Prolia treatment for osteoporosis: What is your experience?

Posted by Veruska @veriska, Mar 7, 2017

I received the results from my bone test and they have recommended I start Prolia. I have read the side effects and I am concerned. Has anyone use this drug and if so what side effects have you experienced. Thank you

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Osteoporosis & Bone Health Support Group.

I have used Prolia for five years (shot twice a year). I never had any bad reactions but had some improvement with my bone density. My endocrinologist wants me to remain with Prolia most probably for life -- also, not to add anything else while on Prolia.

@hsum4

I have been on Prolia for 8 years and I'm in my 70s. I tried Evenity, but it was much too strong. Not sure what the future brings, but I have a hiatal hernia and the bisphosphonate pills would cause acid reflux.
hsum4

Jump to this post

How was Evenity too strong?

I had 2 injections before having to quit for dental work. I had no side effects and my numbers actually improved.

@sandrac

They work differently so the rec probably makes sense. Prolia builds bone and Evenity helps keep your gains. I have had no problems on either drug. I have had 5 months of Evenity so far, and used Prolia for years with no issues. Good luck!

Jump to this post

I have been on Evenity for 11 months going into my last injection . Evenity promotes bone growth it’s an Anabolic medication . Prolia is a Antiresorptive medication it affects both density and quality aspects of bone . It does create more bone density than do bisphosphonates .

@kristie2

I have been on Evenity for 11 months going into my last injection . Evenity promotes bone growth it’s an Anabolic medication . Prolia is a Antiresorptive medication it affects both density and quality aspects of bone . It does create more bone density than do bisphosphonates .

Jump to this post

Sorry, I knew better and stated their properties exactly backwards. And Reclast also helps keep gains like Prolia.
You are right!

Please sign in or register to post a reply.