Want to talk about Multiple Myeloma: Anyone else?

Posted by Frazer 1 @frazer1, Apr 11, 2012

Asking anyone who is going thru this experience to share any pro's or con's of this disease. As of now I'm in MGUS, will find our next week if it has progress to Smoldering Myeloma.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Blood Cancers & Disorders Support Group.

@tml

Seems what was sent was okay so I should be getting it by Friday. I wasn’t certain what they needed and the myeloma tests are sent to Mayo to process which adds to the time.

I am reading spy novels now although like to read series so the next one is waiting but have finished all the ones in my queue so guess will have to find more or another topic.

A bit sad as got the notice for the bike/barge Amsterdam tulip trip I booked in January 2020 and finally cancelled. Sigh! Fine before I knew I had this but always hoped somehow we could still take! Since so much myeloma damage in the past 4 months, cannot even bike so just as well.

Hoping for some good numbers when those tests come back. Guess I have not really faced up to the actual reality of the myeloma. I know I need to be more positive and try to focus elsewhere but so hard for me. Did the NYT Sunday cross word puzzle! That took a few days! Have yet to try and paint or journal.

That is why I retired later than I should have as it filled up my time and mind!

I guess I did worry for nothing as it did not come down to the wire as I thought it might!!!

I was reading up on transplants again and saw the 100 days of isolation to recover one ‘s immune system!

Jump to this post

Seriously, you’re doing great! You’ve had so many unexpected things tossed at you these past few months with a new diagnosis, new meds, new doctors, medical challenges you didn’t expect to face and abrupt life style changes! I’d say you’re handling this all quite well. But, increasing the positivity level while decreasing the worry level will help even more. ☺️.
Aw, I’m really sad for you with having to cancel that trip to Amsterdam! It sounds fabulous and I’m so sorry you have to miss it this year! But I still see this trip and others in your future. ☺️
Congrats on the NYT Sunday Puzzle. We no longer get a newspaper at our house and working puzzles online or in a book just don’t have the same feel for me. I love the folded paper in my lap and my favorite pen. But I end up with crossword puzzle books just to keep me in the loop. I am addicted to Wordle online though.

Ok, the 100 days of isolation isn’t really total isolation. You’ll pretty much follow what we did during the height of covid. You will need to be cautious with no hugging, smooching grandkids, avoiding crowds, wear a mask, sanitize your hands and surfaces, avoiding freshly tilled soil and no gardening. There will be some precautions with foods that are raw, especially and deli meats are taboo. There is no 3 second rule for dropping something on the floor, brushing off and eating it! But all of this will be addressed with your pre-transplant classes. It’s really not as challenging as it sounds.

My suggestion is to stay off the internet for some of these things about transplants.

Have you read any of Louise Penny’s Inspector Gamache series?

@tml

Well the myeloma labs were posted and there is some good news. Numbers are down so hoping with a few more months perhaps another remission opportunity! Yes worrying was wasted!!!

Jump to this post

@tml That is great to hear! Have you gotten the shipment all set up for this week, yet? I had FedEx drop my next batch off this morning., and start on Thursday with the new round. As you saw, it takes a few extra days to get the results in on the specialized tests, so now you will be warned for next time! What has worked for me is to get my labwork done the day after the last dose of a round. The critical numbers my dr wants to look at are ready and he sets it all in motion to get the next round released. I am lucky because my labwork for that is done right at the cancer center, and he has the results in a half hour.

Don't look at it as wasted time, worrying. You found out what it will take to get the "ball rolling", so you are better prepared for next time.
Ginger

The pharmacy said would call when received the prescription. Guess it is in process but I will not be happy until I know it is shipped. Tomorrow is my dictor appointment so will talk with her about scheduling as would be good not to be down to the wire. It is already Wednesday and need by Friday so still a bit stressful for me. since the numbers have come down with only one month, I am hoping that will be true for this second round! Revlimid makes me so tired but worth it. I just wish I did not have the bone issues as 24/7 I feel the effects of the lesions. Not terribly painful but z sort achingly uncomfortable which is adding to my stress. Maybe with some better weather. Will see if my doctor can schedule as you do so that there is more time for processing the labs. Not sure why some are sent to Mayo but that is what they do!

