Let’s Go Walking! Join me for a virtual walking support group

Posted by Becky, Volunteer Mentor @becsbuddy, Feb 19, 2020

Many of you living with cancer or an autoimmune disease, like me, deal with daily fatigue. You know that exercise is so important to your health, but it’s so hard. There’s always an excuse: it’s too cold or hot, it’s going to rain or it’s raining, or it’s snowy and icy, or I just don’t want to. I, too, have all these excuses, but I have a new rescue dog who wants to go out and who doesn’t care about my excuses! And I’ve got traction devices for my boots.Now I just need a walking group who will keep me accountable. People who say, ‘let’s go for a walk.'

And I thought: What about my virtual friends on MayoClinicConnect?

Mayo Clinic has an easy 12-week walking program to get us started! Here’s the link:
- Get walking with this 12-week walking schedule https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/get-walking-with-this-12-week-walking-schedule/

So let’s form a virtual walking group. We can agree to walk every day and encourage each other through Connect. We can walk outdoors, in a mall, or in the red center, or in the hallways of our apartment building.

Who’s in? Who’s going to join me?

Come on, Let’s Go Walking!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@sueinmn
Stretching, head up (have to look down to make sure I don't trip myself) swing arms, posture, stride. If I have to think of all that I'll never get anywhere. The therapist said my feet were too close together so one more thing to remember and with my memory that's not going to be easy. Doing all those things at the same time seems hard to imagine. Who knows, I may walk straight as an arrow yet.
Thanks Sue!
Jake

@johnbishop
Do you have problems walking or with balance because of your numbness?
Thanks in advance John,
Jake

@jakedduck1

@sueinmn
Stretching, head up (have to look down to make sure I don't trip myself) swing arms, posture, stride. If I have to think of all that I'll never get anywhere. The therapist said my feet were too close together so one more thing to remember and with my memory that's not going to be easy. Doing all those things at the same time seems hard to imagine. Who knows, I may walk straight as an arrow yet.
Thanks Sue!
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1, First, I commend you for your diligence! I know firsthand how much effort it takes to do 'all of those things at the same time'. And I commend you for each step that you take toward improvement. You are walking a marathon each day.
Last August, our adult son suffered a serious spinal cord injury. He is learning to walk again. And each step is exhausting and a mental workout...and a miracle! He must focus intently on each step, with new tip that the PT and he have practiced.
His PT has given him exercises that he does in bed (instead of on floor) he is making progress. Has your PT suggested any in bed/on couch exercises for you?
Rosemary

@rosemary
Thank you Rosemary!
I'm sorry to hear about your sons Spinal Cord injury. It's people like him who inspire me.
I was with my Dad for 7 months at the Spinal Cord Injury Center at Good Samaritan Hospital in Phoenix. He broke his neck but he was permanently paralyzed from the neck down.
Blessings to you your son & family,
Jake

@jakedduck1 Hi Jake. I'm thinking you won't like my suggestion, but...
I've had balance/walking problems since my two strokes in July and September of 2019. The saving grace for me is using a walker. (I know, I know!) The walker steadies me and it allows me to correct all those "head up, shoulders back, etc" things we're supposed to remember. I feel confident that I'm safe when I'm walking. I felt very self conscious at first, but nowadays I don't give a rat's a-- what people think (and nobody pays attention to it anyway!). I walk with my head held high, and proud to have improved my quality of life to such a degree!! Hugs, Laur

@artist01
I don't have a problem using a walker but I don't want to use one if I can manage without one.
I have tried them but I still walk crooked and if I take a step sideways over I go. I actually have more control without a cane or walker.
Take care,
Jake

@jakedduck1

@johnbishop
Do you have problems walking or with balance because of your numbness?
Thanks in advance John,
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 No, I am not @johnbishop, and don't pretend to be! Since January this year I have had increasing numbness in my left leg. It is now completely numb from mid-calf down and through my foot. I use a cane all the time, but have also added using a pair of walking sticks. This gives me more confidence in walking, being better balanced. It also allows me more of a "heads up" position, giving better posture. The walking stick, or trek poles as they are sometimes called, are adjustable, and less stressful on your hand/arm than a cane.
Ginger

@jakedduck1

@artist01
I don't have a problem using a walker but I don't want to use one if I can manage without one.
I have tried them but I still walk crooked and if I take a step sideways over I go. I actually have more control without a cane or walker.
Take care,
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 Good on ya', Jake. You know what works best for you!! Hugs. Laur 😘

@gingerw

@jakedduck1 No, I am not @johnbishop, and don't pretend to be! Since January this year I have had increasing numbness in my left leg. It is now completely numb from mid-calf down and through my foot. I use a cane all the time, but have also added using a pair of walking sticks. This gives me more confidence in walking, being better balanced. It also allows me more of a "heads up" position, giving better posture. The walking stick, or trek poles as they are sometimes called, are adjustable, and less stressful on your hand/arm than a cane.
Ginger

Jump to this post

@gingerw
I’d sure like to watch you walk sometime a cane and walking sticks too, you must be a sight to behold trotting down the boulevard. Still trying to figure out how you hold everything???
I like the walking stick idea because I'd be free to step to the side.
Thank you,
Jake

@jakedduck1

@gingerw
I’d sure like to watch you walk sometime a cane and walking sticks too, you must be a sight to behold trotting down the boulevard. Still trying to figure out how you hold everything???
I like the walking stick idea because I'd be free to step to the side.
Thank you,
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 When I use two walking sticks, and have to carry something, I use a small backpack. The movement of the two sticks help me a lot, so each side and step are balanced more evenly. Yesterday I tried to step from our front walk onto the dirt driveway next door. It was only a 4" change in height. Had to concentrate to make sure the movement was smooth and not result in a butt plant in front of our neighbor!
Ginger

Please sign in or register to post a reply.