Let’s Go Walking! Join me for a virtual walking support group

Posted by Becky, Volunteer Mentor @becsbuddy, Feb 19, 2020

Many of you living with cancer or an autoimmune disease, like me, deal with daily fatigue. You know that exercise is so important to your health, but it’s so hard. There’s always an excuse: it’s too cold or hot, it’s going to rain or it’s raining, or it’s snowy and icy, or I just don’t want to. I, too, have all these excuses, but I have a new rescue dog who wants to go out and who doesn’t care about my excuses! And I’ve got traction devices for my boots.Now I just need a walking group who will keep me accountable. People who say, ‘let’s go for a walk.'

And I thought: What about my virtual friends on MayoClinicConnect?

Mayo Clinic has an easy 12-week walking program to get us started! Here’s the link:
- Get walking with this 12-week walking schedule https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/get-walking-with-this-12-week-walking-schedule/

So let’s form a virtual walking group. We can agree to walk every day and encourage each other through Connect. We can walk outdoors, in a mall, or in the red center, or in the hallways of our apartment building.

Who’s in? Who’s going to join me?

Come on, Let’s Go Walking!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@imallears

@sueinmn
That’s a whole lot of walking but at least you had a destination….that makes a big difference. We just have the same old route walking around the same old streets waving at people we don’t know in cars. You have to get in a car and drive to anyplace interesting to walk and it’s just too dang dark to do that right now. In the fall, walking in the Tarpon Springs area around the canals is great…get to see dolphins…..but it takes a minimum of 20 minutes to drive there. My walking is just exercise…not too much fun unless you have someone with you or meet one of the walkers along the way. Even the deer are hiding from the heat lately.

FL Mary

Jump to this post

FL Mary, Maybe it's time to look for a walking buddy? Any idea how to find one near you? In TX mine are "built in" other close by, retired neighbors or younger neighbors' kids when Mama needs a break from chaos in her RV or trailer.
Here in MN, I either arrange to meet up with friends, watch for a neighbor to walk by, or do a "walk along" with far away friends - we use the time to walk near our homes and chat on the phone. Started during Covid, and have kind of kept it going.
Also use my walking time to meditate and pray/think about friends and loved ones. Or, I will take off for a quick walk when I am "stuck" on a project - just let my mind wander and sometimes the solution or a new approach pops up.
Finally, my favorite walks are with my littles - to the local park, where they are allowed to lead the way - playground, running on the ball fields, hide'n'seek, or the local woods for tree climbing, nature hunts... less than a steady pace, but lots of fun.
Have you looked for a walking buddy?
Sue

@becsbuddy

@callalloo I’m glad to hear that you’ve gotten some inspiration from this discussion! At the moment, i don’t think anyone is walking—it’s just too hot. Climate is changing too fast! Your area around Asheville sounds wonderful for walking. Whenever I went to see my mother in Washington, DC, I loved to walk around her neighborhood with all the flowers. So pretty.
Happy walking! I’ll join you as soon as it gets cooler.

Jump to this post

@becsbuddy I started walking again a few weeks ago, even though it is hot. Most nights it cools down to 50s, so early morning before 8a.m. works for a walk.

The last couple of days, I have walked to the end of our street and back. Won't attempt the downhill going into the cul-de-sac of empty lots, yet. Since I cannot bend over to get shoes tied securely on my fat and numb feet, I am using my go-to sandals and thankful it is not winter! Watching the ground carefully to not have any stumbles, moving slowly, only raising my head briefly to acknowledge a passing car or neighbor who may be out and about. With the surgery less than a week ago, trying to extend the distance a bit each day.

Sure feels good to be out and about!
Ginger

@sueinmn

FL Mary, Maybe it's time to look for a walking buddy? Any idea how to find one near you? In TX mine are "built in" other close by, retired neighbors or younger neighbors' kids when Mama needs a break from chaos in her RV or trailer.
Here in MN, I either arrange to meet up with friends, watch for a neighbor to walk by, or do a "walk along" with far away friends - we use the time to walk near our homes and chat on the phone. Started during Covid, and have kind of kept it going.
Also use my walking time to meditate and pray/think about friends and loved ones. Or, I will take off for a quick walk when I am "stuck" on a project - just let my mind wander and sometimes the solution or a new approach pops up.
Finally, my favorite walks are with my littles - to the local park, where they are allowed to lead the way - playground, running on the ball fields, hide'n'seek, or the local woods for tree climbing, nature hunts... less than a steady pace, but lots of fun.
Have you looked for a walking buddy?
Sue

Jump to this post

@sueinmn

Hi,
I walk with people on and off mainly in the cooler weather. Most of my walker friends just won’t do it in this climate or will only go with me as far as the gate to our subdivision. I don’t blame them lol. I have a neighbor who only walks in the subdivision, which is not very big. So, since I am very fast and usually out only 45 to 50 minutes, I am content speaking to people along the way. This is an exercise routine for me and I would rather not stop and chat although it happens. My daughter walks with me sometimes in the cool weather when she can. I am really intent on exercise and find it hard to walk and talk at the same time because of my hearing…need to face people to understand. My senior gym classes are very chatty we sometimes forget why we’re there.

