Let’s Go Walking! Join me for a virtual walking support group

Posted by Becky, Volunteer Mentor @becsbuddy, Feb 19, 2020

Many of you living with cancer or an autoimmune disease, like me, deal with daily fatigue. You know that exercise is so important to your health, but it’s so hard. There’s always an excuse: it’s too cold or hot, it’s going to rain or it’s raining, or it’s snowy and icy, or I just don’t want to. I, too, have all these excuses, but I have a new rescue dog who wants to go out and who doesn’t care about my excuses! And I’ve got traction devices for my boots.Now I just need a walking group who will keep me accountable. People who say, ‘let’s go for a walk.'

And I thought: What about my virtual friends on MayoClinicConnect?

Mayo Clinic has an easy 12-week walking program to get us started! Here’s the link:
- Get walking with this 12-week walking schedule https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/get-walking-with-this-12-week-walking-schedule/

So let’s form a virtual walking group. We can agree to walk every day and encourage each other through Connect. We can walk outdoors, in a mall, or in the red center, or in the hallways of our apartment building.

Who’s in? Who’s going to join me?

Come on, Let’s Go Walking!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@contentandwell

@jakedduck1 I abhor hunting for sport but when people do it because they need to supplement their food with the meat from what they shoot then I'm OK with it. Trophy hunting turns my stomach though, deer heads hung over fireplaces, etc. I think these days we are so much more aware of the fact that animals really do have feelings and do feel pain than people used to be.
JK

Jump to this post

@contentandwell
I couldn’t agree more!!!!! Although even if I was starving I don’t think I could do it. But who knows I might’ve been just like the Donner party and resorted to cannibalism too.
Jake

@imallears

@fiesty76
Just got back from my 2.5 mile walk on this beautiful windy, no humidity 65 degree day. Almost lost my baseball hat at one point.
I am not dipping any toes into the Anclote river woman! Gators might think they’re chicken nuggets. Yes we are lucky we can walk on several beaches near us although my daily walks don’t take me near any bodies of water unless I detour down to the boat ramp in my subdivision. I have always lived along the East Coast and am very glad to be on Gulf side of this state too. But I would take lakes and streams manmade or not.
I remember walking near the Atlantic Ocean in Long Island in the middle of winter with the kids when they were young. The first day I retired 8 years ago my fam and I went and walked Clearwater beach with our morning coffee ...so liberating...couldn’t believe I wasn’t stuck in an office on a gorgeous May Day.

Sun is out, doors are open, AC is off! Woot woot.

FL Mary

Jump to this post

Impressive and sounds like a near perfect day for your 2.5 mile walk, @imallears! Belly laugh at your gators & toes as chicken nuggets!

Marriage introduced me to mtns, tent camping, and river stream trout fishing treks. All so new and grand memory producers! Later came the higher challenge, excitement and fun of snow mobiles, ice fishing, skiing, ice skating and smelt runs in MN.

As appreciative as I am of those wonderfully remembered experiences, Nothing beat the exhilaration that retirement brought with its supreme luxury of "retiring" the daily work day sound of the early morning alarm clock!

No idea the steps or distance covered as I'm out ignoring very cold fingers while digging/transplanting new plant beauties and carting buckets and more buckets of cleared weeds from front to back dumpster but my achy back and hands can testify at the end of these days that yard momma's 5-6 hrs/day has been in constant motion!

Yay to those of us where the sun is out, AC's not yet on, and the outdoors beckons!

@contentandwell

@jakedduck1 I abhor hunting for sport but when people do it because they need to supplement their food with the meat from what they shoot then I'm OK with it. Trophy hunting turns my stomach though, deer heads hung over fireplaces, etc. I think these days we are so much more aware of the fact that animals really do have feelings and do feel pain than people used to be.
JK

Jump to this post

@contentandwell, I agree! First yr of marriage, hubby brought back his "first" deer. I started crying at the sight of the poor thing and his eyes actually welled up too! He let his hunting friend have that deer to process and never hunted again. Yes! Not at all a fan of trophy hunting and agree that those who hunt as a supplement for their food supply are two very different breeds of folks.

@fiesty76

@contentandwell, I agree! First yr of marriage, hubby brought back his "first" deer. I started crying at the sight of the poor thing and his eyes actually welled up too! He let his hunting friend have that deer to process and never hunted again. Yes! Not at all a fan of trophy hunting and agree that those who hunt as a supplement for their food supply are two very different breeds of folks.

Jump to this post

@contentandwell I'm not either don't like those trophy hunters we hunted for meat and a friend who had high cholesterol only was allowed to eat venison or other game meat .We brought ours down and took to the butcher and freezer ..

@jakedduck1

@contentandwell
I couldn’t agree more!!!!! Although even if I was starving I don’t think I could do it. But who knows I might’ve been just like the Donner party and resorted to cannibalism too.
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 that being said, I have eaten venison. When I rented a ski lodge with a bunch of singles (when I was in my 20s) there was a church across the street from us and every Saturday night they had a skiers supper with venison. It was a fundraiser for them of course and a Godsend for us, a group of singles, so that we didn't have to cook. I really did like the taste of it but have not had it since then.
JK

@jakedduck1

@contentandwell
Jake

Jump to this post

Enough with trophy hunters and Bambi😩. Not a great subject for a innocent walk in Elysian fields amongst chirping birds and fragrant flowers. I had a great walk this morning! Saw a sign for turtles telling them there was a path through the fence toward the stream. I never knew that turtles could read!
I’d love to hear about your next idyllic walk!

@becsbuddy O.k. - walk I had a nice walk around Trader Joes today then rest of mall I can't walk as long as everyone else nerve Impinged that go into legs lots of problems with this but I did chair exercises and Tai Chi as well hope this counts

@lioness

@becsbuddy O.k. - walk I had a nice walk around Trader Joes today then rest of mall I can't walk as long as everyone else nerve Impinged that go into legs lots of problems with this but I did chair exercises and Tai Chi as well hope this counts

Jump to this post

@lioness. You did a great job! Never fear and keep at it!

@becsbuddy

Enough with trophy hunters and Bambi😩. Not a great subject for a innocent walk in Elysian fields amongst chirping birds and fragrant flowers. I had a great walk this morning! Saw a sign for turtles telling them there was a path through the fence toward the stream. I never knew that turtles could read!
I’d love to hear about your next idyllic walk!

Jump to this post

@becsbuddy, Reading turtles? lol I've long suspected that all animals are far more intelligent than we give them credit for!!

Walking is great exercise, it’s free, and you don’t need a prescription. I asked one of the many respected Mayo doctors what he did for exercise. He told me that he walks 2 miles every day and that he uses a treadmill at home.
I took it to heart. We joined a health club, essentially a gym owned by our friendly village, that offered a great deal for seniors. It has a walking, jogging and running track with lanes for each. Most people use the machines, although I prefer the track. We stopped going during the pandemic but have been walking outside when weather permits. Once Covid is behind us, we plan to return to the facility. In the meantime, the weather is warming, Spring has sprung, and walking outside can be so much fun!

Please sign in or register to post a reply.