Mysterious shortness of breath: What has helped you?

Posted by Gabe, Volunteer Mentor @gabrielm, May 31, 2018

I will try to make this as short as possible, but this has been going on for over 5 years, so it might be farily long. 

Beginning in summer of 2012, I began having shortness of breath (SOB) with no other symptoms. I felt a constant need to yawn, and every few breaths wouldn't satisfy the SOB. I would take a deep breath, and felt like it would get "stuck" before satisfying the air hunger feeling. About every 3-5 deep breaths would satisfy it, only for it to return a minute later. 

I got an endoscopy and other tests done, which revealed that I had some esophageal erosion due to acid reflux and a slight hiatal hernia and was diagnosed with GERD. I had always have bad heartburn, so I was prescribed with Prilosec, which I have been taking daily since them. I've tried stopping it a few times but the reflux always comes back a lot worse. 

Lung tests and x-rays were normal. Heart tests normal. Blood test revealed a slight anemia but otherwise pretty normal. 

I did some research reading forums where someone suggested taking vitamin B-12. Strangely, I took it and the SOB disappeared almost instantly. However, it only lasted a few days for it to return just as bad. I then started taking an iron supplement, which again made the SOB disappear quickly- same thing; symptom returned days later. 

After further research, I came across a breathing exercise method called the Buteyko method. Essentially you do a lot of breath holding to build up CO2 and reduce breathing as the theory is that I had chronic hyperventilation causing too much CO2 to exit my body. After applying the method and reducing my breathing, the SOB disappeared after only 2 days and I felt completely normal. I continued the method a few more days then no longer felt the need to pursue the exercises. I was normal for a whole year when the SOB once again returned with some chest tightness. I applied the method again and the symptom went away, this time with a little more effort; after about 3 weeks. I included physical exercise which also helped with my breathing. 

After that, I was normal for about 2 years. I mistakenly stopped or at least slowed down exercise and the SOB returned once again. I applied the method and began running for exercise but the SOB kept getting worse. It got so bad, I had multiple panic attacks and the feeling of completely empty lungs with the inability to satisfy it with deep breaths. I had to stop exercise altogether, apply the Buteyko method and do breathing exercises very carefully with very light and slow exercise. This helped, but it took many weeks for the SOB to improve. Then, it was almost normal when over a year ago as I was running, I couldn't get a deep breath to satisfy exercise-induced SOB. I have had SOB continuously since then (a year and a half). 

I once again started doing breathing exercises and slowly building up physical exercise, but I can't do any prolonged cardio activity because the SOB gets to a point where deep breathing will not satisfy it. While the breathing exercises have helped, they have had very little effect compared to previous efforts. It seems that every time the symptom returned, greater effort yields few results.

I suspect there is something, some underlying cause that is causing the SOB that has alluded me this entire time. 

So for the past few months to a year, the SOB is worse on some days, better on others, but never gone. There's no rhyme or reason or pattern for it. It's just there, sometimes affecting my sleep. I sometimes can't get a deep breath to satisfy it every now and then, but for the most part, a big gulp of air will satisfy it. But it returns seconds to minutes later. It's as though every breath doesn't deliver what it's supposed to, the SOB builds up, and then I have to take a big gulp of air to get rid of the feeling, pattern repeats. My breathing pattern is normal, however. I don't feel like anything physical is happening, but sometimes it feels like my airways and nostrils are slightly inflamed due to allergies, but when I don't feel inflammation the SOB is still there. 

Recent lung function tests show normal- I don't have asthma, or any other problems with my lungs. Heart tests are normal though I did have about a two week bout of heart palpitations which came and went. Haven't had any for a while- it just mysteriously started happening then stopped. Blood tests are normal, though tests always show a slight elevation of biliruben which my doc thinks is Gilbert's disease. 

I don't have sleep apnea (normal test), bloody oxygenation is normal, heart rate normal. 