FL Mary

@gingerw

@becsbuddy I started walking again a few weeks ago, even though it is hot. Most nights it cools down to 50s, so early morning before 8a.m. works for a walk.

The last couple of days, I have walked to the end of our street and back. Won't attempt the downhill going into the cul-de-sac of empty lots, yet. Since I cannot bend over to get shoes tied securely on my fat and numb feet, I am using my go-to sandals and thankful it is not winter! Watching the ground carefully to not have any stumbles, moving slowly, only raising my head briefly to acknowledge a passing car or neighbor who may be out and about. With the surgery less than a week ago, trying to extend the distance a bit each day.

Sure feels good to be out and about!
Ginger

Jump to this post

Wow, Ginger! You keep amazing me - but I get the slow and careful part - after hip surgery, my first walks were maybe 200 yards - by six weeks I could do a mile. And during MAC I think the extension to a mile took me a couple months.
But you are right! Out and about really lifts the spirits. We see it time & again with our Texas friends - we almost have to drag them out their doors the first few days, but pretty soon they are waiting to see us walk up.
As I write this my chime is ringing - walk time today was delayed by morning rain - we are in a "rain train" this weekend, so badly needed, that outdoor activities need to be squeezed in. Not showers we can walk in either - they are accompanied by lightening.
So gald you are making yet another comeback.
Sue

I used to be a race walker. I did this for years in spite of having a full-time job, marriage and children, etc., it was important to me. Next month I will be 88. Cannot believe it. But my walking has been cut short because I had to have a complete hip replacement. So now I have to walk cautiously and slowly and with a cane. Tomorrow I am starting another six weeks of physical therapy. Hopefully by the end of the year I can start walking like a "normal" person. But I do believe that all those years of race walking have helped me to be a young 88.

@thisismarilynb

I used to be a race walker. I did this for years in spite of having a full-time job, marriage and children, etc., it was important to me. Next month I will be 88. Cannot believe it. But my walking has been cut short because I had to have a complete hip replacement. So now I have to walk cautiously and slowly and with a cane. Tomorrow I am starting another six weeks of physical therapy. Hopefully by the end of the year I can start walking like a "normal" person. But I do believe that all those years of race walking have helped me to be a young 88.

Jump to this post

Marilyn - You are a hero to me. Knowing others are "fixing" things to keep going, like your & ginger, keeps me humble and encourages me to do the same.
Keep on walking! It's when we quit that we seize up.
Sue

@thisismarilynb

Jump to this post

@thisismarilynb Walking has been a real go-to for me most of my life. I never tried race-walking, though. When I was training racehorses, some of the most meaningful time was spent "cooling out" a horse by hand-walking them, for up to an hour, stopping for warm water drinks. It was great for getting to know the animal, and we developed some real close bonds, besides teaching them many basics of good behavior.

I hope your PT will allow you greater walking abilities in the near future. Since I have bad neuropathy in my left leg/foot now, I use two walking sticks, to keep my balance. I watch for rough surfaces, and have to constantly remind myself "right foot first" when stepping up and down a curb. Seeing that I am left-handed, this has been difficult to remember! People rarely walk with me because I go so slow, even on my "fast" days ;)) Usually I tell people to "play through and go around because I movitate at a slower speed". Otherwise, I use a cane all the time.

@sueinmn Getting outside is surely a reward for waking up each day.
Ginger

It really doesn't matter how you walk as long as you walk. I didn't like the "contraptions" (that's what I call them) in the gyms, but when I found walking, that was it. Right now I am also walking slow. I need a cane. Hopefully as the hip fully heals I will be able to walk alone. There are plenty of places to walk where I live and I will be there as soon as I can.

@becsbuddy

@callalloo I’m glad to hear that you’ve gotten some inspiration from this discussion! At the moment, i don’t think anyone is walking—it’s just too hot. Climate is changing too fast! Your area around Asheville sounds wonderful for walking. Whenever I went to see my mother in Washington, DC, I loved to walk around her neighborhood with all the flowers. So pretty.
Happy walking! I’ll join you as soon as it gets cooler.

Jump to this post

@migizii….although I live where the weather is harshly cold for more months than I can bear, right now we completely enjoy a beautiful summer almost every year! I walk daily (unless there is hard rain) and the temperatures rarely are above the mid 80’s. Today was 78 and all sun. A beautiful day☀️

@jakedduck1

I walked over 2 miles yesterday looking at cars and 2.5 miles today. I didnt even take any candy with me and only had 1 cookie yesterday and 1 today.
I know, I don’t believe it either.
Happy trails,
Jake

Jump to this post

Miles or km,Jake?Sounds like u r on the right track!

Please sign in or register to post a reply.