@jam5

Confusion concerning FDA recommendations.
Following 4 Moderna vaccines and Evusheld, is it recommended to also receive the additional booster for those immunocompromised and over age 50?

Jump to this post

I am immunocompromised. I had my fourth full shot last month and have been told to get a full fifth this week.

@tml

The pharmacy said would call when received the prescription. Guess it is in process but I will not be happy until I know it is shipped. Tomorrow is my dictor appointment so will talk with her about scheduling as would be good not to be down to the wire. It is already Wednesday and need by Friday so still a bit stressful for me. since the numbers have come down with only one month, I am hoping that will be true for this second round! Revlimid makes me so tired but worth it. I just wish I did not have the bone issues as 24/7 I feel the effects of the lesions. Not terribly painful but z sort achingly uncomfortable which is adding to my stress. Maybe with some better weather. Will see if my doctor can schedule as you do so that there is more time for processing the labs. Not sure why some are sent to Mayo but that is what they do!

Jump to this post

@tml Yep, you have to be your own advocate, and get things set on the timeline needed. Remember, your medical team has more patients than just you, and shuffling things around could result in someone getting set on the sidelines. There is certainly a technique involved in getting your needs met for timeliness. And from what I have experienced, although it may be a pain in the a**, knowing that I had an active hand in getting my treatments taken care of, and being involved, makes it better for me. Of course, I have "time issues" as they say, and would rather have my appointments/prescriptions all set up as much ahead of time as possible, in case there is a need to change things up.

Being actively involved in your care will make you feel better also. Are you journaling this for you peace of mind?
Ginger

No not yet. Sometimes think this is my journal! Am getting the next 21 days tomorrow so a relief for a few weeks. I am not sure it matters to have the doctor appointment the same day as the myeloma labs. In fact, since we have them she can review them with me tomorrow. For me, a better understanding of what is happening rather than talking about it weeks later.

There was a good drop in numbers but maybe because a new medication and it will level off. Hope not, the faster the better! Thanks for all your advice and encouragement! Wish had joined wjmhen first diagnosed but never thought I would go to Mayo!

@loribmt

Seriously, you’re doing great! You’ve had so many unexpected things tossed at you these past few months with a new diagnosis, new meds, new doctors, medical challenges you didn’t expect to face and abrupt life style changes! I’d say you’re handling this all quite well. But, increasing the positivity level while decreasing the worry level will help even more. ☺️.
Aw, I’m really sad for you with having to cancel that trip to Amsterdam! It sounds fabulous and I’m so sorry you have to miss it this year! But I still see this trip and others in your future. ☺️
Congrats on the NYT Sunday Puzzle. We no longer get a newspaper at our house and working puzzles online or in a book just don’t have the same feel for me. I love the folded paper in my lap and my favorite pen. But I end up with crossword puzzle books just to keep me in the loop. I am addicted to Wordle online though.

Ok, the 100 days of isolation isn’t really total isolation. You’ll pretty much follow what we did during the height of covid. You will need to be cautious with no hugging, smooching grandkids, avoiding crowds, wear a mask, sanitize your hands and surfaces, avoiding freshly tilled soil and no gardening. There will be some precautions with foods that are raw, especially and deli meats are taboo. There is no 3 second rule for dropping something on the floor, brushing off and eating it! But all of this will be addressed with your pre-transplant classes. It’s really not as challenging as it sounds.

My suggestion is to stay off the internet for some of these things about transplants.

Have you read any of Louise Penny’s Inspector Gamache series?

Jump to this post

Yes I have. Think there are some newer ones. The last one I read was set in Paris. A great series! I need to go back and check authors to see if newer ones. Was reading some Anne Perry again. Read the Thomas Pitt and Monk series. See she now has a Daniel Pitt series. Not sure if any new Lindsay Davis either. Thanks for reminding me to do that!!!

@mikegordong

I discovered I had MM last July. I have gone through chemo, radiation twice, and a stem cell transplant. It will probably be a year before I am feeling closer to normal again, but that will be a new normal. I will probably not be as active and healthy as I once was, but I should feel pretty good during remission. There is still fatigue, and back pain, but life is much better pain wise that it was. There is drepression that hits me since I was so active and now not so much. Hopefully this will go away and I can enjoy life close to what I had. Hope this helps.

