Let’s Go Walking! Join me for a virtual walking support group

Posted by Becky, Volunteer Mentor @becsbuddy, Feb 19, 2020

Many of you living with cancer or an autoimmune disease, like me, deal with daily fatigue. You know that exercise is so important to your health, but it’s so hard. There’s always an excuse: it’s too cold or hot, it’s going to rain or it’s raining, or it’s snowy and icy, or I just don’t want to. I, too, have all these excuses, but I have a new rescue dog who wants to go out and who doesn’t care about my excuses! And I’ve got traction devices for my boots.Now I just need a walking group who will keep me accountable. People who say, ‘let’s go for a walk.'

And I thought: What about my virtual friends on MayoClinicConnect?

Mayo Clinic has an easy 12-week walking program to get us started! Here’s the link:
- Get walking with this 12-week walking schedule https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/get-walking-with-this-12-week-walking-schedule/

So let’s form a virtual walking group. We can agree to walk every day and encourage each other through Connect. We can walk outdoors, in a mall, or in the red center, or in the hallways of our apartment building.

Who’s in? Who’s going to join me?

Come on, Let’s Go Walking!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@jude07

I would be interested in knowing whether anyone has tried or uses Nordic walking sticks of any sort, if so has it helped and what brand did you buy. I watched a video of how it strengthens the core muscle and helps lift the weight off of our hips and knees. Open to input.

Jump to this post

Yes! Yes! Yes! There are several people on Connect who use the sticks. I have used them for nearly 30 years (since after ACL/MCL surgery, when they were mandatory for moving on uneven ground. You would be surprised how nice they are on snowy ground too!

Here is my opinion, after using at least 4-5 brands over the years. Brand doesn't matter, cost doesn't matter. Weight, comfortable grip and ease of adjustment matter. My current poles are Coleman, from a camping store, because I left home without mine on a trip. They are not the lightest I have ever owned, but have cork handgrips and easily adjusted straps.

Do you have access to a walking/hiking/camping store like REI? They often have several kinds to try in stock, and someone who can show you how to properly for them for you. If their prices make you gasp, you can just make note of the features that you like, and find something well-rated online that is close.

Things to consider:
Foldable or collapsible - personal preference, but foldable are usually smaller for stowing in a pack
Adjustable to your height - if you are short (under 5'4") you might need a smaller pole so that it can be set to a comfortable height for you
Adjustable wrist strap - to wear with bare hands or over mittens/gloves
Interchangeable tip - rubber for hard surfaces, a cleat for soft surfaces. If they have a rubber tip that pushes on over the the hard tip, make sure replacements are available

@gingerw or anyone else, do you have anything to add?

Sue

@artist01

@loribmt and @sueinmn And my pedometer says I walked 454 steps. Not too impressive but at least it's a start toward resuming my walker regime. Maybe tomorrow? And @jakedduck1 Does this count as a "walk"?

Jump to this post

Oh, I would call it a huge success compared to being in the wheelchair!
Hope you can add 10 steps today...
Sue

@ess77

Sue, I think you understand where I'm coming from.

But, I'm tired. It feels like I've been overseeing someone's care for so long, Mom for more than 12 years w/altzheimers and Rob with dystonia now 19 years. Bob several weeks in ICU. I'm ready to quit helping But, you know that's nuts since Rob needs me. I can't stop, plus, I am worried how he'll survive after I'm not able to help. He's alone.

Since the Klonopin withdrawal, his brain isn't ok. He's a brilliant person, constant reader-can't understand much of what he reads now, excellent writer-vocabulary is very limited now, very logical-can't follow another person's speech nor think clearly/logically. Ability to have a logical, clear conversation is gone.

Now, I'm not feeling sad or sorry for myself, Sue. I'm explaining why I'm tired, really tired. I've missed out on a lot of living and been working through that loss the last few years, to get rid of resentment and anger. To learn acceptance. Of self and life.

