Ovarian Cancer: Should I go on Maintenance Therapy?

Posted by dianainstaug @dianainstaug, Oct 7, 2020

Hello
My name is Diana and I was diagnosed with Stage 3B ovarian cancer in April. Just finished my last chemo treatment two weeks ago. I need to decide if I want to go on a maintenance drug (Neraparid) or not. I am BRCA neg, but am HRD positive and have a high LOH score. From what I could decipher from the trial done with this drug, it looks like I could on avg only add 10 months of progression free survival. I am still dealing with the neuropathy side effect in my feet from chemo. I can’t imagine starting a new drug now, even if it is not as potent as my chemo drugs. I also really don’t want to be feeling sick and tired for a year or two, if I have those side effects. I have been on medical leave but have to return to work in a few weeks at an elementary school. Possible side effects and monthly blood draws, just seems like a challenge when working full time. My question to the group is if there is anyone who has chosen not to go on a maintenance drug. How are you doing? Is there anyone who has gone on the maintenance drug but wishes they had not? I really want to give my body a chance to heal from chemo. and I really am trying to make healthy lifestyle choices (diet, exercise, sleep, emotional support, etc.) in hopes to support my bodies own healing abilities. I am thrilled Mayo offers integrative health support and have been taking advantage of all that is offered!

To Stparker54… CA125=34; HE4,S=158

REPLY
@starko

To Stparker54… CA125=34; HE4,S=158

Jump to this post

Starko: your CA125 level still looks good. I don't know enough about HE4,S to say what's normal or not stparker54

REPLY
@stparker54

Starko: your CA125 level still looks good. I don't know enough about HE4,S to say what's normal or not stparker54

Jump to this post

Standards are CA125<=30; HE4, S<=140. I am over the standard readings, but more important is the fact that they both have been rising for the past 4 consecutive tumor markers. It is the beginning of a spread.

REPLY

starko: I am sorry to hear this. Have you taken CT-Scans to confirm this?stparker54

REPLY
@stparker54

starko: I am sorry to hear this. Have you taken CT-Scans to confirm this?stparker54

Jump to this post

Stparker54: yes, I did a CT scan about 6 weeks ago and it was all clear, but my oncologist says it is too soon to tell. I am going to Mayo, AZ in November to have a PET/Ct scan, etc.

REPLY
Please sign in or register to post a reply.