I recently saw local naturopath (since mainstream docs aren't able to help) who immediately suspected a liver problem when I described my SOB, possibly liver inflammation. He used an electrodermal testing machine to test his theory which did seem to show a problem with my liver and gallbladder. He gave me digestive enzymes and a gallbladder formula to help clear a bile duct clog, thus reducing liver inflammation. He also determined with the machine that I have an egg sensitivity so I've been avoiding eggs. 

Been taking this and avoiding eggs for a couple of months, but there has been no noticeable improvement. Everything else is normal. Emotionally I'm normal- no anxiety, depression, etc. The SOB seems to be the only symptom of something, but always comes back worse, until a year and half ago when it came back and has remained since. I feel like I shouldn't have to do breath holding exercises every day just to maintain my breathing well enough to do every day things. 

Does anyone have any idea of a possible underlying cause?

2021/2022 UPDATE:
Since my original post about 3-1/2 years ago, a lot has happened, so I’d like to update the post to share with others who come across this what I’ve done since then.

I have maintained a weekly Buteyko method breathing exercise regimen where I do a few of these breathing exercises 3-4 times a week in the morning. This, in combination with daily light to moderate exercise (specifically weight lifting, with 1 or 2 days a week of walking and light jogging), I feel has kept the air hunger symptoms tolerable and manageable. I have mostly good days with some not-so-good days, but doing a breathing exercise and knowing that it’ll get better again helps me get through those times.

I also have sinus inflammation which can exacerbate the symptoms, but I’ve also managed this, which in turn reduces the severity of the air hunger symptoms.

So, while I haven’t found a cure nor is the problem completely gone, I have been able to maintain normalcy in daily life and manage the symptoms through the strategies I described.

This discussion remains active, alive and well through the comments section where others who have similar symptoms have shared what has helped them as well as suggestions for possible solutions to explore.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Lung Health Support Group.

@gabrielm

Hi @tfitz88, I hear you about it affecting your daily life. It did so for me as well when it was at its worst, and does from time to time now but to a lesser degree thankfully.

You're describing exactly the sensations I was experiencing when it began for me. I still experience it, but it's light and manageable.

What other things have you tried besides the Wim Hof method?

How long do you run during your exercise sessions and do you push yourself pretty hard?

Jump to this post

My conditions are at the extreme end. It makes me miss when they were light and manageable. I think I got into my own mind and create anxiety around the conditions feeling worse which is a downward spiral.

Besides Wim Hof I have tried hypnosis, meditation, breathing exercises, saunas, and relaxation.

I have had a heart stress test, echocardiogram, EKG, blood tests, and spirometry test. The spirometry test yielded the asthma results but I am still hesitant that asthma is the cause. I think I’ve had the asthma all my life but just managed it. This was sudden and recent.

I run up to and including marathon distance since I’ve had it. I completed two Ironman competitions and quite a few Half Ironmans as well. I’ve trained religiously since 2020 for IM competitions and definitely push myself. I have also completed a 16 hr Pentathlon and various running races while I’ve had it. I have no problem performing as I have had various PRs since I had the symptoms.

That is why I am so confused as feel like it is in my head. I feel like I am causing my breathing issues and I can’t trick myself to stop.

The problem with being diagnosed with asthma is that they blame everything on that and just try to give me more medication or up the dose when I tell them what I am feeling. It is really frustrating and just want to be able to relax and live a normal life again.

@tfitz88

My conditions are at the extreme end. It makes me miss when they were light and manageable. I think I got into my own mind and create anxiety around the conditions feeling worse which is a downward spiral.

Besides Wim Hof I have tried hypnosis, meditation, breathing exercises, saunas, and relaxation.

I have had a heart stress test, echocardiogram, EKG, blood tests, and spirometry test. The spirometry test yielded the asthma results but I am still hesitant that asthma is the cause. I think I’ve had the asthma all my life but just managed it. This was sudden and recent.

I run up to and including marathon distance since I’ve had it. I completed two Ironman competitions and quite a few Half Ironmans as well. I’ve trained religiously since 2020 for IM competitions and definitely push myself. I have also completed a 16 hr Pentathlon and various running races while I’ve had it. I have no problem performing as I have had various PRs since I had the symptoms.

That is why I am so confused as feel like it is in my head. I feel like I am causing my breathing issues and I can’t trick myself to stop.

