Let’s Go Walking! Join me for a virtual walking support group

Posted by Becky, Volunteer Mentor @becsbuddy, Feb 19, 2020

Many of you living with cancer or an autoimmune disease, like me, deal with daily fatigue. You know that exercise is so important to your health, but it’s so hard. There’s always an excuse: it’s too cold or hot, it’s going to rain or it’s raining, or it’s snowy and icy, or I just don’t want to. I, too, have all these excuses, but I have a new rescue dog who wants to go out and who doesn’t care about my excuses! And I’ve got traction devices for my boots.Now I just need a walking group who will keep me accountable. People who say, ‘let’s go for a walk.'

And I thought: What about my virtual friends on MayoClinicConnect?

Mayo Clinic has an easy 12-week walking program to get us started! Here’s the link:
- Get walking with this 12-week walking schedule https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/get-walking-with-this-12-week-walking-schedule/

So let’s form a virtual walking group. We can agree to walk every day and encourage each other through Connect. We can walk outdoors, in a mall, or in the red center, or in the hallways of our apartment building.

Who’s in? Who’s going to join me?

Come on, Let’s Go Walking!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@jakedduck1

@sueinmn
That's hilarious. There's probably lots of people that would gladly chase me if they knew where I was in hopes they would catch me which wouldn't be hard. I couldn't beat a snail. It's 9:30 pm but I’m going to go for a walk now but it won't be as impressive as your 8,500. I need to borrow your grandkids. I'm sure that would put the steps on quickly.
Thanks for the laugh!
Jake

Jump to this post

These comments are classics .... and the humor is good medicine to add to that!

@starphobia

I approve. count me in 🙂 walking/exercise in general has significant mental health benefits too!!

Jump to this post

@starphobia It really does! C'mon, let's get outside today!
Ginger

@jakedduck1

@gingerw
Is that an order Ginger?
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 I try not to give orders, just strong suggestions LOL Around here it is a beautiful morning, but a chilly 34 degrees when I got up.
Ginger

@roch

Let me add a suggestion to daily walking program @becsbuddy suggestion. Pick up some litter.

I try to walk every day at a nearby park, I wear gloves and take a plastic bag with to pick up litter during walk.
Might be candy wrappers, fast food bags, plastic bottles, anything that does not belong there.

I like to think it makes a small difference to the next person who uses the park.

Jump to this post

@roch. That is a brilliant idea. Great exercise.

@starphobia

I approve. count me in 🙂 walking/exercise in general has significant mental health benefits too!!

Jump to this post

Welcome to Mayo Clinic Connect! @starphobia . We're glad that you’re here. I see from your profile that you’re in high school but also lonely. You know, I was lonely in high school, too. I think it’a part of being a teenager . I went to 3 high schools so I think that was part of my problem. There are several discussion groups on Connect that you might enjoy.
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/group/childrens-and-teens-health/
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/group/other/
Can you tell me if there is something specific in school that contributed to your loneliness?

I walked from my bed to the john virtually 6 times last night. I will be reproducing this comment in the "Bladder Health" blog.

@jakedduck1

That’s a great distance for you! Was there a candy bar at the end?

I’m out around 6:30 am or earlier. It’s in the mid 90s and very humid here in Florida. Any rain we’ve had is not cooling it off much. Going out that early feels nice but on the way back I can feel the humidity so the walk is not as energizing. I hate the heat more and more as I get older but still do 2 miles, or close to it, daily plus gym classes. Father’s Day was lunch in Tampa and then n and out of stores in Hyde Park with the family that loves to shop so nearly 10,000 steps. Plopped down on my sofa when we got home and took a nap.

Keep up the walking…doesn’t matter how fast or how long as long as you’re moving.

FL Mary

@imallears
No unfortunately. I haven't had a candy bar since getting out of the “home”/prison after being in the hospital. oh, I really know about being in the hospital is that my friend was trying to contact me for a couple of days, but I never answered the phone and so she came over and found me unconscious in my living room. Just speculating, but I suspect I had a series of seizures (Status Epilepticus) and was put in an induced coma. I'm getting some medical records today, so hopefully that will shed some light on what happened. I've been gaining weight and want to get rid of it. I've lost 22 pounds so far but more to go. All 17 candy dishes are empty. It's the saddest sight I've ever seen.
You know, I would've walked to the end of the earth if there was a candy bar waiting.
Did you devour another innocent octopus at lunch?
Take care,
Jake

Please sign in or register to post a reply.