Polymyalgia Rheumatica (PMR): Meet others & Share Your Story

Welcome to the Polymyalgia Rheumatica (PMR) group on Mayo Clinic Connect.

Meet other members who are dealing with PMR. Let’s learn from each other and share stories about living well with PMR, coping with the challenges and offering tips.We look forward to welcoming you and introducing you to other members. Feel free to browse the topics or start a new one.

Grab a cup of coffee or beverage of choice and let’s chat. Why not start by introducing yourself? What's your experience with PMR? How are you doing today?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Polymyalgia Rheumatica (PMR) Support Group.

@johnbishop

Hello @loujc, Welcome to Connect. I've had 2 occurrences of PMR with the first lasting 3 and half years until I was able to taper off of prednisone. I started with 20 mg prednisone for both occurrences. I struggled more with tapering with my first go around with PMR. The second time was a little easier because I changed my eating habits, gave up processed foods, cut way back on sugar and focused on eliminating as much inflammatory food items as I could. I also added a little more exercise and stretching to my morning routine but nothing strenuous. I think this helped my to taper off of prednisone in 1 and half years the second around. I've been in remission now almost 5 years.

How is your tapering going? Do you keep a daily log of your dose and level of pain in the morning when you wake up?

Jump to this post

Thank you for your note. I am still on a steroid tape with mixed results day to day. Morning pain is usually the worst, but at 10mg now, it seems to be a little less.
Good luck to you, Lou

@bfh3

Hello! My rheumatologist recommended the increased/split dosage, after my 2nd 2-day stretch of over-the-top morning pain in 2 weeks. So I did ask, but it was really more "complaining" about the symptoms not getting better. Looking back, I was probably "too patient" before "raising the flag", thinking that, over time, the 15/day dosage could've made the symptoms gradually disappear even though the 20/day did not.

My PCP has not been involved since he referred me to the rheumatologist, although I've been keeping him in the loop on my progress.

To your earlier question, I asked my rheumatologist this morning when I should begin my taper. Since the new dosage (20+10), my symptoms have almost disappeared but not quite, so I asked if I need to wait until "all" symptoms disappear before the taper, or taper ASAP, since they've been almost negligible for 9 days now, but stable. My guess is that, if my shoulders have stayed about the same for 9 days, 2-3 more may not make a difference. I will keep you in the loop on how that goes.

Jump to this post

Hi everyone, I have posted recently as newbee to PMR. I am starting a taper after 3 weeks and hope inflammation doesn’t return with a vengeance. My comment today is more of an observation about the multiple posts I have read in the last 3 weeks. If we assembled a room full of rheumatologists we would not find any single approach to this confounding condition. Taper fast, taper slowly, add methotrexate, no don’t do that, take fosamax, eat healthy, exercise but not strenuously, keep stress to minimum (haha), get enough sleep (another haha), no sugar 😩, no salt 😩. One thing I do know is that talking to others who have this condition is a great source of support. I had coffee the other day with a new friend who has PMR. We both said how nice it was to talk to someone about PMR without their eyes glazing over. Friends and family support is great but they oftentimes just don’t get it (except for my husband who at one point had to lift me out of bed)! Carpe Diem. Liz Ward

@loujc

Hello friends, I am new to this PMR support group having just been slammed 2 weeks ago with the disabling pain (neck, shoulders, back) and now working through a pred taper which is not working very well (so far). But as a newbee, I realize that patience will be the hallmark of a long journey back to wellness.

The irony in my case (though I’m sure all those afflicted have their own ironies) is that I’m an immunologist (research/author) having worked, written and lectured in the field for the past 35 years (of a 55-year career in healthcare) and just completed a book (just prior to my PMR diagnosis) entitled “The Paradox of the Immune System.” It’s a comprehensive text, but I think the gods of immunology punished me for only briefly describing PMR and not giving it sufficient attention (mentioned only twice in 300 pages) among the more than 80 autoimmune diseases I cover. As such, I really can’t recommend the book to my “now, fellow PMR suffers.” But if you are not entirely familiar with the science of immunology and its many paradoxes, you may find the text worthwhile. And please understand that this is not a book promotion because I have absolutely no interest in profiting from this book. My goal in writing it (and even more so now as an immunology [PMR] patient) is strictly to present the science of immunology to laypersons and health professionals with limited or no understanding of current immunology, its remarkable progress, and enormous relevance in healthcare.