Jump to this post

Hi Mike,
Glad to hear you are in remission- prayerfully things will remain in remission for you. Question, how long did you have MGUS before it progressed to SMM and then MM? Were you monitored every 3 months by your oncologist?
Mitten

@khnielsen

Dear Frazer 1 (and any other MM patients, family members, and caregivers),

I am a 58 year old woman who was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma on June 15th, 2000, only three weeks after graduating with my Master's degree in Counseling (at age 46). I was in the later stages of the disease: I believe Stage B4 would be the correct term? My skull, spine, ribs, upper arms, pelvis, and femurs had tumors. I seriously don't know how I managed to work 20 hours a week and go full-time to graduate school and STILL graduate with a perfect 4.0 (simply bragging here, folks!)

The main point of my reply is the date of my diagnosis....JUNE 15th, 2000... over TWELVE YEARS AGO. And, after having having a double "mini" transplant (my own stem cells and my sister's stem cells) at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle, I am STILL IN REMISSION. More good news: last June I went to a reunion weekend at "The Hutch" as we Hutch patients call it, and I met a woman who had had a FULL stem cell donor transplant and SHE was still in remission after FIFTEEN years.

When I was diagnosed in 2000, the blankety-blank hematologist/oncologist (now HE is another other story) informed me I had only eighteen months to two years to live. I wasn't willing to accept that so I started making phone calls to the nearest big medical centers (not being close to the Mayo Clinic). One call led to another and I found out that I had a lot more options than I thought. M.M. wasn't the "terminal" cancer I had been told it was. Yes, there is no specific "cure." But at least I had a chance.

What to expect...it depends...it depends on the specific treatment, on your individual body, and your attitude...and (I can't believe I'm typing this) prayer. Research has shown that patients who were prayed for had statistically significant improvement over patients who weren't prayed for...and these patients were not aware they were receiving organized prayer.

NUMBER ONE: YOU MUST ABSOLUTELY GET ANOTHER OPINION and ADVOCATE FOR YOURSELF. iF you are too ill and/or overwhelmed to do so, assign tasks to your family and friends...doing something for you will aid in their feeling helpless and out-of-control. For example, my brother took care of all the research for me, since "chemo brain" reduced my computer skills to a big fat zero.

NUMBER 2: You need to talk to your oncologist or G.P. about being on blood thinners. It is part of the recommended treatment but one that my blankety blank oncologist didn't bother with and it almost killed me. M.M. patients throw clots. Clots cause pulmonary embolisms. P.E., can kill a person. Watch out for the blood thinner cumadin (warfarin)...I had real problems with it working not enough and then way too much (another near death experience). The "Hutch" put me on daily Lovenox shots, which worked much better with my M.M. body.

NUMBER 3: HYDRATION!!! HYDRATION!!! HYDRATION!!! The Hutch recommended 3 litres of fluids a day (that includes coffee, tea, watermelon, whatever). I couldn't manage to do anywhere near that amount it orally, so for almost two years (due to complications) I had IV. fluids using my central line. I went through 4 months of V.A.D. chemotherapy plus the transplant chemo regimens. Thanks to the fluids, my kidneys are normal! Even though I still need to take meds for other cancer related side-effects (like Addison's Disease) my kidneys are handling all of them! NOTE: My caregiver was a hospital respiratory therapist, very experienced, and she went to war for my fluids. I'll never be able to thank her enough.

#4 Diet: Yes, I tried the super healthy cancer diets and vitamins and naturopathic supplements. They simple made me throw up. And the nutritionist at the Hutch did educate me on good nutrition, but I was just one of those patients who threw up at the blink of an eye. I got very good at it, and could even knit and barf at the same time! Hey, you HAVE to develop a good sense of humor if you don't already have one. The nutritionist finally said, "Eat anything, whatever you can keep down, and don't stress about it."

#5 Exercise: IF YOU DON'T USE IT, YOU'LL USE IT. Even one or two days down can cause muscle wasting (and blood clots). I tried to walk as much as I could...1/2 to one mile almost every day that I wasn't in the hospital, and then I walked the halls if I could summon up even an ounce of energy. I used a walker, which helped support my back. It was an exercise in courage as well, as it was the last thing I wanted to do. The pool was out because of the transplant issues and central lines.

