Let’s Go Walking! Join me for a virtual walking support group

Posted by Becky, Volunteer Mentor @becsbuddy, Feb 19, 2020

Many of you living with cancer or an autoimmune disease, like me, deal with daily fatigue. You know that exercise is so important to your health, but it’s so hard. There’s always an excuse: it’s too cold or hot, it’s going to rain or it’s raining, or it’s snowy and icy, or I just don’t want to. I, too, have all these excuses, but I have a new rescue dog who wants to go out and who doesn’t care about my excuses! And I’ve got traction devices for my boots.Now I just need a walking group who will keep me accountable. People who say, ‘let’s go for a walk.'

And I thought: What about my virtual friends on MayoClinicConnect?

Mayo Clinic has an easy 12-week walking program to get us started! Here’s the link:
- Get walking with this 12-week walking schedule https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/get-walking-with-this-12-week-walking-schedule/

So let’s form a virtual walking group. We can agree to walk every day and encourage each other through Connect. We can walk outdoors, in a mall, or in the red center, or in the hallways of our apartment building.

Who’s in? Who’s going to join me?

Come on, Let’s Go Walking!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

I am looking forward to joining my walking buddies now that I have arrived in TX - it's already 70F here, and first I need to "tour" the local grocery as we don't leave much food here over the summers, and only carry enough for our trip. Back to making my shopping list!
Will line dance (outdoors) for an hour this afternoon instead of a walk today.
Sue

Hi! I'm new here. Stage 3 kidney disease and need to lose weight. This program sounds doable and I would love to both give and receive support. Sometimes my knees give me trouble.

@mariasophia

Hi! I'm new here. Stage 3 kidney disease and need to lose weight. This program sounds doable and I would love to both give and receive support. Sometimes my knees give me trouble.

Jump to this post

@mariasophia Welcome to Mayo Clinic Connect! We are a chatty group who encourage each other to walk. There is no contest, it is what you can do as an individual. I am Stage 4 kidney disease, with other health issues. My long walks of years ago, have slowly down-trended to "how far can I go today", and that is okay! Just get out and move. A good pair of shoes, dressed weather appropriate, a bottle of water to keep hydrated, and off you go! I use trekking poles to assist in doing steady strides, and keep balance. You probably know that if you speak to your primary care and nephrologist, and tell them your plan to start walking, they will applaud and encourage you!

I see you signed up as a member almost 2 years ago, and perhaps you have been reading posts all along. What prompted you to do your first post? I hope to "see" you here again!
Ginger

@mariasophia

Jump to this post

Welcome to the group, we have a great group and are certainly forgiving when there is a need. I would think that you have a trusted physician who is following you closely, perhaps they can connect you to a good nutritionist who can be helpful in getting you started on a good food healthy plan. Let us know what you are able to do as far as walking, do you use a walking stick or something else that can help support you with your knee. Start small, make a goal and then adjust it as you go. We are here. Check in with us when you can.

@sueinmn

I am looking forward to joining my walking buddies now that I have arrived in TX - it's already 70F here, and first I need to "tour" the local grocery as we don't leave much food here over the summers, and only carry enough for our trip. Back to making my shopping list!
Will line dance (outdoors) for an hour this afternoon instead of a walk today.
Sue

Jump to this post

What a sweet spot, yippee Texas weather and line dancing! You sound excited, relax and keep dancing!!

@gingerw

@mariasophia Welcome to Mayo Clinic Connect! We are a chatty group who encourage each other to walk. There is no contest, it is what you can do as an individual. I am Stage 4 kidney disease, with other health issues. My long walks of years ago, have slowly down-trended to "how far can I go today", and that is okay! Just get out and move. A good pair of shoes, dressed weather appropriate, a bottle of water to keep hydrated, and off you go! I use trekking poles to assist in doing steady strides, and keep balance. You probably know that if you speak to your primary care and nephrologist, and tell them your plan to start walking, they will applaud and encourage you!

I see you signed up as a member almost 2 years ago, and perhaps you have been reading posts all along. What prompted you to do your first post? I hope to "see" you here again!
Ginger

Jump to this post

I have been walking everyday to take my mind off my health problems. Besides my back, hip and leg pain. I have to get some gum issues to take care of. I don't want to think about it so I go walking even though my body is on fire after I'm done.
Another issue I'm facing is violence towards Asians lately. There are alot of Asians where I live and we older ones are fearful. Not getting political here, but just want to remind everyone to be careful. My children are worried about me but I just can't sit at home all day. The weather has been good so no complain there. OK. Time to get going for my pm walk.

I admire your willpower to continue walking. I can appreciate what it does for your mental health even when your body is on fire. I hope you have a pouch or pocket to keep something on hand to protect yourself. Such sadness with the violence, I will keep you in thought and prayer for your safety.

@jude07

I admire your willpower to continue walking. I can appreciate what it does for your mental health even when your body is on fire. I hope you have a pouch or pocket to keep something on hand to protect yourself. Such sadness with the violence, I will keep you in thought and prayer for your safety.

Jump to this post

@jude07 thank you so much. I appreciate your moral support. I will continue to walk, one step at a time, God willing.

@mayofeb2020

I have been walking everyday to take my mind off my health problems. Besides my back, hip and leg pain. I have to get some gum issues to take care of. I don't want to think about it so I go walking even though my body is on fire after I'm done.
Another issue I'm facing is violence towards Asians lately. There are alot of Asians where I live and we older ones are fearful. Not getting political here, but just want to remind everyone to be careful. My children are worried about me but I just can't sit at home all day. The weather has been good so no complain there. OK. Time to get going for my pm walk.

Jump to this post

@mayofeb2020. I'm so sorry these stupid people are hurting the Asian population It's horrible You be careful keep your cell phone handy put your police number in have it ready to dial if needed .Praying for you and all Asians .Take care now Blessings to you

@mayofeb2020

Jump to this post

Your virtue shall protect you.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.