Mysterious shortness of breath: What has helped you?

Posted by Gabe, Volunteer Mentor @gabrielm, May 31, 2018

I will try to make this as short as possible, but this has been going on for over 5 years, so it might be farily long. 

Beginning in summer of 2012, I began having shortness of breath (SOB) with no other symptoms. I felt a constant need to yawn, and every few breaths wouldn't satisfy the SOB. I would take a deep breath, and felt like it would get "stuck" before satisfying the air hunger feeling. About every 3-5 deep breaths would satisfy it, only for it to return a minute later. 

I got an endoscopy and other tests done, which revealed that I had some esophageal erosion due to acid reflux and a slight hiatal hernia and was diagnosed with GERD. I had always have bad heartburn, so I was prescribed with Prilosec, which I have been taking daily since them. I've tried stopping it a few times but the reflux always comes back a lot worse. 

Lung tests and x-rays were normal. Heart tests normal. Blood test revealed a slight anemia but otherwise pretty normal. 

I did some research reading forums where someone suggested taking vitamin B-12. Strangely, I took it and the SOB disappeared almost instantly. However, it only lasted a few days for it to return just as bad. I then started taking an iron supplement, which again made the SOB disappear quickly- same thing; symptom returned days later. 

After further research, I came across a breathing exercise method called the Buteyko method. Essentially you do a lot of breath holding to build up CO2 and reduce breathing as the theory is that I had chronic hyperventilation causing too much CO2 to exit my body. After applying the method and reducing my breathing, the SOB disappeared after only 2 days and I felt completely normal. I continued the method a few more days then no longer felt the need to pursue the exercises. I was normal for a whole year when the SOB once again returned with some chest tightness. I applied the method again and the symptom went away, this time with a little more effort; after about 3 weeks. I included physical exercise which also helped with my breathing. 

After that, I was normal for about 2 years. I mistakenly stopped or at least slowed down exercise and the SOB returned once again. I applied the method and began running for exercise but the SOB kept getting worse. It got so bad, I had multiple panic attacks and the feeling of completely empty lungs with the inability to satisfy it with deep breaths. I had to stop exercise altogether, apply the Buteyko method and do breathing exercises very carefully with very light and slow exercise. This helped, but it took many weeks for the SOB to improve. Then, it was almost normal when over a year ago as I was running, I couldn't get a deep breath to satisfy exercise-induced SOB. I have had SOB continuously since then (a year and a half). 

I once again started doing breathing exercises and slowly building up physical exercise, but I can't do any prolonged cardio activity because the SOB gets to a point where deep breathing will not satisfy it. While the breathing exercises have helped, they have had very little effect compared to previous efforts. It seems that every time the symptom returned, greater effort yields few results.

I suspect there is something, some underlying cause that is causing the SOB that has alluded me this entire time. 

So for the past few months to a year, the SOB is worse on some days, better on others, but never gone. There's no rhyme or reason or pattern for it. It's just there, sometimes affecting my sleep. I sometimes can't get a deep breath to satisfy it every now and then, but for the most part, a big gulp of air will satisfy it. But it returns seconds to minutes later. It's as though every breath doesn't deliver what it's supposed to, the SOB builds up, and then I have to take a big gulp of air to get rid of the feeling, pattern repeats. My breathing pattern is normal, however. I don't feel like anything physical is happening, but sometimes it feels like my airways and nostrils are slightly inflamed due to allergies, but when I don't feel inflammation the SOB is still there. 

Recent lung function tests show normal- I don't have asthma, or any other problems with my lungs. Heart tests are normal though I did have about a two week bout of heart palpitations which came and went. Haven't had any for a while- it just mysteriously started happening then stopped. Blood tests are normal, though tests always show a slight elevation of biliruben which my doc thinks is Gilbert's disease. 

I don't have sleep apnea (normal test), bloody oxygenation is normal, heart rate normal. 

I recently saw local naturopath (since mainstream docs aren't able to help) who immediately suspected a liver problem when I described my SOB, possibly liver inflammation. He used an electrodermal testing machine to test his theory which did seem to show a problem with my liver and gallbladder. He gave me digestive enzymes and a gallbladder formula to help clear a bile duct clog, thus reducing liver inflammation. He also determined with the machine that I have an egg sensitivity so I've been avoiding eggs. 

Been taking this and avoiding eggs for a couple of months, but there has been no noticeable improvement. Everything else is normal. Emotionally I'm normal- no anxiety, depression, etc. The SOB seems to be the only symptom of something, but always comes back worse, until a year and half ago when it came back and has remained since. I feel like I shouldn't have to do breath holding exercises every day just to maintain my breathing well enough to do every day things. 

Does anyone have any idea of a possible underlying cause?

2021/2022 UPDATE:
Since my original post about 3-1/2 years ago, a lot has happened, so I’d like to update the post to share with others who come across this what I’ve done since then.

