Oral cancer and Severe oral dysplasia

Posted by Liz1 @elizabethbryant, Jan 20, 2017

What is the treatment for severe dysplasia developed, after partial removal of tongue from cancer.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Head & Neck Cancer Support Group.

@alpaca

Elizabeth, I have been thinking about this. I often refer to the Oral Cancer Foundation website where they have some information on this topic. They mention "chemoprevention" which seems to involve taking antioxidants. "If the size of the lesion, its location, or the medical status of the patient would make surgical removal difficult, use of antioxidant supplements should be considered as “chemoprevention” to try to prevent
progression to carcinoma. Beta-carotene and the retinoids are the most commonly used antioxidant supplements for chemoprevention of oral cancer. (25) However, although antioxidant supplements have shown promise, they have an uncertain success rate and no long-term results." This was a page about dysplasia and leukoplakia. Has you doctor recommended this sort of treatment? Wishing you well.

Jump to this post

Hope it goes well for you! A long journey. May everything go smoothly.

@alpaca

Elizabeth, I have been thinking about this. I often refer to the Oral Cancer Foundation website where they have some information on this topic. They mention "chemoprevention" which seems to involve taking antioxidants. "If the size of the lesion, its location, or the medical status of the patient would make surgical removal difficult, use of antioxidant supplements should be considered as “chemoprevention” to try to prevent
progression to carcinoma. Beta-carotene and the retinoids are the most commonly used antioxidant supplements for chemoprevention of oral cancer. (25) However, although antioxidant supplements have shown promise, they have an uncertain success rate and no long-term results." This was a page about dysplasia and leukoplakia. Has you doctor recommended this sort of treatment? Wishing you well.

Jump to this post

Thanks

@alpaca

Jump to this post

Thanks @timerdude sorry its taking me so long to get back with you. I still have the same condition it hasn't gotten any worse and no better either. I to fear there is something "wrong" but everyone I have seen said no. The ENT my dentist. So Like you I am trying to deal with this on a daily basis but it does worry me. Something must be wrong but what I don't know. Hope yours have gotten better give me any advise you can it would be greatly appreciated.

@alpaca

Jump to this post

I would tell you to Listen,  google lichen planus and see if your condition looks like the condition<br>in your mouth.  I learned more from the Internet research than from the doctors.  Friends<br>and family have said to me why why could the doctors not have googled this as we<br>without a medical degree have found out what it is why could they have not done the same.<br>The big question...that can take your life.<br><br><br> <br><br><br><br><br><br> <br><br><br><br><br><br> <br><br><br><br><br><br>

@alpaca

Jump to this post

Thanks for you advise but I don't have any of the systems you discribe. Its just this film on my tongue that is white and collects more at the back of my tongue. I am trying to work with this but can't seem to get much advise from others. You are an angel for trying to help and I really do appreciate it. Any thing new that you find out would be greatly appreaciated.<br>Patti<br>---- Mayo Clinic Connect wrote: <br><br>

@alpaca

Jump to this post

Do you still have the condition on your tongue? You saying revoked it.....I don't understand what you are saying. My ent did swabs of my tongue and all came back negetive. So what do you think is the cause of this.
Any help would be so appreciated
Thank you Patti

@alpaca

Jump to this post

What treatment did you have for your tongue. No one has suggested any treatment. Do you still have your white "ikey
tongue on did the "treatment end it?
Thanks so much for your help
Patti

@alpaca

Jump to this post

BRIT PLEASE DESCRIBE YOUR SYMPTOMS AGAIN.  MY TONGUE WAS SWABBED<br>ALSO  FOR YEAST AND IT WAS NOT THRUSH.  THAT IS NOT ALL THAT NEEDS TO<br>BE DONE TO DIAGNOSIS THE CONDITION.  YOUR CONDITION FROM WHAT I REMEMBER<br>SOUNDS MORE LIKE MY NEIGHBOR'S CONDITION.  SHE WENT TO RICHMOND VA<br>AND WAS DIAGNOSED CORRECTLY.  I WILL RUN YOUR SYMPTOMS BY HER, HER DOCTOR<br>WAS EXCELLENT FOR HER CONDITION BUT WAS IN RETIREMENT WHEN MY CONDITION<br>WAS DIAGNOSED.  ELIZABETH<br><br><br> <br><br><br><br><br><br> <br><br><br><br><br><br> <br><br><br><br><br><br>

@alpaca

Jump to this post

<br><br> BRIT, yours sounds different than mine as it is on the top of the tongue, mine was white streaks<br>under the tongue which is lichen planus that turned into cancer.  My cancer surgery was April 2016<br>and it is an ongoing treatment and requires medical intervention.  "Your CANNOT let it turn into cancer<br>and it can be prevented"  mine was from negligence on the medical end.  It was totally preventable,<br>it is vital for survival that it not turn into cancer.  My condition was a result from overload of stress<br>If you are stressing out over this you are making the condition worse.  You are in a good place<br>as you are receiving information  that I didn't receive from doctors.<br><br><br><br><br><br> <br><br><br><br><br><br> <br><br><br><br><br><br>

@alpaca

Jump to this post

It like a film over my tongue that seems to feel like little pieces of tissue that comes off. I do not have any white streaks like you said you had its just this annoying stuff floating around on my tongue.
Any advise you can give would be greatly appreciated.
God bless you for taking the time to help, Hope to hear from you soon
Patti

Please sign in or register to post a reply.