To wit, I decided (again, prior to my PMR diagnosis) to create a free online website (www.immuneparadox.com) that parallels the content of the book including 90 blog posts with a “Science Version” (45 posts) for health professionals and a “Layperson Version” (45 posts) with the book content in simpler explanations and less technical jargon. But of course, as Einstein said so brilliantly, “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.” I’ll also be adding podcasts and along with some preeminent immunologists from Bethesda, Rockville, and Frederick, MD we will be starting interactive monthly online immunology discussion groups for those interested. Please consider registering as soon as we have the links available. And please remember, everything is free. In the meantime, with the help of my physician and hopefully, a better understanding of PMR, and indeed of all autoimmune diseases, I’ll be attending to my condition and thinking of all my fellow sufferers.

Jump to this post

As an immunologist with a recent pmr diagnosis, what is your biggest surprise about it (other than getting it.)

@loujc

Hello friends, I am new to this PMR support group having just been slammed 2 weeks ago with the disabling pain (neck, shoulders, back) and now working through a pred taper which is not working very well (so far). But as a newbee, I realize that patience will be the hallmark of a long journey back to wellness.

The irony in my case (though I’m sure all those afflicted have their own ironies) is that I’m an immunologist (research/author) having worked, written and lectured in the field for the past 35 years (of a 55-year career in healthcare) and just completed a book (just prior to my PMR diagnosis) entitled “The Paradox of the Immune System.” It’s a comprehensive text, but I think the gods of immunology punished me for only briefly describing PMR and not giving it sufficient attention (mentioned only twice in 300 pages) among the more than 80 autoimmune diseases I cover. As such, I really can’t recommend the book to my “now, fellow PMR suffers.” But if you are not entirely familiar with the science of immunology and its many paradoxes, you may find the text worthwhile. And please understand that this is not a book promotion because I have absolutely no interest in profiting from this book. My goal in writing it (and even more so now as an immunology [PMR] patient) is strictly to present the science of immunology to laypersons and health professionals with limited or no understanding of current immunology, its remarkable progress, and enormous relevance in healthcare.

To wit, I decided (again, prior to my PMR diagnosis) to create a free online website (www.immuneparadox.com) that parallels the content of the book including 90 blog posts with a “Science Version” (45 posts) for health professionals and a “Layperson Version” (45 posts) with the book content in simpler explanations and less technical jargon. But of course, as Einstein said so brilliantly, “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.” I’ll also be adding podcasts and along with some preeminent immunologists from Bethesda, Rockville, and Frederick, MD we will be starting interactive monthly online immunology discussion groups for those interested. Please consider registering as soon as we have the links available. And please remember, everything is free. In the meantime, with the help of my physician and hopefully, a better understanding of PMR, and indeed of all autoimmune diseases, I’ll be attending to my condition and thinking of all my fellow sufferers.

Jump to this post

Welcome! I'm sorry your have been diagnosed with PMR. I hope your journey with PMR goes as well as it possibly can under your set circumstances. We all have a different set of circumstances so everyone with PMR is unique in their own way. What do you anticipate doing in the way of treatment for PMR?

I'm sure we would all appreciate your input on wide range of topics. I'm curious about what kind of help you will be getting from your physician for treating PMR. It doesn't seem like there is much anyone can do. "Long term" prednisone is the treatment until we take prednisone "too long." Then the approach by many physicians is to tell their patients to taper off prednisone as soon as possible. The reasoning is that their patients no longer have PMR or it isn't PMR if it takes more than 2 years to taper off prednisone.

I was diagnosed with PMR in 2007. My diagnosis is still PMR but it "might be in remission" thanks to Actemra (tocilizumab) which was tried in 2019.

Reactive arthritis with uveitis was diagnosed around 1995 when I was found to be HLA-B27 positive. PMR was diagnosed in addition to reactive arthritis and uveitis. My rheumatologist calls it a full range of rheumatology problems or "systemic inflammation." Prednisone was the only option until treatment with a biologic was a huge step in the right direction. For nearly 30 years it was all about prednisone and trials of DMARDs.

