Polymyalgia Rheumatica (PMR): Meet others & Share Your Story

Welcome to the Polymyalgia Rheumatica (PMR) group on Mayo Clinic Connect.

Meet other members who are dealing with PMR. Let’s learn from each other and share stories about living well with PMR, coping with the challenges and offering tips.We look forward to welcoming you and introducing you to other members. Feel free to browse the topics or start a new one.

Grab a cup of coffee or beverage of choice and let’s chat. Why not start by introducing yourself? What's your experience with PMR? How are you doing today?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Polymyalgia Rheumatica (PMR) Support Group.

does anyone take. DEPOMEDROL. 120mg injections? for PMR.

because of osteoporosis, and osteoporosis arthritis , my rheumatologist gives me a injection when the pain gets intolerable

@pkalkstein

I'm Paul 79 and pretty healthy. At the beginning of the month I suddenly had pain and stiffness in my upper arms and upper thighs. After 4 days it disappeared. But then a few days later, the arm pains returned, sometimes to my shoulder, but not to my pelvis, neck or anywhere else. My CRP was 18.6, sedimentation normal. PCP diagnosed PMR and I will start on prednisone in a day or so. My question is, does PMR get worse--that is, more painful and stiff, progressively, and is it likely to return to my pelvis, or am I lucky to have a relatively mild case? I' very glad I found this helpful group!

Jump to this post

Hi Paul, For most people, on the appropriate dosage of prednisone, PMR symptoms will disappear - or be minimal. Then you will have to lower the dosage of prednisone gradually while managing symptoms. About 30% of people with PMR develop Giant Cell Arteritis, which can cause stroke or blindness, so make sure to ask your doctor what symptoms to be on the lookout for. GCA requires a higher dosage or prednisone, roughly about double the dosage for PMR. Usually if your PMR symptoms increase while you are tapering, the prednisone will be increased, then tapering will be attempted again. It's a balancing act. After taking prednisone for about a year and a half for PMR and GCA, I'm off it now for a few months, with no troubling symptoms (fingers crossed). Good luck!

@merryfield

Thank you for reinforcing the dietary. How are you feeling overall? How long have you had pmr? How much pred are you on? I see doc in a few hours to see if sed rate has gone down.

Jump to this post

Very sore and stiff in the am. Manageable by later afternoon. I take Tylenol 1000mg/day on top of now 9mg Prednisone for 30 days (starting to taper). My ESR was 92 and CRP was 7. Best of luck with your doctor appt. Had PMR for about 6 months

@izzie1020

Feel about the same in the am. So far all the pain is gone but I’m still on 9 mg of Prednisone. Just started with 15 mg in September so I have awhile to go. Every time I get some new symptom, I worry about getting the GCA sister of PMR. I have slight headaches along with runny nose but they never get worse - think it’s probably winter allergies. My eyes get irritated but I think it’s due to my corneas being roughed up as per my eye doctor. Just had cataract surgery in both eyes so it takes awhile to get back to normal. I just hate all the uncertainties but that’s life. Stay strong and well.

Jump to this post

I’m so happy you are pain free. I am nowhere near that but taking it a day at a time. Yes every little symptom of something worries me too! Take care.

@tsc

Hi Paul, For most people, on the appropriate dosage of prednisone, PMR symptoms will disappear - or be minimal. Then you will have to lower the dosage of prednisone gradually while managing symptoms. About 30% of people with PMR develop Giant Cell Arteritis, which can cause stroke or blindness, so make sure to ask your doctor what symptoms to be on the lookout for. GCA requires a higher dosage or prednisone, roughly about double the dosage for PMR. Usually if your PMR symptoms increase while you are tapering, the prednisone will be increased, then tapering will be attempted again. It's a balancing act. After taking prednisone for about a year and a half for PMR and GCA, I'm off it now for a few months, with no troubling symptoms (fingers crossed). Good luck!

Jump to this post

Thank you, @tsc! This information is helpful and I appreciate your quick response. With the holiday season upon us, my doctor is busy with other cases and not able to keep me on his mind--which I understand.

@pkalkstein

Thank you, @tsc! This information is helpful and I appreciate your quick response. With the holiday season upon us, my doctor is busy with other cases and not able to keep me on his mind--which I understand.

Jump to this post

I hope you can get started on prednisone soon and get some relief. There is nothing like the pain of PMR! Happy holidays!

@johnbishop

@penn1023, the PMR mostly affected my arms, hands and shoulders but I did have some leg and lower back pain just not as bad as the shoulder and arms.

Jump to this post

I'm just having severe pain on my left shoulder back area ..as if you take your right hand and pat yourself on the left back shoulder..it's chronic non stop pain throbbing and is so painful..no redness or swelling I can see or feel..just bad pain. I had a mild pinkish itchy rash on my left lower back over New Years whuch was there fir approximately 2 weeks and couldn't get in to a doctor. Then rash subsided but pain started in shoulder..i have a dermatology appt this Tuesday..Im.hoping someone can diagnose me because I'm I'm severe pain. I read that PMR comes on suddenly ..5 days of severe pain chronic ..so far.

Been in a world of pain since Dec. 4. Had symptoms of stiffness as much as two years before. Problem is primary care doctor’s lack of knowledge about prednisone. She told me to take 60 mg for a week then 40 and on down, told her that was too much. She said it was a small amount but said I could try 20 mg for 10 days and then stop. Said tapering wasn’t necessary for that little prednisone. I have touched it out until I can see a rheumatologist. There are wait times from four months to two years, Right now am using arthritis Tylenol pretty much round the clock. Time to get a new primary doc? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

@kfskfskfs

I'm just having severe pain on my left shoulder back area ..as if you take your right hand and pat yourself on the left back shoulder..it's chronic non stop pain throbbing and is so painful..no redness or swelling I can see or feel..just bad pain. I had a mild pinkish itchy rash on my left lower back over New Years whuch was there fir approximately 2 weeks and couldn't get in to a doctor. Then rash subsided but pain started in shoulder..i have a dermatology appt this Tuesday..Im.hoping someone can diagnose me because I'm I'm severe pain. I read that PMR comes on suddenly ..5 days of severe pain chronic ..so far.

Jump to this post

When my PMR was active, I had pain in both shoulder areas and not just one side but you are right the PMR can come on quickly. My second occurrence did come almost overnight but the first time my PMR gradually came over several weeks along with gout in my right foot. I'm not sure a dermatologist knows much about PMR. I would try to get an appointment with a rheumatologist if possible. If you want to know more about PMR, there are some good videos in a discussion here:
-- Educational Conferences for PMR/GCA?: https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/educational-conference/

@johnbishop

When my PMR was active, I had pain in both shoulder areas and not just one side but you are right the PMR can come on quickly. My second occurrence did come almost overnight but the first time my PMR gradually came over several weeks along with gout in my right foot. I'm not sure a dermatologist knows much about PMR. I would try to get an appointment with a rheumatologist if possible. If you want to know more about PMR, there are some good videos in a discussion here:
-- Educational Conferences for PMR/GCA?: https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/educational-conference/

Jump to this post

Thank you so much..I'm somewhat despondent with this chronic pain..just happened to have a dermatology appt for a rare autoimmune dx I received 2 months ago thar attacks hair follicles LPP and FFA. Thought I had shingles last week but was never confirmed bc of holiday weekend ..no Dr available..not sure if this is PMR or post herpetic neuralgia ..either way I'll see a rheumatologist of its PMR..thanks again and good luck

Please sign in or register to post a reply.