I have maintained a weekly Buteyko method breathing exercise regimen where I do a few of these breathing exercises 3-4 times a week in the morning. This, in combination with daily light to moderate exercise (specifically weight lifting, with 1 or 2 days a week of walking and light jogging), I feel has kept the air hunger symptoms tolerable and manageable. I have mostly good days with some not-so-good days, but doing a breathing exercise and knowing that it’ll get better again helps me get through those times.

I also have sinus inflammation which can exacerbate the symptoms, but I’ve also managed this, which in turn reduces the severity of the air hunger symptoms.

So, while I haven’t found a cure nor is the problem completely gone, I have been able to maintain normalcy in daily life and manage the symptoms through the strategies I described.

This discussion remains active, alive and well through the comments section where others who have similar symptoms have shared what has helped them as well as suggestions for possible solutions to explore.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Lung Health Support Group.

@mostafamahjoori

Hi
Dont give up
Does prozac help your breathing? How long are in prozac?

Jump to this post

I've been on Prozac almost 4 months. Started with 10 mg, then 10 days at 20, now on 30mg. May be helping. Surely feel more calm but still off and on with the breathing.

@rdemi

Hi All,

I have been reading through these comments and with many of them it as though I have typed them myself. I am a 28 year old male in good physical shape and I have been suffering from SOB for 3 years. When it first began it was subtle and took 6-8 months to get under control. During this time I followed the standard GERD diet strictly and elevated my bed as well as taking PPIs. After some time I was mostly healed and was back to a mostly normal life style where I could exercise and eat most foods. I had only mild reflux and occasional SOB until about 5 months ago where it came back with a vengeance. When it first started again I could barely breathe and went to the ER where they said I had anxiety (their way of pushing me out). Since the symptoms came back I went back to a strict diet following the low fat, acid, and sugar regime. I noticed a difference after a month or so and though I have improved considerably I am still unable to do any exercise other than walks.

Due to the severity and return of the SOB I have again tried to seek help. I have seen cardiologists, pulmonologists, allergist, gastroenterologists, and am currently working with a nutritionist. All of my tests have come back normal except for 2. The first was an endoscopy which showed I had mild reflux. The second was a stool sample which showed I had a load of parasites and unwanted bacteria. The nutritionist and Gastro say that I have Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO) which they say causes gas/bloating then reflux and as a result SOB. Since the SIBO diagnosis I have been on 2 rounds of antibiotics which I felt a positive response to while taking them. Shortly after the antibiotics, however, symptoms worsened. My question to you all is, has anyone else looked into SIBO as a root cause of their reflux? And if so, have you tried any treatments for it. If so, I'd very much like to hear your story.

I also think it may be worth mentioning that everything I have been going through began shortly after taking antibiotics for a sinus infection 3 years ago. I believe that some bacteria were able to colonize my gut due to the antibiotics removing the good bacteria from there.

Jump to this post

They can not diagnose sibo based on stool sample. The sample must by taken directly from small intestine via endoscopy or by breathing test. Sibo is not same as parasites , it’s overgrowth of the bacteria normally living in your colon that makes it’s way to small intestine, therefore if they test stool it will always turn positive for sibo.

@haleynicole1223

I do agree that my signs and symptoms point to some type of reflux whether it be silent reflux or maybe even a hiatal hernia. I’ve been experiencing this dyspnea for about 3 weeks now and I actually just started counting my macros again today which does include high amounts of protein but more so just balancing carbs, fats, proteins, and calorie intake. I will look more into the ingredients in my protein shake and collagen powder but all my other protein sources come from chicken and turkey because I do not eat beef or tuna.

I feel though that this all started once I switched to night shift. I’ve been reading articles about GERD/acid reflux and the being more susceptible being a “night shifter”. Seems almost as if since my eating schedule is so all over place depending on the day (I only work three shifts a week and flip on the other days), my body doesn’t know when to produce acid for food absorption. Just a guess but I just hate that it happened so randomly and now even sitting on the couch it’s hard to get a “satisfying” breath.

Jump to this post

Your stomach starts producing acid when the feeding process begins. It doesn’t matter what time is it .

@rrsj

Such a relief to find this forum! Six weeks ago I began to experience a feeling of shortness of breath. They put me on steroids and antibiotics and after 10 days I felt back to normal.
Within 2 weeks the feeling returned. I say a feeling as I can still take deep breaths. Occasionally this has been accompanied by mild chest pains. I am constantly fatigued and find it so hard to explain.
Oxygen sats...peak flow reading etc are very good. Heart rate normal. It has made it impossible for me to work. I've seen doctors and been provided with anti depressants and anti reflux tablets. They are sending me to see if I have sleep apnea. Bloods were normal originally but now show moderately elevated crp and slightly elevated WCC.
All last week I had an accompanying lump in my throat when swallowing so I am wondering if my doctor is correct that it is anxiety?

Jump to this post

moderately elevated crp and slightly elevated WCC.…. These point to anxiety/ depression too

@bellaquinn21

Thanks for posting this. For almost 5 years now I have been suffering with the same air hunger. I actually thought it was getting better until a month or so ago. now it is so bad I can barely get out of bed. As I also feel lightheaded/faint/off balance /vestibular type symptoms with mine too. I've also had lung function tests, heart echo/ halter moniter/blood tests. and the only thing they found was very low feritin levels, and low cortisol. My symptoms are ruining my life. I feel like im about to die. Anyway, it was good to read through these comments to get some ideas on where to go from here.

