Let’s Go Walking! Join me for a virtual walking support group

Posted by Becky, Volunteer Mentor @becsbuddy, Feb 19, 2020

Many of you living with cancer or an autoimmune disease, like me, deal with daily fatigue. You know that exercise is so important to your health, but it’s so hard. There’s always an excuse: it’s too cold or hot, it’s going to rain or it’s raining, or it’s snowy and icy, or I just don’t want to. I, too, have all these excuses, but I have a new rescue dog who wants to go out and who doesn’t care about my excuses! And I’ve got traction devices for my boots.Now I just need a walking group who will keep me accountable. People who say, ‘let’s go for a walk.'

And I thought: What about my virtual friends on MayoClinicConnect?

Mayo Clinic has an easy 12-week walking program to get us started! Here’s the link:
- Get walking with this 12-week walking schedule https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/get-walking-with-this-12-week-walking-schedule/

So let’s form a virtual walking group. We can agree to walk every day and encourage each other through Connect. We can walk outdoors, in a mall, or in the red center, or in the hallways of our apartment building.

Who’s in? Who’s going to join me?

Come on, Let’s Go Walking!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@wisco50

Ginger, I totally agree about the ocean! I’m an ocean person (trapped in the midwest, haha!), having grown up on the east coast, literally down the street from the water.

I am thinking the poster’s issue about “through the end of the year” may be weather, i.e., winter related. I have the same issue. I live in a great location for walking BUT having had back and neck surgeries and being older now 😢, I will not walk if it’s slippery out. I wish I could just go to a gym for limited use in winter. But they don’t allow memberships like that. Argh.

Jump to this post

Yes, @wisco50, my concern is for those weather days when slippery or with icy patches. We must be on the same wave length because I called several of our gyms to ask about winter membership only and they are not set up for that.

Hi, @fractured, Glad to meet you. Not sure who you intended your question for but if you put an asterisk before a name: ex: @fiesty or @wisco, that person will be notified of your response. I'm still learning how to navigate these groups, too. Depends on the location and how I'm feeling on a particular day. If in the neighborhood, usually 30 minutes to an hour; if in a nearby park, maybe longer. My challenge and goal is to do 3 walks/week for the year and am more interested in meeting my challenge than in the length of the walks. Sometimes I throw in an extra walk, particularly if I'm feel stressed and that I consider a 'bonus' ! lol However, there are other walkers in this group who cover much, much more distance.
Do you walk regularly? Do you time your steps or length of time on yours?

@judyhodgern

Love the tips my fatigue keeps me only able to do one large thing a day and the rest the time I try to make excuses to get out of anything, so I love the tips especially like the refrigerator one!! Thank you-Judy

Jump to this post

Hi, @judyhodgern, I'm glad to meet you! My best energy for the day comes in the early morning so I got in the practice years ago of writing down a 3 item list, Only 3!! of most impt./needed tasks to accomplish next day. For a proverbial goal setter, that in itself is an accomplishment! lol

The list serves two purposes:#1 just because I'm holding a mug coffee upon awakening, don't expect me to be fully awake and #2 because of the 1st, it can take awhile to figure out priorities for the day. As a result, I know after that 1st coffee, what I need to tackle and if only the first gets done so be it.

I can actually "feel" my energy draining away as the day lengthens...strange but true. I try to schedule any appointments in the morning and go from there. I like you already because I am verrry good at making excuses and procrastinating about some things...amazing how in later years, I can just walk by and give a nod to the dust growing! Another talent I'll share is becoming verrry profficient at rewarding myself for completing dreaded/postponed tasks. Those don't have to be large by any means but the promise of a reward does the trick nearly every time!

