Recipes, Food Tips, Healthy Eating & More

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Feb 22, 2019

Some of the members of the Gratitude Discussion Group were interested in having a place to share recipes and food ideas. I’m hoping that we can use this thread as a place to have that kind of discussion. I’d love to hear your ideas for quick meals, comfort food, healthy snacks, and more.

Personally, I’ve just been through a bad reaction to one of my medications that left me with a very queasy stomach. I would love to hear ideas – or recipes – that might be used when you need to get something on your stomach, but don’t want to overdo it.

Hopefully, this thread will even be a place where we can share recipes for special treats and yummy rewards. It doesn’t always have to be healthy!

I’d love to hear from members who have been part of other discussions AND from new members who have good ideas, recipes and food tips to share. I’m excited to see who might start us off here with an awesome food suggestion!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@contentandwell

@Erinmfs We went to a winery up the street on Friday for the others to have a glass of wine before we went elsewhere for dinner. I had their own iced green tea that has hibiscus in it along with other things. (I can't drink wine due to being a post liver transplant patient). That iced tea was one of the most delicious things I have ever had. I want to go back there, just for that! I wish they would put their ingredients into bags to sell, it was that good. I could probably, if I could remember all of the ingredients, get something similar blended at the Tazo store. There is also a Panera in town so I will have to try out the plum ginger hibiscus tea there.
JK

Jump to this post

@contentandwell Those teas sound delicious did you ever have the raspberry hibiscus it is good . I,ll have to look for the others .

@jakedduck1

@Erinmfs
Hi Erin,
Have you been on the Napa Wine Train?
I thought the food was excellent.
Do you know of some some other good restaurants?
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 Butting in Ive been to Sonoma and Napa for the wine tasting and in Temecula for the olive oil lots of varieties they have wine tasting there also since they grow grape vinyards. Temecula is a old western town the old part its quit quaint. Ive been on the Grand Canyon train but not the Wine train.

@Erinmfs

I just thought of another place I enjoyed, The Cliff House! The view is spectacular

Jump to this post

@Erinmfs
That’s a great place. I tried Abalone there and haven’t had any since. But the view, especially at sunset is spectacular. Sometimes it’s a long walk from available parking though, but I’m no athlete.
I forgot the name but there was an exceptional restaurant in Manteca, not where you’d expect such a great place to be. I had alligator. It tasted like chicken but more dense/firm. I heard it had a mild fish taste but the waiter said it didn’t and I didn’t think so either. So when you come back to California where are we going to eat???
Jake

@jakedduck1

@Erinmfs
That’s a great place. I tried Abalone there and haven’t had any since. But the view, especially at sunset is spectacular. Sometimes it’s a long walk from available parking though, but I’m no athlete.
I forgot the name but there was an exceptional restaurant in Manteca, not where you’d expect such a great place to be. I had alligator. It tasted like chicken but more dense/firm. I heard it had a mild fish taste but the waiter said it didn’t and I didn’t think so either. So when you come back to California where are we going to eat???
Jake

Jump to this post

@Erinmfs
Have you ever been to Ernies in SF? It’s gone now. It was awarded 5 star classification over 30 years in a row. Alfred Hitchcock recreated it in Hollywood for the movie Vertigo.
My friend and I ate at the The Rotunda in Neiman Marcus, it was excellent but we were hungry when we left so went to McDonalds on Market St. what a come down.
Jake

@lioness

@jakedduck1 Butting in Ive been to Sonoma and Napa for the wine tasting and in Temecula for the olive oil lots of varieties they have wine tasting there also since they grow grape vinyards. Temecula is a old western town the old part its quit quaint. Ive been on the Grand Canyon train but not the Wine train.

Jump to this post

@lioness I didn’t know there was a train at the Grand Canyon. Need to put that on my to do list. I flew in (helicopter I think) you fly & fly & fly over the forest and then bang there’s the Canyon. I want to go and walk on the glass skywalk. I remember when it was new it made crackling noises as people walked on it. That would be a bit unnerving.
Jake

@jakedduck1

@Erinmfs
Jake

Jump to this post

I never made it to Manteca unfortunately. Keeping to the healthy eating topic... There was a Mongolian Grill restaurant in Mountain View that my co-workers and I would head to for lunch regularly. i don't remember the name of it, it's probably not there anymore. The same co-worker always wanted to go downtown San Jose for spaghetti, there was a spaghetti place downtown SJ with great food. I learned to dislike Thai Food while there, it's too hot and spicy. Curry is not my favorite. The guys loved sushi, I have a craving for sushi occassionally because of my coworkers there in the Bay Area.

