Recipes, Food Tips, Healthy Eating & More

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Feb 22, 2019

Some of the members of the Gratitude Discussion Group were interested in having a place to share recipes and food ideas. I’m hoping that we can use this thread as a place to have that kind of discussion. I’d love to hear your ideas for quick meals, comfort food, healthy snacks, and more.

Personally, I’ve just been through a bad reaction to one of my medications that left me with a very queasy stomach. I would love to hear ideas – or recipes – that might be used when you need to get something on your stomach, but don’t want to overdo it.

Hopefully, this thread will even be a place where we can share recipes for special treats and yummy rewards. It doesn’t always have to be healthy!

I’d love to hear from members who have been part of other discussions AND from new members who have good ideas, recipes and food tips to share. I’m excited to see who might start us off here with an awesome food suggestion!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@jakedduck1

@harriethodgson1
That’s ok, I’d mortgage my house to keep out of the kitchen.
Jake

Jump to this post

Stay in the kitchen and make my homemade granola. Recipe is on my website. Just clock on the blog tab. This morning I had reduced calorie raspberry yogurt with granola and fresh raspberries. A wonderful way to start the day.

@gingerw

@jakedduck1 His [funny to him] comment this afternoon was he married me so he could blame me for wandering around Disneyland alone, unsupervised. He has an annual pass, I won't go because I cannot handle crowds of more than 5 people. He goes for several hours, drinks a few beers, eats all kinds of things he shouldn't, puts in about 10K steps, then complains the next day his legs are sore. He goes a couple times a month.
Ginger

Jump to this post

@gingerw
Yep funny to him. Definitely not gut wrenching funny. Ok I’m sorry I should’ve believed you. I won’t bug you anymore about this. So much for his bimonthly trips to Disneyland after he moves. He sounds like a big kid at heart. I bet he’s a lot of fun.
Jake

@imallears

@jakeduck
Hello,
There are 3 homes for sale in my subdivision but they are too large for one person. We built our home here on the last available piece of property 14 years ago. I had my house built behind the garage across the breezeway from my daughter, son in law and 2 of my grandchildren. My daughter is a Nurse Practitioner and son in law a sheriffs dept captain. My daughter is essentially my doctor, has her own practice and I do work for her at home. It’s an ideal situation for someone my age and I know how lucky I am to have the family I do. My son and daughter in law , 2 grandsons live near Orlando and my daughter’s son moved there about a month ago. It’s about 2.5 hr drive. Katie, her daughter will be attending school in NJ in a few weeks. I will miss her....been with them since she was born and daughter was in grad school.

You asked ...so what I had at the Japanese restaurant was salmon, sushi rice, and a mashed dish that I still don’t know what it was but it was great. Some miso soup and a house salad with carrots and ginger dressing. The thing about the salmon was , I have never been asked if I want it medium or rare. This is cooked salmon which I have only ordered at other type restaurants. I went with the medium, for all of you who love salmon, and it was spectacular. I would hesitate to cook it that way myself it I highly recommend it that way. I sampled the sushi my grandson had...top notch and the noddle bowl my other grandson had...again speculated.

Going back over to Orlando again tonight for the weekend and we are eating at a local Italian restaurant tomorrow.
I will regale you with what you are missing.

We have Sprouts and Trader Joe’s here too (TJ not near me though). I buy my veggies and bulk items at Sprouts cuz they’re cheaper, fresher and they have more organic produce. Publix is the best supermarket in FL....it’s a pleasure to shop there and you can get InstaCart.....shop online and have delivered to home...a fee of course.

Raining so much here lately but it has cooled things down. See some fish floating in the water...may go catch one...😏

Regards from Rainy FL Mary

Jump to this post

@imallears
Sometimes the mashed stuff if sweet could be like mashed bean cake like the filling in Mochi or maybe sweet potatoes but you’d know that flavor. Ya got me curious.
Jake

@harriethodgson1

Stay in the kitchen and make my homemade granola. Recipe is on my website. Just clock on the blog tab. This morning I had reduced calorie raspberry yogurt with granola and fresh raspberries. A wonderful way to start the day.

