Mysterious shortness of breath: What has helped you?

Posted by Gabe, Volunteer Mentor @gabrielm, May 31, 2018

I will try to make this as short as possible, but this has been going on for over 5 years, so it might be farily long. 

Beginning in summer of 2012, I began having shortness of breath (SOB) with no other symptoms. I felt a constant need to yawn, and every few breaths wouldn't satisfy the SOB. I would take a deep breath, and felt like it would get "stuck" before satisfying the air hunger feeling. About every 3-5 deep breaths would satisfy it, only for it to return a minute later. 

I got an endoscopy and other tests done, which revealed that I had some esophageal erosion due to acid reflux and a slight hiatal hernia and was diagnosed with GERD. I had always have bad heartburn, so I was prescribed with Prilosec, which I have been taking daily since them. I've tried stopping it a few times but the reflux always comes back a lot worse. 

Lung tests and x-rays were normal. Heart tests normal. Blood test revealed a slight anemia but otherwise pretty normal. 

I did some research reading forums where someone suggested taking vitamin B-12. Strangely, I took it and the SOB disappeared almost instantly. However, it only lasted a few days for it to return just as bad. I then started taking an iron supplement, which again made the SOB disappear quickly- same thing; symptom returned days later. 

After further research, I came across a breathing exercise method called the Buteyko method. Essentially you do a lot of breath holding to build up CO2 and reduce breathing as the theory is that I had chronic hyperventilation causing too much CO2 to exit my body. After applying the method and reducing my breathing, the SOB disappeared after only 2 days and I felt completely normal. I continued the method a few more days then no longer felt the need to pursue the exercises. I was normal for a whole year when the SOB once again returned with some chest tightness. I applied the method again and the symptom went away, this time with a little more effort; after about 3 weeks. I included physical exercise which also helped with my breathing. 

After that, I was normal for about 2 years. I mistakenly stopped or at least slowed down exercise and the SOB returned once again. I applied the method and began running for exercise but the SOB kept getting worse. It got so bad, I had multiple panic attacks and the feeling of completely empty lungs with the inability to satisfy it with deep breaths. I had to stop exercise altogether, apply the Buteyko method and do breathing exercises very carefully with very light and slow exercise. This helped, but it took many weeks for the SOB to improve. Then, it was almost normal when over a year ago as I was running, I couldn't get a deep breath to satisfy exercise-induced SOB. I have had SOB continuously since then (a year and a half). 

I once again started doing breathing exercises and slowly building up physical exercise, but I can't do any prolonged cardio activity because the SOB gets to a point where deep breathing will not satisfy it. While the breathing exercises have helped, they have had very little effect compared to previous efforts. It seems that every time the symptom returned, greater effort yields few results.

I suspect there is something, some underlying cause that is causing the SOB that has alluded me this entire time. 

So for the past few months to a year, the SOB is worse on some days, better on others, but never gone. There's no rhyme or reason or pattern for it. It's just there, sometimes affecting my sleep. I sometimes can't get a deep breath to satisfy it every now and then, but for the most part, a big gulp of air will satisfy it. But it returns seconds to minutes later. It's as though every breath doesn't deliver what it's supposed to, the SOB builds up, and then I have to take a big gulp of air to get rid of the feeling, pattern repeats. My breathing pattern is normal, however. I don't feel like anything physical is happening, but sometimes it feels like my airways and nostrils are slightly inflamed due to allergies, but when I don't feel inflammation the SOB is still there. 

Recent lung function tests show normal- I don't have asthma, or any other problems with my lungs. Heart tests are normal though I did have about a two week bout of heart palpitations which came and went. Haven't had any for a while- it just mysteriously started happening then stopped. Blood tests are normal, though tests always show a slight elevation of biliruben which my doc thinks is Gilbert's disease. 

I don't have sleep apnea (normal test), bloody oxygenation is normal, heart rate normal. 