@sueinmn

I have gotten "tough" with myself about walking in inclement weather. Even on rainy days, absent gale-force winds or lightening, I put on rain gear and old walking shoes and walk for at least 20 minutes. Yesterday my 4 yo grandson & I walked for 35 minutes in "I'm going to blow away Grandma!" wind while Mommy worked & little brother napped.
I have a goal to walk 6 days a week, and except for a few days while feeling ill, I have managed all summer.
Do you have room for a small stationery bike or treadmill? You can often find them very cheap or free on neighborhood groups - my neighbor even delivered his to an older lady nearby who couldn't get it herself.
Sue

Jump to this post

@sueinmn, Thank you for the suggestion and Rats! I gave my stationary bike a few years ago to a friend who has since moved away. Great idea and I appreciate the suggestion! This was before my balance issues, neuropathy diagnosis and increased osteoporosis. I just wasn't using the bike but now could put one to good use. Will look into this! Great people and suggestions reside here!

@jakedduck1

@lioness
Hi Linda,
You need to walk like I do Linda. I walk until I run out of candy and or cookies. as long as you’re eating candy you’re not gonna care if your back hurts or not. Isn’t there anything they can do for your back. When my back was bothering me I went to a back rehabilitation place and they gave me a bunch of stinking exercises to do but as awful as that experience was I must admit it worked. my back issues are from arthritis and I have arthritis in my hands and neck but it’s not bothering me much now of course I’m not very active either.
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 Thanks for thinking of me but its arthritis all through me its hereditary my Mother had it bad also Osteoarthritis . But the 2 fractures gave me the neuropathy in my thighs I could go for the non invasive surgery but am chicken . Guess since I worked in the O.R. I know what goes on. I go to P.T. different times but not now altho I have sheets here at home and do the exercises . With the neuropathy in my thighs gives me alot of trouble thats why I cant walk a lot . I get along o.k. and am grateful I,m not bedridden . Starting a new diet soon that is my goal now to lose weight

@lioness

@fiesty76 I found a teacup pup I think I'm going to get Your right dogs take alot of attention I no longer have at times I saw this ad for the toy tea cup pup he does everything s real dog does you scratch his belly the paws wiggle 😜🤣

Jump to this post

Oh, Do go for that toy tea cup pup, @lioness! I can't wait to hear how the two of you get on! Are you already thinking of names ????
Do you think kitty Precious would get jealous if I get one? Maybe she would like the tea cup baby too????

@fiesty76 I,ll bet she would love chasing it .According to what I saw it goes pretty fast I,ll let you know when I get it .

@fiesty76

Yes, @gingerw, I do drive to nearby parks to walk on good weather days. My concern is for those wet, slippery wintry days when, with my osteoporosis, I dare not risk a fall.

My yards are my passion and being outdoors is my favorite place to be. Not fortunate to live by an ocean or even big lake but nature and fresh air do more for my well being than almost anything else.

Friends laugh and say "don't call her until late in the day because she'll be in the yard!" They are right unless high heat drives me inside.

I do really like the idea of the 3 wheel bicycle though because that could be used as aging and neuropathy become more of a problem for feet; however, the pedaling might not be good either down the road on the feet...worth considering/investigating though. Thanks for your response! Take care and stay well.

Jump to this post

@feisty76 I have a nice 2 wheel bike but cannot ride it because of my knee issues. And my idea of a three wheel bike, right now, is a CanAm Spyder motorcycle. I almost have my husband convince to go halfsies with me on a used one! When walking I use walking poles in each hand, which help my balance and gives me a nice stride. Beyond that, they can be used very effectively against any dog who would attempt to upset me, and to maintain a socially acceptable distance. Not that at my walk time at sunrise there is anyone else out...
Ginger

@wisco50

Ginger, I totally agree about the ocean! I’m an ocean person (trapped in the midwest, haha!), having grown up on the east coast, literally down the street from the water.

I am thinking the poster’s issue about “through the end of the year” may be weather, i.e., winter related. I have the same issue. I live in a great location for walking BUT having had back and neck surgeries and being older now 😢, I will not walk if it’s slippery out. I wish I could just go to a gym for limited use in winter. But they don’t allow memberships like that. Argh.

Jump to this post

What about a shopping mall or big-box store? Maybe you have an organization nearby that has an indoor track?

Please sign in or register to post a reply.