The problem with being diagnosed with asthma is that they blame everything on that and just try to give me more medication or up the dose when I tell them what I am feeling. It is really frustrating and just want to be able to relax and live a normal life again.

Jump to this post

Yeah usually asthma produces a different set of symptoms and sensations. The way I've heard it described is like breathing through a straw during an asthma attack, so it's more of not being able to physically get the air you need vs. this air hunger where you can get the full volume of air but it doesn't satisfy the sensation of the need for air.

I don't know if exercise has to do with it, but in my experience it could be possible. I used to run quite a bit- not marathons by any means but I went on frequent long runs. When the air hunger started for me back in 2012, I continued to run and the issue seemed less when running. Then as time went on, running hard seemed to make it worse after the run. I did the Buteyko breathing method which made the symptoms go away almost entirely. So I did exercise again and was fine for a year, then backed off on the exercise which I think contributed to the breathing issue coming back. But what seemed to make the air hunger stick for the past few years was when I was running and pushed myself pretty hard. Suddenly, I felt the natural exercise-induced air hunger and a deep breath didn't satisfy it. So I had to stop immediately and it took a while for my breathing to normalize but the air hunger remained. So in that case, I suspect pushing myself hard while running trigged the air hunger to come back.

I believe exercise in general does help me a lot to manage symptoms to this day, but I've learned to exercise to the level which my breathing will tolerate even if I feel like I can push hard. I now go on mild jogs with mostly walking, and do moderate weightlifting with controlled breathing. This helps my symptoms to be less, and I can feel my air hunger increase slightly if I don't exercise for a while.

It may have something to do with contributing to overbreathing and chronic hyperventilation. The theory behind the Buteyko method is that you reduce your breathing to build up CO2 which allows additional oxygen to be delivered by the blood. Breathing a lot through the mouth would cause a higher volume of CO2 to be released, which also may be why the Wim Hoff method didn't help. As I understand, with the Wim Hoff method you try to expel as much as air as you can to get rid of as much CO2 as possible, which is the opposite principle of the Buteyko method.

So just a couple of things to consider. Reducing breathing seems counterintuitive when your body has the sensation that it's starved for air/oxygen. But experiencing first hand, when I first incorporated the Buteyko method, the sensation went away entirely- it was when I stopped doing exercise after a few months that I believe is one of the main reasons it returned. I still don't know the cause, but I can only guess that our bodies somehow are out of sync with our breathing. Something gets trigged to produce an air hunger sensation, causing a vicious circle of overbreathing and chronically hyperventilating. We're obviously ok and it's not life threatening. I think thinking this over time and maintaining the reduced breathing along with the breathing exercises has helped overall. It definitely takes perseverance- the 3rd time symptoms returned for me, it took a few weeks for them to reduce doing Buteyko exercises at least 3 times per day. But it's what has helped me the most, so if I can offer you hope and consolation, it might be worth a try.

You might find the rescue exercises helpful. When you're feeling especially bothered by the symptoms, you can do short breath holding exercises where you hold your breath for 20 seconds or so and maintain slow nasal breathing, breathing normally for 3 minutes then doing another 20-30 second breath hold and repeat.

@magdalena81

Thank you for replying,
My breathing is normal during the day. Last night I couldn’t fall asleep because I was yawning and trying to get a deep breath.
And this happened to me few times, after I was sick with Covid and bronchitis.
That was two months ago.
From that time I would woke up during the night gasping for air, then I would calm down and normally would breath.
Thank you

Jump to this post

That's great news that it's normal during the day. My suggestion would be to have as much of a relaxing bed time routine as possible if you don't already. For example, taking a warm bath with reduced nasal breathing, reading a book to take your mind off any negative sensation, and meditating. If it is long covid symptoms, I would suspect the symptoms will reduce over time and pass.

Have you tried sleeping more upright? I find this helps me if I'm having trouble with my breathing at night.

@gabrielm

Yeah usually asthma produces a different set of symptoms and sensations. The way I've heard it described is like breathing through a straw during an asthma attack, so it's more of not being able to physically get the air you need vs. this air hunger where you can get the full volume of air but it doesn't satisfy the sensation of the need for air.