I recently saw local naturopath (since mainstream docs aren't able to help) who immediately suspected a liver problem when I described my SOB, possibly liver inflammation. He used an electrodermal testing machine to test his theory which did seem to show a problem with my liver and gallbladder. He gave me digestive enzymes and a gallbladder formula to help clear a bile duct clog, thus reducing liver inflammation. He also determined with the machine that I have an egg sensitivity so I've been avoiding eggs. 

Been taking this and avoiding eggs for a couple of months, but there has been no noticeable improvement. Everything else is normal. Emotionally I'm normal- no anxiety, depression, etc. The SOB seems to be the only symptom of something, but always comes back worse, until a year and half ago when it came back and has remained since. I feel like I shouldn't have to do breath holding exercises every day just to maintain my breathing well enough to do every day things. 

Does anyone have any idea of a possible underlying cause?

2021/2022 UPDATE:
Since my original post about 3-1/2 years ago, a lot has happened, so I’d like to update the post to share with others who come across this what I’ve done since then.

I have maintained a weekly Buteyko method breathing exercise regimen where I do a few of these breathing exercises 3-4 times a week in the morning. This, in combination with daily light to moderate exercise (specifically weight lifting, with 1 or 2 days a week of walking and light jogging), I feel has kept the air hunger symptoms tolerable and manageable. I have mostly good days with some not-so-good days, but doing a breathing exercise and knowing that it’ll get better again helps me get through those times.

I also have sinus inflammation which can exacerbate the symptoms, but I’ve also managed this, which in turn reduces the severity of the air hunger symptoms.

So, while I haven’t found a cure nor is the problem completely gone, I have been able to maintain normalcy in daily life and manage the symptoms through the strategies I described.

This discussion remains active, alive and well through the comments section where others who have similar symptoms have shared what has helped them as well as suggestions for possible solutions to explore.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Lung Health Support Group.

@woozy745

I also had shortness of breath that progressively got worse . My pulmonologist didn’t know what to do with me, so I was sent to a nurse practitioner. She said I had infected sinuses, also asked if I had ever been tested for allergies. Turns out I’m allergic to 17 different things. I’ve been on the shots for a month now and my breathing is better than it’s been for a long time! You might consider asking about this. I had no real symptoms except shortness of breath.

Jump to this post

@woozy745- Allergies are such a pain, aren't they? I am so glad that you have found your answer for SOB and can breathe so much better now. Do you know how long you will have to take shots?

@merpreb

@kalebmatthew445- Hi Matthew- You are asking wonderful questions and asking your doctors questions is not nagging. When I bug my husband, that's nagging. None of us want this and if the world were a perfect place we wouldn't have this. But we do and we have to learn to cope if need be. I know it feels particularly bad and maybe some things don't seem logical. Somethings in science only takes a minuscule amount of change to affect another change. Let's take an example like global warming. Because of an increase of Co2 in our atmosphere, the earth has warmed just a degree or so and look at all the changes it's created. Something in your body changed too to cause this, it could be your Co2 or something else that has changed the acidity in your blood.

It's also very difficult for us to self-measure for anxiety levels. I'm a pretty hyper person and I don't realize it a lot of times, even when I think that I am calm, so if your anxiety level has increased you might not be aware of it and it might not have happened before.

Please try and be patient with this. It may take some time to find an answer or time to learn to control it.

I know that this is extremely troublesome and frustrating because there aren't any easy answers and I feel very badly for you. You are taking positive steps to find answers. May I suggest writing your list of questions and symptoms down so that you don't forget anything when you go to the doctors?

Jump to this post

Hello well I have had a very mysterious turn of events ITS GONE? Ever since last night I’ve been breathing normally and been just fine now I’m even more confused as to what exactly is happening to me idk but for now I’m thanking god and counting my blessings I feel amazing right now and I hope I stay this way I will keep you all updated!