Good luck an I hope your journey goes well.

I cant take steriods and now no one will help me ☹ i don't know what to do

@lisaparisella

Jump to this post

Hello @lisaparisella, Welcome to Connect. I'm sorry to hear you haven't been able to find a treatment other than prednisone. There are a couple of discussions on the topic that might be helpful:
--- PMR: Are there treatment alternatives to Prednisone?: https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/alternatives-to-prednisone/
--- Alternative to Prednisone for Treating PMR?: https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/alternative-to-prednisone/.

Have you seen a rheumatologist to discuss alternative treatments?

My biggest surprise, by far, was "getting PMR." I'm a 79 YOM in otherwise good health (run and workout daily) with an asymptomatic paroxysmal a fid. So my only concern was cardio. But I always have said, "Every day is a new day. Enjoy the good and deal with the rest." So I guess my biggest surprise was starting to get the symptom complex and saying, "Naa." One day later, I couldn't move. It was indeed an unexpected "new day" and I'm trying to follow my advice and "deal with it."
Good luck to you

@lisaparisella

Jump to this post

If your doctor doesn't provide alternative therapies, find another doctor, preferably a rheumatologist. Good luck.

@dadcue

Welcome! I'm sorry your have been diagnosed with PMR. I hope your journey with PMR goes as well as it possibly can under your set circumstances. We all have a different set of circumstances so everyone with PMR is unique in their own way. What do you anticipate doing in the way of treatment for PMR?

I'm sure we would all appreciate your input on wide range of topics. I'm curious about what kind of help you will be getting from your physician for treating PMR. It doesn't seem like there is much anyone can do. "Long term" prednisone is the treatment until we take prednisone "too long." Then the approach by many physicians is to tell their patients to taper off prednisone as soon as possible. The reasoning is that their patients no longer have PMR or it isn't PMR if it takes more than 2 years to taper off prednisone.

I was diagnosed with PMR in 2007. My diagnosis is still PMR but it "might be in remission" thanks to Actemra (tocilizumab) which was tried in 2019.

Reactive arthritis with uveitis was diagnosed around 1995 when I was found to be HLA-B27 positive. PMR was diagnosed in addition to reactive arthritis and uveitis. My rheumatologist calls it a full range of rheumatology problems or "systemic inflammation." Prednisone was the only option until treatment with a biologic was a huge step in the right direction. For nearly 30 years it was all about prednisone and trials of DMARDs.

Good luck an I hope your journey goes well.

Jump to this post

You're very fortunate in getting results with tocilizumab (an excellent monoclonal) with few side effects. It's ideal for your condition (probably not PMR) because it sounds like you are really suffering what I like to refer to as diffuse autoimmune disease. This is where multi tissue and/or organ systems are effected (as you describe) versus organ or tissue specific autoimmune disease (e.g., psoriasis, colitis and PMR - large muscle groups being the specific organs). Check my website blogs#s 18, 19, 20.
Good luck

@freeme

As an immunologist with a recent pmr diagnosis, what is your biggest surprise about it (other than getting it.)

Jump to this post

I am 76, female in excellent health. I thought I was doing all the “right things” to keep my mind and body healthy. Exercise, eating well, social connections, humor, travel, keeping an open mind then WHAMMO, PMR came into my life slowly in Feb 2023. I was officially diagnosed in May. Surprise is a modest word. I have a mouth like a sailor and can think of many other ways to describe this condition. At any rate, I live in the Washington, DC area and was able to quickly find a rheumatologist I can trust. So I am now on the prednisone treadmill taper with the hope that PMR will go into remission. Something I have noticed in my readings and in my own quest for a diagnosis is that many of us first go to an orthopedic surgeon for the PMR pain thinking it can be dealt with by surgery. I went to two surgeons who said no to hip replacement and diagnosed osteo arthritis. They sent me on my way with a script for PT. My PT (smart and insightful) is the person who finally told me to go to a rheumatologist for blood workup. My point is that if the ortho guys had taken some time to really listen to my symptoms they may/could have thought that this pain had other origins. I want to go to a orthopedic convention and give these doctors more information so they can think outside their own little boxes.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.