The last few months, things have been extra challenging w/Rob and you've seen me deteriorate. That's the pattern. That's our roller-coaster. I never learned how to handle this, so have been having a ball with cognitive thinking and all the 'new to me' concepts. Fun, interesting, challenging and plain tough to apply personally.

You and your daughters are very much alike even tho so different. There's a lot of their mother in them that leads them to be helpers, or you wouldn't be chatting with me on this group, or the other groups with folks you help.

Back to bed. I woke up and began more of this thinking. You know that helped me get back to sleep, eh? Nope. So, good night, my friend. Bless you and yours. Elizabeth

Jump to this post

Hi Elizabeth -
I feel your pain, especially in trying to deal with your son and his many difficult issues. Not meaning to add to your burden, but I have a question for you, one which came up as I watch my brother try to figure it out with regard to a disabled grandson, for whom he has been guardian since his teens.

Are there resources in your city, county or state for him? If so, perhaps now is the time to look into them, even as a stopgap to give you a break with some scheduled respite care, housecleaning, shopping, etc.

What is the plan for Rob when you are no longer able to help? It would be dreadful if he were to "fall through the cracks" in society after all the years you have spent helping him.

I think you have said he is not under your guardianship, but sometimes there are resources for "at risk" independent or vulnerable adults. Someone who can no longer read and understand, or engage in a complex conversation is certainly a candidate for guardianship or conservatorship because he cannot make rational decisions about selfcare.

If he receives SSI/SSDI maybe they can point you to local help. Perhaps you can plead for an independent guardian/conservator to deflect his inevitable anger from you, and provide for continuity when you can no longer do everything for him.

There is a positive side to this - when his paperwork, etc are all in the hands of a third party, your time with him can focus on quality of life - outings when he is able, flowers on his patio, etc. And you have peace of mind knowing if you have a medical need or even an emergency, Rob is not abandoned.

Sorry if I stepped on toes here, but you need to get some relief, and some time to focus on your own physical and mental well-being.

My thoughts are with you. Hugs from Minnesota!
Sue

@sueinmn

Oh, I would call it a huge success compared to being in the wheelchair!
Hope you can add 10 steps today...
Sue

Jump to this post

@sueinmn Hey Sue, I WILL! Ten steps is a cinch for today. Maybe even Five Hundred?!! 😋

@jude07

I would be interested in knowing whether anyone has tried or uses Nordic walking sticks of any sort, if so has it helped and what brand did you buy. I watched a video of how it strengthens the core muscle and helps lift the weight off of our hips and knees. Open to input.

Jump to this post

@jude07 You will read @sueinmn's reply to you, and see she is well versed in these walking poles! I love them, and use them often these days. They help me balance my body, so I am not reliant solely on my cane. Have even considered using them when I have to go to the store. There is no shame to use them for a purpose away from the original intention of a hiking stick. Being able to balance your body, assist in uneven surfaces, and give you the peace of mind that you are moving around, would be foremost in your mind.

And at the very least, they can be used as warnings for people to stay 6' away LOL
Ginger

@sueinmn

Hi Elizabeth -
I feel your pain, especially in trying to deal with your son and his many difficult issues. Not meaning to add to your burden, but I have a question for you, one which came up as I watch my brother try to figure it out with regard to a disabled grandson, for whom he has been guardian since his teens.

Are there resources in your city, county or state for him? If so, perhaps now is the time to look into them, even as a stopgap to give you a break with some scheduled respite care, housecleaning, shopping, etc.

What is the plan for Rob when you are no longer able to help? It would be dreadful if he were to "fall through the cracks" in society after all the years you have spent helping him.

I think you have said he is not under your guardianship, but sometimes there are resources for "at risk" independent or vulnerable adults. Someone who can no longer read and understand, or engage in a complex conversation is certainly a candidate for guardianship or conservatorship because he cannot make rational decisions about selfcare.

If he receives SSI/SSDI maybe they can point you to local help. Perhaps you can plead for an independent guardian/conservator to deflect his inevitable anger from you, and provide for continuity when you can no longer do everything for him.