@kalebmatthew445

Hello well I have had a very mysterious turn of events ITS GONE? Ever since last night I’ve been breathing normally and been just fine now I’m even more confused as to what exactly is happening to me idk but for now I’m thanking god and counting my blessings I feel amazing right now and I hope I stay this way I will keep you all updated!

Jump to this post

@kalebmatthew445- WOW! Fantastic, good for you Matthew. Please do keep in touch, and go back to your life.

@merpreb

@woozy745- Allergies are such a pain, aren't they? I am so glad that you have found your answer for SOB and can breathe so much better now. Do you know how long you will have to take shots?

Jump to this post

I have to take them for 2 years and I’m supposed to be immune to my present allergies f rom then on. Long time, but it’s worth it to be able to breathe!

@gabrielm

@kalebmatthew445 sorry to hear you’re experiencing this. I know exactly how you feel. You’re definitely not alone in this. It’s a mysterious condition that can be scary at times, but the first thing to help calm the nerves is to realize that it’s not going to kill you. You will be fine and you will get better. Please go through all the comments- I know, there are A LOT!- but there are many solutions that many of us have tried that work for some people at least to some degree. It doesn’t hurt to try them since most are natural methods. It’s good to experiment until it gets under control. But keep close to us here and let us know how things go and post any questions you have. We’re all in this together.

Jump to this post

Well everyone I have some sad news it’s back I’m so fed up and frustrated and tired of this how am I supposed to be sure this isn’t an underlying health problem my appointment with my pulmonologist isn’t for another month and I’m scared I’m going to die I understand we are all experiencing this but I’m kinda in the beginning stages if so and how do we kno for sure this won’t kill me im just Terrified and I’m not ready to die Ik this might sound crazy but it’s SCARY not being able to breathe it can’t possibly get any worse then feeling this way but every er room I go to says nothing is wrong and they send me home

Well think about the good day you had... what did you eat that day, what time did you take anxiety meds,etc. Try and make some kind of connection. I have good and bad days with breathing. Also pay attention to the allergy count for the day. Keep your mind busy- it helps. I breathe best when I’m not thinking about my breathing-if that makes sense. You will get better.

@fracturedd

Well think about the good day you had... what did you eat that day, what time did you take anxiety meds,etc. Try and make some kind of connection. I have good and bad days with breathing. Also pay attention to the allergy count for the day. Keep your mind busy- it helps. I breathe best when I’m not thinking about my breathing-if that makes sense. You will get better.

Jump to this post

The day I had no problem all day it started at about 11 pm at night I noticed I didn’t need to struggle for air in fact it was so good that it got my hopes up yes I’m already on anxiety meds but When i take the Xanax it just makes me happy and short a breath ig really but idk because it completely went away that day and it came back last night Idk I just don’t wanna die I got to get In earlier with my pulmonologist they said they would call me Monday and hopefully get me in by Tuesday idk what’s going on I’m so scared this has never happened in my whole 22 years of life even having asthma it was rare that I’d get an attack I try to keep busy but it’s constantly on my mind the unsettling feeling of uncertainty and no closure really as to what can possibly be happening to me the ER isn’t an option as I’ve been there 3 times and was sent home but I feel like there is something they are missing maybe? Ugh this is so crazy to think I went from a completely Normal life to this chaos.

@kalebmatthew445

The day I had no problem all day it started at about 11 pm at night I noticed I didn’t need to struggle for air in fact it was so good that it got my hopes up yes I’m already on anxiety meds but When i take the Xanax it just makes me happy and short a breath ig really but idk because it completely went away that day and it came back last night Idk I just don’t wanna die I got to get In earlier with my pulmonologist they said they would call me Monday and hopefully get me in by Tuesday idk what’s going on I’m so scared this has never happened in my whole 22 years of life even having asthma it was rare that I’d get an attack I try to keep busy but it’s constantly on my mind the unsettling feeling of uncertainty and no closure really as to what can possibly be happening to me the ER isn’t an option as I’ve been there 3 times and was sent home but I feel like there is something they are missing maybe? Ugh this is so crazy to think I went from a completely Normal life to this chaos.