I don't know if exercise has to do with it, but in my experience it could be possible. I used to run quite a bit- not marathons by any means but I went on frequent long runs. When the air hunger started for me back in 2012, I continued to run and the issue seemed less when running. Then as time went on, running hard seemed to make it worse after the run. I did the Buteyko breathing method which made the symptoms go away almost entirely. So I did exercise again and was fine for a year, then backed off on the exercise which I think contributed to the breathing issue coming back. But what seemed to make the air hunger stick for the past few years was when I was running and pushed myself pretty hard. Suddenly, I felt the natural exercise-induced air hunger and a deep breath didn't satisfy it. So I had to stop immediately and it took a while for my breathing to normalize but the air hunger remained. So in that case, I suspect pushing myself hard while running trigged the air hunger to come back.

I believe exercise in general does help me a lot to manage symptoms to this day, but I've learned to exercise to the level which my breathing will tolerate even if I feel like I can push hard. I now go on mild jogs with mostly walking, and do moderate weightlifting with controlled breathing. This helps my symptoms to be less, and I can feel my air hunger increase slightly if I don't exercise for a while.

It may have something to do with contributing to overbreathing and chronic hyperventilation. The theory behind the Buteyko method is that you reduce your breathing to build up CO2 which allows additional oxygen to be delivered by the blood. Breathing a lot through the mouth would cause a higher volume of CO2 to be released, which also may be why the Wim Hoff method didn't help. As I understand, with the Wim Hoff method you try to expel as much as air as you can to get rid of as much CO2 as possible, which is the opposite principle of the Buteyko method.

So just a couple of things to consider. Reducing breathing seems counterintuitive when your body has the sensation that it's starved for air/oxygen. But experiencing first hand, when I first incorporated the Buteyko method, the sensation went away entirely- it was when I stopped doing exercise after a few months that I believe is one of the main reasons it returned. I still don't know the cause, but I can only guess that our bodies somehow are out of sync with our breathing. Something gets trigged to produce an air hunger sensation, causing a vicious circle of overbreathing and chronically hyperventilating. We're obviously ok and it's not life threatening. I think thinking this over time and maintaining the reduced breathing along with the breathing exercises has helped overall. It definitely takes perseverance- the 3rd time symptoms returned for me, it took a few weeks for them to reduce doing Buteyko exercises at least 3 times per day. But it's what has helped me the most, so if I can offer you hope and consolation, it might be worth a try.

You might find the rescue exercises helpful. When you're feeling especially bothered by the symptoms, you can do short breath holding exercises where you hold your breath for 20 seconds or so and maintain slow nasal breathing, breathing normally for 3 minutes then doing another 20-30 second breath hold and repeat.

Jump to this post

I don’t doubt that I have extremely mild asthma but definitely not the sensation I have been feeling. And as I said, inhalers do nothing to help. I have never really needed them either as I have never had an asthma attack.

That is an interesting correlation between hard exercise and the breathing issue. Sometimes on longer runs I get in a groove and find that my breathing is more relaxed and when I feel the need for a deep breath I can actually satisfy it. Almost like my lungs were tight and exercise loosened them up.

I will definitely give the Buteyko method a try. I’m at the point where I have given up on just time, exercise, and sleep healing it. So I am being much more proactive this year in finding methods to deal with it. I wanted to do all the medical testing to make sure there were no “red flags.” Now that I know there aren’t, I want to use more practical methods. I don’t want to be given pills or medications. I have even been interested in a more holistic approach. Maybe even Indian or Chinese methods.

Overall, I find that exercise is the best medium to keep it at bay. I have been trying to take notes after certain events to try to narrow down what helps and what doesn’t. So far, there really isn’t a rhyme or reason to any of it. It comes and goes with various things.