#6 Support: I tried the local women's cancer group, but I was the only one there without breast cancer. No one could even relate. I didn't even get to talk to and MEET anyone else with MM until over a year after my diagnosis, when I started a support group myself after being discharged from the Hutch (The transplant program is out-patient, but you have to be in the area, within half an hour of the clinic and hospital, and my transplants took about 8 or 9 months.)

That being said, finally getting some support, getting some questions answered, and being able to GIVE support to other patients, was so very, very helpful.

I'm not going to kid you. The M.M. journey is long and arduous...that's the truth. There is no pink ribbon for us, no M.M. "month." (M.M's ribbon is burgandy--not a widely known fact.) While I would be happy to tell you more about my personal experience, side effects they didn't tell me about (or I didn't remember or hear), and the length of time the healing process can take, it would only be that...MY experience. Everyone is different. "It depends" is a phrase you will hear again and again. Just know that I am happy to be available to M.M. patients who are just beginning their journey with this weird disease, or who just need another M.M. survivor to talk to. I am grateful for my counseling skills and grief therapy training as they helped me manage my healing process with a positive attitude and a grateful heart (or so I've been told). And, while general cancer support groups have their place, M.M. is a unique experience. Check with the M.M. Foundation and find a support group close to you. Not a support group person? Feeling too ill to make it to a meeting? Online support and informational telephone "conferences" are also available. Thank Heavens for the Internet!!! And if you would like to message me with questions or you just need to vent, I would be happy to offer anyone (patients, caregivers, family members) the support I so dearly wished someone had offered me and mine way back when.

Stay positive, laugh, and learn to knit or meditate (actually knitting has been found to have the same beneficial effects as meditation)!!!

Karen

Jump to this post

Thank you for sharing and your insight- this was very helpful. I'm not at that stage yet, but MM runs in my family. I am being monitored every (3) months for the last two years by oncologists. They've confirmed it's progressing, but slowly- so that's a good thing. I appreciate your story and the "blankety-blank" oncologist. There are certainly those around.

Mitten

@khnielsen

Dear Frazer 1 (and any other MM patients, family members, and caregivers),

I am a 58 year old woman who was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma on June 15th, 2000, only three weeks after graduating with my Master's degree in Counseling (at age 46). I was in the later stages of the disease: I believe Stage B4 would be the correct term? My skull, spine, ribs, upper arms, pelvis, and femurs had tumors. I seriously don't know how I managed to work 20 hours a week and go full-time to graduate school and STILL graduate with a perfect 4.0 (simply bragging here, folks!)

The main point of my reply is the date of my diagnosis....JUNE 15th, 2000... over TWELVE YEARS AGO. And, after having having a double "mini" transplant (my own stem cells and my sister's stem cells) at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle, I am STILL IN REMISSION. More good news: last June I went to a reunion weekend at "The Hutch" as we Hutch patients call it, and I met a woman who had had a FULL stem cell donor transplant and SHE was still in remission after FIFTEEN years.

When I was diagnosed in 2000, the blankety-blank hematologist/oncologist (now HE is another other story) informed me I had only eighteen months to two years to live. I wasn't willing to accept that so I started making phone calls to the nearest big medical centers (not being close to the Mayo Clinic). One call led to another and I found out that I had a lot more options than I thought. M.M. wasn't the "terminal" cancer I had been told it was. Yes, there is no specific "cure." But at least I had a chance.

What to expect...it depends...it depends on the specific treatment, on your individual body, and your attitude...and (I can't believe I'm typing this) prayer. Research has shown that patients who were prayed for had statistically significant improvement over patients who weren't prayed for...and these patients were not aware they were receiving organized prayer.

NUMBER ONE: YOU MUST ABSOLUTELY GET ANOTHER OPINION and ADVOCATE FOR YOURSELF. iF you are too ill and/or overwhelmed to do so, assign tasks to your family and friends...doing something for you will aid in their feeling helpless and out-of-control. For example, my brother took care of all the research for me, since "chemo brain" reduced my computer skills to a big fat zero.