Jump to this post

Matthew since this has come back have you read any of the other posts or tried breathing into a paper bag or do any of the breathing exercises?

It's hard to believe that you are dying when you are so upset. Being upset proves that you aren't dying.

You need to take control of this no matter how freightened you are because no one else can do this for you. You have to do it. See if you can remember how you've handled tough times before and try it for this too.

Make sure that you are drinking a lot of water so that you don't get dehydrated and feel worse. Also you need to keep your strength up so eat well.

It might help to take a walk or go for a swim.

Will you please let me know if you get in earlier to see your pulmonologist?

@merpreb

Matthew since this has come back have you read any of the other posts or tried breathing into a paper bag or do any of the breathing exercises?

It's hard to believe that you are dying when you are so upset. Being upset proves that you aren't dying.

You need to take control of this no matter how freightened you are because no one else can do this for you. You have to do it. See if you can remember how you've handled tough times before and try it for this too.

Make sure that you are drinking a lot of water so that you don't get dehydrated and feel worse. Also you need to keep your strength up so eat well.

It might help to take a walk or go for a swim.

Will you please let me know if you get in earlier to see your pulmonologist?

Jump to this post

I will try them and yes I will let you kno what my doctor says on Tuesday I just want this to end

@gabrielm

@kalebmatthew445 sorry to hear you’re experiencing this. I know exactly how you feel. You’re definitely not alone in this. It’s a mysterious condition that can be scary at times, but the first thing to help calm the nerves is to realize that it’s not going to kill you. You will be fine and you will get better. Please go through all the comments- I know, there are A LOT!- but there are many solutions that many of us have tried that work for some people at least to some degree. It doesn’t hurt to try them since most are natural methods. It’s good to experiment until it gets under control. But keep close to us here and let us know how things go and post any questions you have. We’re all in this together.

Jump to this post

Hi @gabrielm I have never posted on one of these forums before but your original post describing the inability to get a good deep breath or a satisfying yawn intrigued me and I thought I would share my experience.

I am 41F and had these health conditions long before this started for me:
Life-long chronic asthma (usually triggered by illness)
Non- allergic rhinitis (so many symptoms always negative allergy tests)
Migraines
Prone to viruses and infections since childhood

Then came the mysterious SOB, chest tightness and unsatisfying yawns from out of no where. Makes me miserable. Like difficulty focusing on anything else and exhausted from not even sleeping well because of it.

Pulmonologist/immunologist prescribed Prednisone which, I think, helped some but the miserable inability to breathe deeply came right back when the meds were gone. Back to the same Dr and she trys adding a new inhaler to my daily regimen. I want that to help so much but nope, I still can't get no satisfaction. Back to the same Dr who starts sending me for every test imaginable. Lungs, heart, ENT, allergies, CT scans, lung function, stress test, a gazillion labs. Honestly nothing is showing up, my asthma is not that severe and seems pretty well under control. The only exception are the labs for my immune system were not great. She confirmed that I had been properly vaccinated as a child and then said the tests showed some kind of immuno-dysfunction. So she sent me to get a test vaccine to see what would happen. First labs after that were fine, I still had immunity. My doctor all throughout this has been thorough and kind, she says we have to wait to see over time to see if I retain my new immunity.

The pulmonologist believes me regarding the breathing problem, which is something at least. She has me start steroid nasal rinses. If you haven't done those every morning, you are really missing out, let me tell you. The pulmonologist wonders could it be vocal chord dysfunction and sends me to a voice therapist while we wait to retest. The voice therapist is great and compares notes with the ENT but rules out VCD. She however suggests Prilosec in case it's GERD. Sure why not? I'm just a test subject now anyway.

