy most of your food from and how’s the selection? Are you more comfortable using the oven? Do you have a toaster oven or a small electric grill? I need to know this before I search. Also let me know what you cannot eat. I I think I have a pretty good idea of what you hate. You bought tofu noodles?

FL Mary

Jump to this post

@imallears I love lox but haven't had it in a long time -- lots of sodium.
JK

@contentandwell
Hi,
Absolutely loaded with sodium. It’s an occasional guilty pleasure with cream cheese which I wouldn’t buy otherwise. So I get Canyon House gluten free bagels and have enough for 4 lunches spread out . The day that I decide to have it, I am mindful of what is in my other meals and try to drink more water. Good think about smoked salmon is how long it lasts and the bagels stay in the freezer. Probably will be at least 6 months to a year before I get it again but...good grief...I’m in heaven when I have that.

FL Mary

@imallears

@jakeduck1

FL Mary

Jump to this post

@imallears
I don’t understand how you can call my websites obnoxious I really don’t. all I tried to do was send you a nice gift and delicacies at that. Some people are impossible to please.
Tofu noodles yep I sure did and I didn't mind them at all. No sugar, 6g carbs for the package which is 8 ounces & 20 calories. I don’t think we have any of the same supermarkets here that you do although we have a trader joe's. I eat most normal foods but you & I interpret normal differently. I prefer to use the microwave however I know that’s not the most ideal way to cook but for me it’s the safest just in case you know. But if you come across something outstanding I can always call my cook to come over. I also have an air fryer that has a number of different functions including a toaster oven.
We do have some stores here that are large and have quite a variety of stuff.
Jake

@jakedduck1
I’ll check out the air fryer instructions for the toaster oven option. What’s the chance of you ordering a toaster oven online. There’s really no good meals cooked from scratch in a microwave . I have microwaved peppers and onions on occasion to use in a dish. You don’t get the same flavor but it’s good in a pinch. You would really enjoy using a traditional toaster oven and you could use the broiler in it. You could get a toaster/convection oven. It’s a good investment for someone in your position and they have automatic turnoffs so there’s no chance of burning. You could basically avoid the stove for so much of your cooking. Do you have a small electric grill by any chance?

F L Mary

Please sign in or register to post a reply.