Jump to this post

@harriethodgson1
So where is your website?
Jake

@jakedduck1

@imallears
Sometimes the mashed stuff if sweet could be like mashed bean cake like the filling in Mochi or maybe sweet potatoes but you’d know that flavor. Ya got me curious.
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakeduck
I found the menu...it was murasaki mash which are Japanese sweet potatoes whipped with coconut milk and coconut oil.
You were right about the sweet potato but it tasted nothing like a traditional sweet potato Supposed to be healthier than a white potato and is purplish in color. The mash is a yellow white color. I like it better.

FL Mary

@jakedduck1

@imallears
Salmon huh, well that’s ok. I thought it was going to be some unthinkable creepy crawly thing. I’ve only had salmon once, it was smoked. Don’t really care to have it again. Not sure why I’m such an odd ball, virtually everyone likes some kind of fish or seafood. I’ve tried lobster, crab, prawn, not intentionally (lousy flatfoot) that white fish without much taste, sold maybe??? Tuna I like and calamari, oops I tried calamari but don’t care for it. My friend said the lobster wasn’t cooked right, tasted like rubber or at least that consistency. At least you can’t get anything to weird at an Italian restaurant, at least I never saw any bazaar things on the menu.
A nurse practitioner here ordered a lethal dose of Phenobarbital for me and got angry when I questioned her. She never did choke up an apology. Do you like kimchi? I think it’s pickled cabbage, I love it. How about Takuan? Made from Japanese radishes, scrumptious. Some people call it Daikon, that’s the radish. Try it next time you go. Sprouts is kinda pricy here. I never buy organic anything.
It feels so wonderfully cool in here, only 104 but will probably climb.
Take care,
Me

Jump to this post

@jakeduck
Hi
Any smoked fish does not taste like regular fish. Not everyone likes salmon. I like smoked salmon with cream cheese on bagel.
Lobster should not be chewy....I don’t order it. That white fish you had was probably cod or sole or tilapia or even flounder. They’re mild and you have to season them up. Love sautéed oysters, soft shell crabs, mussels in white wine sauce...lots of bread for dipping. Like fried calamari.

Went to a burger place last night ....suppose to be the best burgers in Orlando...called Hangry Bison. You can construct your own burgers. I had ribeye burger (outstanding meat) topped with thousand island glaze, red onion, cucumber, avocado, spinach. couldn’t finish it...could hardly get my mouth around it. Had it on a gluten free bun to ease my guilt. Smoked bourbon was so good. Eating healthier today.

Italian restaurants can have bizarre (for you) things on the menu. I’ll try to find something. This is a eating weekend for us.

Regards from FL Mary

@harriethodgson1

Jump to this post

@harriethodgson1
“Stay in the kitchen”
I don’t know what I said to deserve those harsh words but rest assured I’ll never say it again.
I just had a thought, a brainstorm actually. Since you get so much pleasure out of cooking and I certainly wouldn’t want to deprive you of such joy. if you play your cards right I might let you make me some granola and send it to me.
Your link didn’t work for me so I copied and pasted the link and presto. So many books. Jeez, if I address a postcard I’m doing good and if I scratch out a line or maybe two I feel I’ve written the equivalent of war and peace.
Jake

@jakedduck1

@gingerw
Yep funny to him. Definitely not gut wrenching funny. Ok I’m sorry I should’ve believed you. I won’t bug you anymore about this. So much for his bimonthly trips to Disneyland after he moves. He sounds like a big kid at heart. I bet he’s a lot of fun.
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 We mesh not mash well together. He is a lot more light-hearted than I am. Yeah his pass expires end of the year, and he won't renew. All the decades he has lived in that area, there are things "right in our own backyard" that he never visited. We created two idea jars, one was "near by", one "not so", There may be some swapping of contents after the move is completed. While he is still down there, there are several places he wants to take himself off to.
Ginger

@imallears

@jakeduck
I found the menu...it was murasaki mash which are Japanese sweet potatoes whipped with coconut milk and coconut oil.
You were right about the sweet potato but it tasted nothing like a traditional sweet potato Supposed to be healthier than a white potato and is purplish in color. The mash is a yellow white color. I like it better.

FL Mary

Jump to this post

@imallears
I’d like to take credit fof the sweet potatoes but I sent a text to my Japanese friend. The credit goes to her.
Jake

Please sign in or register to post a reply.