Jump to this post

Do you have a hard time exercising too? I keep going back and forth on whether mine is anxiety related but it has become so debilitating. I feel this breathlessness all day everyday and nothing I’ve tried helps even a little bit. I would think exercise should help anxiety to some degree .

@amyann722

Do you have a hard time exercising too? I keep going back and forth on whether mine is anxiety related but it has become so debilitating. I feel this breathlessness all day everyday and nothing I’ve tried helps even a little bit. I would think exercise should help anxiety to some degree .

Jump to this post

Hi, yes, I do have a hard time exercising... and im the same as you.. I go back and forth constantly between thinking maybe it is anxiety, and no it must be something more serious.

@amyann722

Hi Gabe! I am so glad I stumbled upon your article. You are the first person to describe exactly what I have been battling with for about 3 years. I have the constant feeling of needing to take a deep breath and about 90% of the time , it is not satisfying. Mine started out as an occasional dyspnea and gradually got worse. Now I feel this shortness of breath all day everyday , with very minimal periods of relief. I have tried breathing exercises and they do not help at all. But maybe I need to try for longer stretches. I started running a few days per week about 2 years ago and it is torture to run, but I try to do it because it makes me feel healthy afterwards. It doesn’t get any easier though . Which after sometime, it should . I have the normal levels of anxiety that comes with being a parent of two and working full time .. and sometimes I wonder if this could be anxiety related because everything else is Normal but I do not have any other symptoms of anxiety what so ever and usually anxiety is situational- doesn’t last all day everyday. I would do anything for an answer and solution to this problem! It’s gotten so bad that it’s starting to affect my daily life . Thank you for sharing your story.

Jump to this post

@amyann722 I’m so sorry you’ve been dealing with this. How long did you try the breathing exercises for and what types of exercises did you do?

I used to run pretty hard too, especially when this started for me but then had to stop running for a while and now I just do light jogging or walking. I also do moderate weight lifting as my main form of exercise which I think also helps with the breathing.

Have you seen any doctors about this?

@bellaquinn21

Thanks for posting this. For almost 5 years now I have been suffering with the same air hunger. I actually thought it was getting better until a month or so ago. now it is so bad I can barely get out of bed. As I also feel lightheaded/faint/off balance /vestibular type symptoms with mine too. I've also had lung function tests, heart echo/ halter moniter/blood tests. and the only thing they found was very low feritin levels, and low cortisol. My symptoms are ruining my life. I feel like im about to die. Anyway, it was good to read through these comments to get some ideas on where to go from here.

Jump to this post

I hope you did get some good ideas! Let me know if you’d like to me to expand on any others you might have questions about. I’ve been able to manage my symptoms pretty well and would be happy to share. But I know the feeling- just be assured that, despite the feeling, you are getting enough air. This may help with the mental aspect of it.

Have you gotten your oxygen levels tested? What number do you see on that?

@sheebacat

I am going through the exact same thing. Since 12/2020. I have tried MANY things. Currently I'm on Prozac 30 mgs a day and now someone is working with me who thinks I have a breathing pattern disorder. She is a respiratory physiologist and doesn't think it's anxiety. She says I'm breathing too much through my chest and neeed to change to belly breathing. She is teaching me methods to suppress the sighs and yawns and try to even out the breathing. It's very difficult. Have you any opinion on this? I know you mentioned Buteyko breathing. I haven't looked into that but certainly will.

Jump to this post

@sheebacat, without knowing your medical history and not being a doctor myself, just through my own research, I think the respiratory physiologist’s analysis definitely has merit. It’s possible that many of us are breathing incorrectly, and the primary lesson of the Buteyko breathing is to change from the habit of chest and mouth breathing, to belly and nose breathing. It takes practice, but there are YouTube videos that show how to practice belly breathing which is to lie down, place a hand over your chest and the other over your belly and every time you I inhale, your belly hand should rise while the chest hand remains still. The other way to train your body to breathe less is simply to resist the urge to take deep breaths as much as possible and if you do have do, do so through your nose. Have you had your oxygen levels tested?

@bellaquinn21

Hi, yes, I do have a hard time exercising... and im the same as you.. I go back and forth constantly between thinking maybe it is anxiety, and no it must be something more serious.

Jump to this post

Exercise is perceived by the body as a form of stress and stimulates the release of cortisol ( stress hormone)

However, research shows that the time and intensity of exercise can affect the level of cortisol release. When it comes to exercise, more may not be better. Training for more than 60 minutes, even at a low intensity will burn up the body’s glycogen stores, and so will strict dieting and stimulate cortisol release.
the levels tend to surge if rest periods are short and work levels are high. This is particularly significant if exercising when starved or nutritionally depleted and was also increased by training in the early morning when cortisol levels are naturally higher and the response to exercise can be more.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.