I have come across an article relating my symptoms to over breathing or chronic hyperventilation. I have a low resting heart rate and a pretty normal respiration rate. As tracked by my Garmin wrist watch, my resting heart rate is around an average of 50 bpm and respiration rate of 15 brpm asleep and 16 brpm awake. Garmin says the normal respiration rate for a resting adult is between 12 and 20 brpm. So I am right in the green zone according to that data. Keep in mind the wrist watch does not take super accurate readings of either heart rate or respiration rate. But it is interesting to look at the date over time to see any changes.

I will definitely give Buteyko a try and let you know if I feel a difference. Using Wim Hof, you inhale sharply 30-40 times and just let your breath go but not forcibly. On the last exhale you hold your breath. Once you feel the need to breathe, you take one last inhale and hold it for 10-15 seconds. Do this for three to four cycles. From what I understand, it is supposed to super saturate your cells with oxygen. The point is to put your mind in control over your body. It is the only form of breathing or mediation where I actually felt like I was in the “zone.” The problem for me is that I have a super active brain and pretty high anxiety. This makes it hard for me to focus and just be. I find the best time to do it is in the early morning when it’s still dark and the world is asleep.

Looking forward to getting some results!

@gabrielm

Yes @tonyagregg, I'd like to keep in touch with you. Sounds like what you have is pretty similar to me. It's been much worse before, but it's stabled out. Still not gone by any means, but I can at least live with it. Let's stay in touch. Maybe we can tag team our research or let each other know if we find some kind of answers.

Jump to this post

How are you feeling? My daughter has chronic Lyme and she has the same problem. Air hanger. Yesterday was the worst.

@tfitz88

I don’t doubt that I have extremely mild asthma but definitely not the sensation I have been feeling. And as I said, inhalers do nothing to help. I have never really needed them either as I have never had an asthma attack.

That is an interesting correlation between hard exercise and the breathing issue. Sometimes on longer runs I get in a groove and find that my breathing is more relaxed and when I feel the need for a deep breath I can actually satisfy it. Almost like my lungs were tight and exercise loosened them up.

I will definitely give the Buteyko method a try. I’m at the point where I have given up on just time, exercise, and sleep healing it. So I am being much more proactive this year in finding methods to deal with it. I wanted to do all the medical testing to make sure there were no “red flags.” Now that I know there aren’t, I want to use more practical methods. I don’t want to be given pills or medications. I have even been interested in a more holistic approach. Maybe even Indian or Chinese methods.

Overall, I find that exercise is the best medium to keep it at bay. I have been trying to take notes after certain events to try to narrow down what helps and what doesn’t. So far, there really isn’t a rhyme or reason to any of it. It comes and goes with various things.

I have come across an article relating my symptoms to over breathing or chronic hyperventilation. I have a low resting heart rate and a pretty normal respiration rate. As tracked by my Garmin wrist watch, my resting heart rate is around an average of 50 bpm and respiration rate of 15 brpm asleep and 16 brpm awake. Garmin says the normal respiration rate for a resting adult is between 12 and 20 brpm. So I am right in the green zone according to that data. Keep in mind the wrist watch does not take super accurate readings of either heart rate or respiration rate. But it is interesting to look at the date over time to see any changes.

I will definitely give Buteyko a try and let you know if I feel a difference. Using Wim Hof, you inhale sharply 30-40 times and just let your breath go but not forcibly. On the last exhale you hold your breath. Once you feel the need to breathe, you take one last inhale and hold it for 10-15 seconds. Do this for three to four cycles. From what I understand, it is supposed to super saturate your cells with oxygen. The point is to put your mind in control over your body. It is the only form of breathing or mediation where I actually felt like I was in the “zone.” The problem for me is that I have a super active brain and pretty high anxiety. This makes it hard for me to focus and just be. I find the best time to do it is in the early morning when it’s still dark and the world is asleep.

Looking forward to getting some results!

Jump to this post

@tfitz88, I'm glad there are no red flags or something serious that could be causing it. At the same time you almost wish there was something that would come up to be able to put a finger on it.

You definitely have a really good resting heart rate and brpm. That's on the healthier range for sure. Says that you're heart is very healthy and strong. The lower brpm also says that you're respirating normally and your body is not forcing itself to try to breathe given the air hunger sensation. So that's all good news. Now it's trying to regain a "sync" between the mind and body, something I'm always trying to work on.