After I moved back here, I was invited to a conference in Orlando with British Telecom at my work. I have some fun memories of this Disney World conference with the BT, engineering team, and the conference served alligator on a stick! It was like a chewy piece of chicken. I didn't care much for it. We thought Florida alligator in Florida, it should be fantastic, but it wasn't. I was attending an engineering symposium for a merger, and the merger fell through after we got back 🙁 Maybe it was the bad alligator at Disney?

I worked a bit on this BT and MCI merger, it was exciting, but it fell through
https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB84706364994208500

I was thinking last night a visit out there is in order sometime, we could have a get together someplace? @jakedduck1 and @lioness and maybe a few others?

@jakedduck1

@lioness I didn’t know there was a train at the Grand Canyon. Need to put that on my to do list. I flew in (helicopter I think) you fly & fly & fly over the forest and then bang there’s the Canyon. I want to go and walk on the glass skywalk. I remember when it was new it made crackling noises as people walked on it. That would be a bit unnerving.
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 That would not be for me a glass walkway no way. Yes I think I took it out of Williams Az.

@merpreb

@hopeful33250-yes it is sweeter and very heavy. New Englanders love to put it on french fries.

Jump to this post

@parus @Erinmfs I just ate dinner (just a salad with a little meat in it) but I am drooling over the sound of these vegetables.

@merpreb I think vinegar on french fries is a Rhode Island thing maybe.
JK

@Erinmfs

I'm sorry to say that I have not been on the Napa Wine Train 🙁 I'll have to come back and try it

One place I went fairly recently was that I took myself back to Sausalito, and I spent a few days at the Inn Above Tide. Several wonderful resaurants in Sausalito, but my favorite was Poggio Trattoria, it has a such a wonderful atmosphere and outdoor seating. I remember a wonderful meal of pasta there (linguini with clams), and a nice glass of wine of course.

This is the dish I must have had, it was delicious.

CAPELLINI
manila clams, mullet bottarga, garlic, white wine, chili, parsley

$22

I rode my bike all around The City, across the golden gate. Visitted all of the tourist spots, rode through Golden Gate Park, went to a baseball game. I went by myself 🙂 I see why folks ask $4500 a month in rent in The City (I've been reading the articles online about that). I think I was on a frantic visit to the area as I have this damn disease and didn't know when I could come back again. But, I'll be back!

Jump to this post

@Erinmfs We used to go to CA yearly to visit my stepson in the SF area, and then our son in the L.A. area. Now my stepson has returned to NH after more than 20 years out there, and my son is in Denver! I love Sausalito too. When you said Cliff House I immediately thought you were talking about Maine, there is one there too, one of those older grand hotels. I love those beautiful old hotels. There are a number of them in New England, and I have been to the del Coronado in SD also.
JK

@lioness

@contentandwell Those teas sound delicious did you ever have the raspberry hibiscus it is good . I,ll have to look for the others .

Jump to this post

@lioness No, I have not had raspberry hibiscus but it sounds delicious.
We went to wine country every year when we visited my stepson but never went on the wine train, we just did our own thing. We also spent an overnight in Temecula with our son and his significant other. In Temecula, the wineries are all lined up on one highway so you come down one driveway and up the next, and during the week the pours were very generous. I must admit, I did drink a little too much that day.
We also tasted olive oil, which was sort of weird. I thought they would give you little pieces of bread but you just drank it out of tiny paper cups.

@jakedduck1 I would also love to do the glass walkway at the Grand Canyon. I think as long as the rails are solid and high I would be fine doing it.
I had abalone at a restaurant in Aspen once. It was an excellent restaurant but the abalone did not like me and decided to take its leave in the parking lot.
JK

Please sign in or register to post a reply.