Mesenteric Panniculitis or Sclerosing Mesenteritis

Posted by BillyMac65 @billymac65, Dec 6, 2012

I thought I would start a discussion for patients with Mesenteric Panniculitis. From what I know, this auto-immune disorder has three stages to it, each with differing names (Mesenteric Panniculitis, Schlerosing Mesenteritis, Retractile Mesenteritis). Typically, this appears to be in older individuals with some other under-lying problem (Lymphoma, tumor, diverticulitis).

I have an atypical presentation because I do not have an underlying cause. The doctors seem to be hoping for Lymphoma to appear so they can treat it and have the auto-immune go away. I am interested in hearing from others with this. I had this diagnosed in 2011, so I am interested in hearing more about what this is like to live with. I want to hear from others who also have an atypical presentation. Did is come back? Also interested in hearing from those with Lymphoma. How was the treatment? Did it address the auto-immune?

Pretty much, I am interested in hearing from anyone who has had this, so i can better understand it, and not feel so alone with this!!

Bill

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Digestive Health Support Group.

@gussypup333

Anyone get diarrhea as a symptom?

Jump to this post

You bet ya gussypup333! Everyday many times usually and when I’m in a bad spell -it’s like non stop with back labour pain. 😳-and you!?

@gussypup333

Anyone get diarrhea as a symptom?

Jump to this post

Yes, especially during a flare up!

@colleenyoung

Hi @elle1233,
I see that you wanted to share link to information to share with fellow members. You will be able to add URLs to your posts in a few days. There is a brief period where new members can't post links. We do this to deter spammers and keep the community safe. Clearly the links you wanted to post were not spam. Please allow me to post them for you.

- Dr. Calvin Coffey's TED talk https://youtu.be/pP-h001GyP8
- The mesentery: structure, function, and role in disease by J Calvin Coffey and D Peter O'Leary, PhD (2016) https://www.researchgate.net/publication/309040884_The_mesentery_structure_function_and_role_in_disease

Jump to this post

oops, that was "for" doing this, in regard to my reply to you! Hey, however is in charge, we need an edit function for the comments! I do, anyway, for all my typos! 🙂

I’m new here. 38 year old male. I was experiencing flank pain and my urologist thought I might have kidney stones, so he ordered a CT. Came back with: There is very mild hazy fat infiltration at the root of the mesentery
with associated scattered subcentimeter nodes; these findings reflect a nonspecific inflammatory process such as Mesenteric panniculitis. Having a follow up CT in 3-6 months.

Welcome @gussypup333 . Did they give you anything to help with the inflammation? Or for the pain?

@kimh

Welcome @gussypup333 . Did they give you anything to help with the inflammation? Or for the pain?

Jump to this post

Not yet. The urologist deferred me to my PCP, who is recommending I see a GI, who I am seeing next week.

That's good to know. I will let you know what I am on and leave it to your research skills lol. For the inflammation: Prednisone 5 mg. (I started out at 40 mg.), Tamoxifen 20 mg and Azathioprine 200 mg. (I have to get my blood tested because of this drug, I believe). For pain: Targin 5 mg and for breakthrough pain: Oxycodone. I have huge problems with sleep (the main suspect is the Prednisone), so I am also on a drop (0.2 mg) of THC before going to bed at night. I hope this helps!

@kimh

That's good to know. I will let you know what I am on and leave it to your research skills lol. For the inflammation: Prednisone 5 mg. (I started out at 40 mg.), Tamoxifen 20 mg and Azathioprine 200 mg. (I have to get my blood tested because of this drug, I believe). For pain: Targin 5 mg and for breakthrough pain: Oxycodone. I have huge problems with sleep (the main suspect is the Prednisone), so I am also on a drop (0.2 mg) of THC before going to bed at night. I hope this helps!

Jump to this post

Thanks so much for the information.

I hope it is helpful for you!

Hi - I'm new to this. Was recently diagnosed with mesenteric Panniculitis. I'm just starting to look into things and thought Mayo Clinic would be a wonderful place to start.

My symptoms started with having abdominal pain, upper center. Had an upper GI, no ulcers. Had a CT and found mesentery was inflamed. Had a colonoscopy, no big findings. Had a capsule endoscopy, given diagnosis of Mesenteric Panniculitis. I am now taking Prednisone to help with the inflammation. I'm waiting for my next office visit with Gastro to figure out what next steps are.

Any insight on this diagnosis would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Please sign in or register to post a reply.