For reference, I learned Buteyko through learnbuteykoonline.net. It was online course-based education and gave me the tools that I still use to this day. There are also books on it. The best ones are by Patrick McKeown. I'm not affiliated with either of the these organizations other than that I learned from them, but am a proponent of the method since it helped me so much.

Let me know how it goes as you incorporate the strategies. I really hope it helps you. Feel free to ask my any questions along the way or contact me anytime for any insight.

Do you feel like you have the anxiety under control? I know it can contribute to various issues including breathing issues, but I know it's different for everybody.

@polianad22

How are you feeling? My daughter has chronic Lyme and she has the same problem. Air hanger. Yesterday was the worst.

Jump to this post

@polianad22, I'm sorry your daughter is experiencing this. I've been able to manage my symptoms over the year. I don't have as many ups and downs as I used to, so it's been pretty stable over the past few years. Is your daughter's Lyme under control? Do you or doctors believe this to be the cause of the air hunger symptom?

@gabrielm

@polianad22, I'm sorry your daughter is experiencing this. I've been able to manage my symptoms over the year. I don't have as many ups and downs as I used to, so it's been pretty stable over the past few years. Is your daughter's Lyme under control? Do you or doctors believe this to be the cause of the air hunger symptom?

Jump to this post

I know is Lyme and confections. She has been having those since she was 3. Now she is 10. Babesia does air hunger. I have going to a Lyme Dr. Antibiotics, herbal protocol. Clean diet .

@mabrams50

My son and I have the exact same thing that you describe. I know in my heart that it’s not allergies or asthma. It’s particularly bad for him. Doctors can’t figure it out. I will read through all the comments here to look for answers. Thank you for posting!!!!!!

Jump to this post

Doctors cant find anything. Its anxiety. He doesnt have to be stressed about anything, anxiety ca n be just physical sensations and symptoms.

IF DOCTORS CANT FIND ANYTHING AND SAY IT COULD BE ANXIETY. THEN IT IS ANXIETY. LIVE FULLY WITH THE SYMPTOM AND YOU SHOW YOUR BODY IT IS NO THREAT. ALL YOU WITH LIME DISEASE OR REAL ISSUES OF COURSE FIX THOSE ISSUES. THOSE OF YOU WITH NO DIAGNOSIS AFTER MONTHS AND TALKING ABOUT BUTEYKO. BUTEYKO IS A BREATHING EXERCISE TO TRY CALM YOUR BODY. BUT YOU NEED TO STOP SEEING THE SYMPTOM AS SOMETHING TO GET RID OF. CAUSE YOUR TELLING YOUR BODY IT IS CORRECT TO SET OFF THIS ALARM. THIS CAN GET REALLY BAD AND CAN KEEP YOU HOUSE BOUND IF YOU BELIEVE ITS REAL DANGER. GET OUT AND LIVE GUYS PLEASE. AND GABRIEL I APPRECIATE YOU TRYING TO HELP PEOPLE WITH IDEAD OF REAL ISSUES BUT PLEASE START LIVING YOUR LIFE YOU SEEM OBSESSED. AND ABOUT BUTEYKO THE ONLY BENEFIT IMO IS THAT IT SHOWS YOU THAT ALTHOUGH YOU ARE FEELING SOB THAT WHEN YOU BREATHE LESS AND STILL BE FINE. BUT THATS IT, STOP DOING IT AS SOMETHING THAT YOU USE TO RID YOURSELF OF IT. WHEN YOUR SOB HAS DISAPPEARED THATS WHEN YOU STOPPED TRYING TO GET RID OF IT AND YOU WERE JUST FOCUSED ON LIFE. AND WHEN YOU OBSESSED OVER SOB AGAIN IT RETURNED BECAUSE YOUR BODY WILL SHOW YOU ANY SENSATION YOU LABEL DANGEROUS. IVE RECOMMENDED BOOKS IN A PREVIOUS POST PLEASE BELIEVE ITS ANXIETY IF DOCTORS SAY IT PROBABLY IS.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.