Meanwhile, I am still miserable and feeling like I can't breathe well, even though the results of the all the tests so far show I'm supposedly fine. It's slightly comforting to know you aren't dying when it feels like you are. Discouraged and desperate. I started searching online for clues. I try breathing exercises, calming exercises. Changing diet. Making sure I am not stressed. Drinking more water. And searching the most remote forums of the medical internet. I find a lot of people complain of similar symptoms but no one has an answer. Such a mystery. And then one day, I stumbled on to something. The article talked about Mast Cell Activation Syndrome. I was like, oh great another one of those internet conditions that people use as an excuse for why they can't eat gluten or dairy or any other foods that people all over the globe have consistently eaten for millennia. Nope I definitely don't want to have that. But the symptoms list included a bunch of stuff that I had always struggled with AND the feeling like you couldn't get a satisfying breath. Consider me curious. Not enough to buy the books sold by internet doctors but definitely wondering if there was anything that others had found worked to help the breathing thing. Remarkably the treatment seemed consistent across multiple sites and it wasn't some kind of expensive supplement or exclusive diet. It was a regimen of antihistamines. What??? No way that would do anything. But gosh...it can't hurt to ask the Dr., right?

So when I went back for blood work the Dr asked how I was doing? I said I was still feeling that struggle to breathe deeply and I couldn't remember the last time I had a satisfying yawn. And she stopped what she was doing and said, "the mind and the body are very connected. What has been going on at home lately? Have you thought about seeing a therapist?" I was immediately so frustrated and felt tears welling up in my eyes. Not the best way to prove I was emotionally and mentally sound. Lol However I got myself together and firmly said, "Look everything at home is fine. Except me, because I feel like I can't breathe. And not being able to yawn, as freaking crazy as that sounds, is what is making me miserable and it's not the other way around at all. But I assured her I was willing to try ANYTHING and would call a therapist. However, I finally mustered up the nerve to tell her I also had an idea I wanted to run by her. So I told her about my internet research. And learning about MCAS. That is all the doctor's very favorite thing, when their patients google the things they spent years and years and years of their lives studying. I'm sure she was just patiently humoring me and didn't think it was going to work. But she agreed that the extra doses of antihistamines wouldn't be dangerous even if they didn't help.

So I went home and got my meds together. I decided to do Claritin, Zyrtec and Zantac (instead of Prilosec) twice a day and just see what would happen. Yeah that was before we knew about Zantac's evil cancer causing properties. I ended up switching that out for Pepcid. Honestly I don't think I had my hopes all that high that it was going to help and for the first couple days I don't think it did. But a few days in and started noticing a sneaky good yawn. Not every time, but just here and there, every so often I would feel that satisfaction of a really good deep breath. At first I thought it was a fluke. But by the second week, it was happening more and more often. Ahhhh. Relief. I could breathe fully again.

Going back to the pulmonologist, I was like there's no way she is going to believe me. But she did! She didn't have great news for me about my immunity. And she wanted to start me on treatment for that. But when I described how much the antihistamines were helping me, she was really glad for me. I said I didn't think it even made any sense why they would have worked and she said oh it actually does make sense to me and then some Dr mumbo jumbo or other. I was ready to ditch the new inhaler right then and there and she could see I obviously felt much better and she told me she was really glad but we'd continue all that we were doing for the time being and hope it kept working.
So... over a year later... I'm happy to say it's still working. I have had some brief times where my breathing has been a little sketchy but I think it is connected to allergic type triggers. And overall I am doing so much better!!!! I am still using the asthma meds and have also added quercetin twice daily and Nasal Crom spray as needed.

Obviously I'm not a doctor. But OMG it's working for me. Nothing in this post is speculating that anyone else has the same diagnosis as I do or that what my doctor and I have tried for me will help you. What I hope to convey with this post, is that your health is worth fighting for. If at first you don't succeed, keep trying until you get the answers you need. And if your doctor is unwilling to help you adequately, then find a new doctor. You are paying them and nobody has time for that crap.

I would be glad to answer any questions y'all might have for me.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.