There is a positive side to this - when his paperwork, etc are all in the hands of a third party, your time with him can focus on quality of life - outings when he is able, flowers on his patio, etc. And you have peace of mind knowing if you have a medical need or even an emergency, Rob is not abandoned.

Sorry if I stepped on toes here, but you need to get some relief, and some time to focus on your own physical and mental well-being.

My thoughts are with you. Hugs from Minnesota!
Sue

Jump to this post

Hello, Sue. No, my lady, you didn't step on any toes. Never. You come from a place of kindness, caring and wanting to help. I appreciate your insight, always. I need it. You are a gift.

I met with my psychiatrist yesterday, at Mayo. He's a marvel and sent to me from above. I vented the entire visit. He said I need support, and we will work out getting Rob the help he needs. He is scheduled to see a nurse in neurology who works with his neurologist, also a wonderful doctor, person. She will coordinate with the doc and the Integrated Medicine Dept for other therapies to help relieve stress, pain, teach various therapies, as massage, acupuncture, chiro, biofeedback, CBT and whatever. I didn't realize Mayo offered those services. Silly me. We know these therapies help and have been missing since covid began. He's had no support at all. That appt is next week, so help is on the way there.

I don't think the time is here yet for guardianship. We'll see how he progresses with this support and then, if his mental state doesn't improve, I'll take those steps. I pray with some attention from others, he'll begin to improve in these areas. He'll never be ok, but hopefully improved from the klonopin withdrawal damage.

I received a call this morning from scheduling. My psychiatrist referred me to Integrated Medicine and I have a massage scheduled for next Wed. I started crying at the realization of getting help for me and that someone is looking out for me. Wow. Felt so good, Sue. Hope is a wonderful thing. Knowing, through his action, that someone is there for me makes an enormous difference in my outlook. Hope. I didn't realize how much I'd lost...

They called also to schedule a bunch of lab-work re the kidney issues and a follow-up appt with nephrology. Also, appt with urology/gynocology. This system is remarkable, isn't it. So, I'm on track getting help with multiple areas. Still alone, but not as alone and getting help.

Blessings to you and all. Elizabeth

@gingerw

@jude07 You will read @sueinmn's reply to you, and see she is well versed in these walking poles! I love them, and use them often these days. They help me balance my body, so I am not reliant solely on my cane. Have even considered using them when I have to go to the store. There is no shame to use them for a purpose away from the original intention of a hiking stick. Being able to balance your body, assist in uneven surfaces, and give you the peace of mind that you are moving around, would be foremost in your mind.

And at the very least, they can be used as warnings for people to stay 6' away LOL
Ginger

Jump to this post

Hello, Ginger. Are the Nordic sticks helpful even for short walks like in the store, in and out like that? I may be past that since I've 'advanced' to a walker when actually walking for any distance, more than a few steps. I use a cane well to cross the street to see my son, but not much further than that.
Glad you're getting out and walking!
Blessings to you and may you keep getting stronger, moving more. Elizabeth

@artist01

@sueinmn Hey Sue, I WILL! Ten steps is a cinch for today. Maybe even Five Hundred?!! 😋

Jump to this post

Aw, don't be greedy now. I'm thrilled for you that you're out of the wheelchair and walkling! Impressive...bless you, elizabeth

@ess77

Aw, don't be greedy now. I'm thrilled for you that you're out of the wheelchair and walkling! Impressive...bless you, elizabeth

Jump to this post

@ess77 Hi Elizabeth. Thankyou for your chiding but encouraging message! I'm so happy to be up and at 'em again. And you, dear friend, have so many challenging obstacles you face every day. I think of you often and send my very best wishes to you for easier times in the near future. Hugs. Laur

@gingerw

Ginger

Jump to this post

I'm so glad to read this thread -- I just got a pair of walking sticks to help me feel more secure while walking and will try them later day. I think they will make me feel like an intrepid explorer.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.