NUMBER 2: You need to talk to your oncologist or G.P. about being on blood thinners. It is part of the recommended treatment but one that my blankety blank oncologist didn't bother with and it almost killed me. M.M. patients throw clots. Clots cause pulmonary embolisms. P.E., can kill a person. Watch out for the blood thinner cumadin (warfarin)...I had real problems with it working not enough and then way too much (another near death experience). The "Hutch" put me on daily Lovenox shots, which worked much better with my M.M. body.

NUMBER 3: HYDRATION!!! HYDRATION!!! HYDRATION!!! The Hutch recommended 3 litres of fluids a day (that includes coffee, tea, watermelon, whatever). I couldn't manage to do anywhere near that amount it orally, so for almost two years (due to complications) I had IV. fluids using my central line. I went through 4 months of V.A.D. chemotherapy plus the transplant chemo regimens. Thanks to the fluids, my kidneys are normal! Even though I still need to take meds for other cancer related side-effects (like Addison's Disease) my kidneys are handling all of them! NOTE: My caregiver was a hospital respiratory therapist, very experienced, and she went to war for my fluids. I'll never be able to thank her enough.

#4 Diet: Yes, I tried the super healthy cancer diets and vitamins and naturopathic supplements. They simple made me throw up. And the nutritionist at the Hutch did educate me on good nutrition, but I was just one of those patients who threw up at the blink of an eye. I got very good at it, and could even knit and barf at the same time! Hey, you HAVE to develop a good sense of humor if you don't already have one. The nutritionist finally said, "Eat anything, whatever you can keep down, and don't stress about it."

#5 Exercise: IF YOU DON'T USE IT, YOU'LL USE IT. Even one or two days down can cause muscle wasting (and blood clots). I tried to walk as much as I could...1/2 to one mile almost every day that I wasn't in the hospital, and then I walked the halls if I could summon up even an ounce of energy. I used a walker, which helped support my back. It was an exercise in courage as well, as it was the last thing I wanted to do. The pool was out because of the transplant issues and central lines.

#6 Support: I tried the local women's cancer group, but I was the only one there without breast cancer. No one could even relate. I didn't even get to talk to and MEET anyone else with MM until over a year after my diagnosis, when I started a support group myself after being discharged from the Hutch (The transplant program is out-patient, but you have to be in the area, within half an hour of the clinic and hospital, and my transplants took about 8 or 9 months.)

That being said, finally getting some support, getting some questions answered, and being able to GIVE support to other patients, was so very, very helpful.

I'm not going to kid you. The M.M. journey is long and arduous...that's the truth. There is no pink ribbon for us, no M.M. "month." (M.M's ribbon is burgandy--not a widely known fact.) While I would be happy to tell you more about my personal experience, side effects they didn't tell me about (or I didn't remember or hear), and the length of time the healing process can take, it would only be that...MY experience. Everyone is different. "It depends" is a phrase you will hear again and again. Just know that I am happy to be available to M.M. patients who are just beginning their journey with this weird disease, or who just need another M.M. survivor to talk to. I am grateful for my counseling skills and grief therapy training as they helped me manage my healing process with a positive attitude and a grateful heart (or so I've been told). And, while general cancer support groups have their place, M.M. is a unique experience. Check with the M.M. Foundation and find a support group close to you. Not a support group person? Feeling too ill to make it to a meeting? Online support and informational telephone "conferences" are also available. Thank Heavens for the Internet!!! And if you would like to message me with questions or you just need to vent, I would be happy to offer anyone (patients, caregivers, family members) the support I so dearly wished someone had offered me and mine way back when.

Stay positive, laugh, and learn to knit or meditate (actually knitting has been found to have the same beneficial effects as meditation)!!!

Karen

Jump to this post

Hi I just found out back end of last summer I have no support still just trying to find out as much as I can about it my asthma Dr found it he sent me to other Dr he confirmed it
Ihe has done blood work every 3 months or so have had people praying for me
Dr has said so doesn't seem to be affecting me had none scan and none density also
My family could care less always been like that with me
I'm just wondering if I should get a appointment at Mayo clinic to see what they can do and tell
My Dr said nothing I should be doing or not doing I asked him no to both sorry I ramble just fill like I have to king time bomb inside me could go off anytime I have several other chronic illnesses I feel like how am I going to know I'm already fatigued from those illnesses does insurance
cover mayo clinic
Thank you so much hope you are doing well

Please sign in or register to post a reply.