Was doing some research on Symptoms of Lyme Disease the other night and ran into similar symptoms of Mold Toxcity. Does anyone know anything about it?
Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Autoimmune Diseases Support Group.
Hello @rplorge, Welcome to Mayo Clinic Connect. While we wait for @glenb to reply to your post, here is some information you may find helpful.
Blood Test for Mold Sickness,Mycotoxin Test, Mycobacterium …: http://biosignlabs.com/Blood_Tests_for_mold.html
Mold 101: Effects on Human Health: https://www.poison.org/articles/2011-oct/mold-101-effects-on-human-health
Mold Remediation in Schools and Commercial Buildings, useful to homeowners, too (EPA): https://www.epa.gov/mold
Is there anyone else with your symptoms that has visited the house or lives there?
Jump to this post
Thanks for the reply John. What does that complete mold test cost typically? No pricing online. Will be calling them soon.
Nobody else is experiencing symptoms. I was just tested for an allergy panel and have penicillium notatum, cladosporium, aspergillus and alternaria in my blood. I found that source I believe from my own house plants in the backyard that we had 100% removed a couple days ago. I just found out yesterday that the house I visit multiple times a week has mold inside crawling on the walls and baseboards. It's my moms house, but it is empty now. I obviously will not be stepping foot in that house moving forward. Once I have those results back then what? Who treats from there?
@rplorge A good source to contact about treatment for mold toxicity would be the Environmental Health Center in Dallas. This practice was started by Dr. Rea who was a pioneer in this field and they have volumes of information written for doctors about treating many issues. Here is the website. https://www.ehcd.com/
@rplorge, If it were me, once I had the results back I would seek treatment or help at a major or large teaching hospital such as the Mayo Clinic. If you would like to seek help from Mayo Clinic, contact one of the appointment offices. The contact information for Minnesota, Arizona and Florida can be found here http://mayocl.in/1mtmR63. Hopefully @glenb might have more information for you.
Thank you. Sent them an email as they are not open yet- Appreciate it
Thank you John.
I unknowingly was exposed to toxic mold for almost 2 yrs and then dealing with this for about another 12 months . I have spent many hours researching and watching videos about this and I have lived it . It is horrible . Contact me anytime and I will be glad to help with info I have . Just trying to help .
Please I’ve been everywhere just want to know how long this last. I’ve been out the home almost three months and I lived there 10 months. I just my breathing now! All my other symptoms are better
Hello this is Glenb and I have been going through a horrible experience with mold for over 3 years. I moved into a house and within a few months I began having all kinds of crazy symptoms: headaches, rash, hypertension, fatigue, joint pain , trouble swallowing and choking, and many more and this progressively got worse and to the point where I felt on fire most of the time. My head felt like it was on fire. I went to 15 doctors and they kept referring me to more specialists and finally they were about to send me to Mayo Clinic or Cleveland Clinic.i had a family doctor, cardiologist, oncologist, pulmonologist, Dermologist, kidney, ENT, so many I cannot remember all and I am on the road right now . My IGE level was elevated to 12 times the normal, my BP got as high as 223/118 , I went to the ER several times . I was hopitalized for a week because they thought I had a heart issue . I had dozens of lab tests, sonogram, chest X-ray, cat scan, MRI, bone marrow procedure where they took sample it out of My spine ( not a good experience ) because they thought I had an auto immune: mast cell disease which is not good, colonoscopy, endoscopy, enhanced swallow text , and many more. The more my Friends and relatives thought I was crazy, the more symptoms I would get and the others had gotten worse to the point where I felt like my Brain was on fire and I was starting to question my own sanity.
Then we found the mold. It was very bad. It had been growing for what appears to be years between the exterior wall and the inside wall .
Mold inspectors came out and found 3 of the most toxic molds there is and they did air quality test and it was 300ppm outside and 18000 ppm inside . It was very bad . It was in the AC/heat system also. Well not very many doctors know anything about mold and the health insurance industry tried to sweep in under the rug so to speak, because there are millions of potential cases and law suits were beginning to emerge . This is why you see major medical institutions making statements about how there is no proof about toxic mold causing specific medical problems . You can even go back to older articles and Mayo even had mad similar claims; but it is slowly changing. In the last 18 months or so I am seeing more info and major
Medical institutions stating that it can cause organs to shut down, cancer, lung damage leading to death, diminished cognitive ability ( brain fog ) , and ravages immune system.
Well I guess I am a bit lucky because so far not much lung damage and no cancer yet, but I have all of the rest . There no cure. There are some treatments to help your body eliminate the mycotoxins, which is a must or like several “ doctors “ have told me if I do nothing it will eventually kill me . I am 67 ( high risk group ) sand Medicare will not lay for the blood test . I haven’t tried to appeal this and it probably will probably pay eventually . The urine test is the least expensive and they will pay for that and according to the specialist I go to now if you have mycotoxins in your urine they are in your blood . They also did a nasal swab , not sure what they call it but it was not fun and I had fungi and bacteria from the mold there. My body is producing way too much histamine now which causes so many problems . Any allergy I had before they seem like they are 10 times worse now . I forgot to mention : I have adult asthma now so I carry an inhaler 24/7 and have to use it frequently. I live in DFW Texas and it was difficult to find a doctor to help me . I had UTSW set up an appointment with a immunologist ( took 3 months ) and his office called and cancelled 2 days prior and doctor said he does not treat mold . It is crazy . This is a real issue and there are probably thousands of people that are having a variety of symptoms and don’t even realize they have been exposed and doctors have misdiagnosed and labeling it auto immune ( which they don’t know that much about ID either ) it is shameful what the health insurance big bucks has covered up . I got lucky and was referred to a Dermologist that actually spent 2 year off of work dealing with personal mold poisoning and she has helped me with much info . She told me that 75% of people metabolize the mycotoxins and eliminate these naturally but 25% of people don’t , I am in that lucky group. Check the laws in your state and there may be something about mold and landlord tenant statutes where they have to refund you and you move . I would get out of ASAP. The longer you stay the more damage to your health. Contact me and I will be glad to give you all the info I have . I don’t want any money or anything out of this . I want this information to get out to as many people as possible . I hired a lawyer and going after the people on the house legally because we have proof they were aware of it . Take care . Good luck . Glen B
How are you now! I’m having this issue. I know I need a swab my problems lye in my sinus I think which is making it difficult to breathe. I was there only 10 months. I have been out all most 3. When does this breathing issue end?
Hello @shart78, Welcome to Mayo Clinic Connect. I see that you are replying to @glenb but he may not be following the discussion anymore. You will notice that I typed his Connect member name @glenb which should send him an email notification of this post. Hopefully he can provide more information or suggestions for you.
I'm glad to hear that you are out of the home with the mold problem and have been out 3 months. Have you seen a doctor or had any tests done?
No test done! Just lung Xrays and Ent dr. They say my lungs look normal! Just congestion in my throat that won’t go away
Maybe a post nasal drip, or allergy?
Connect with thousands of patients and caregivers for support and answers.
Already have an account? Sign In