Let’s Go Walking! Join me for a virtual walking support group

Posted by Becky, Volunteer Mentor @becsbuddy, Feb 19, 2020

Many of you living with cancer or an autoimmune disease, like me, deal with daily fatigue. You know that exercise is so important to your health, but it’s so hard. There’s always an excuse: it’s too cold or hot, it’s going to rain or it’s raining, or it’s snowy and icy, or I just don’t want to. I, too, have all these excuses, but I have a new rescue dog who wants to go out and who doesn’t care about my excuses! And I’ve got traction devices for my boots.Now I just need a walking group who will keep me accountable. People who say, ‘let’s go for a walk.'

And I thought: What about my virtual friends on MayoClinicConnect?

Mayo Clinic has an easy 12-week walking program to get us started! Here’s the link:
- Get walking with this 12-week walking schedule https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/get-walking-with-this-12-week-walking-schedule/

So let’s form a virtual walking group. We can agree to walk every day and encourage each other through Connect. We can walk outdoors, in a mall, or in the red center, or in the hallways of our apartment building.

Who’s in? Who’s going to join me?

Come on, Let’s Go Walking!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@jude07

Feel better, rest and refresh. Hope to hear that you are doing better tomorrow and can move about some.

Jump to this post

Thank you @jude07 . I’m doing much better today but when the dog and I started our walk, it started raining! Guess I’ll do some YouTube exercises. Think I’ll get busy!

@mayofeb2020

@lioness. How did you get rid of the pain? Can you show me? My back and legs are sore all the time. It took all my strength to walk every day. What kind of activator do you use? Can you share and where did you get it? A ton of questions, sorry, but I am desperate!

Jump to this post

@mayofeb2020 I replied a couple of post down below .

@funcountess

That (pain) and stress.
Need some stress fiesty76 ? It’s free just for the asking.

Jump to this post

@funcountess, Thanks but no thanks. Plenty of stress particles in the atmosphere where I reside. I appreciate the offer though! vbg

@luvjesus

Yes! Please take mine haha! My grandma needed to gain weight so they had her drinking Boost and pediassure shakes between meals or when she couldn't manage to eat dinner.

Jump to this post

@luvjesus, I'll take 'em! Smiles I have tried drinking Boost between meals but found it filled me up so that I wasn't at all interested in the next meal of "real food". What I am trying now is just adding a few more bites than I really want at each meal. Slowly, too slowly imo, vbg, I have added three pounds so that and patience may bring me closer to normal weight.

How is your new walking plan going? A two hour shopping trip to Walmart counted for my walk yesterday and maybe even tomorrow??? Smiles.

@fiesty76

@luvjesus, I'll take 'em! Smiles I have tried drinking Boost between meals but found it filled me up so that I wasn't at all interested in the next meal of "real food". What I am trying now is just adding a few more bites than I really want at each meal. Slowly, too slowly imo, vbg, I have added three pounds so that and patience may bring me closer to normal weight.

How is your new walking plan going? A two hour shopping trip to Walmart counted for my walk yesterday and maybe even tomorrow??? Smiles.

Jump to this post

@fiesty76 That was yesterday this is a new day remember go for a walk on the wildside now

@fiesty76

@lilypaws, Jeanie, a 4 block walk after your major surgery sounds impressive to say the least! I'm sure you are greatly missing your dog but maybe you'll be up for a visit with her before long? Can't remember if she is being boarded now are if you placed her in a new permanent home?

Glad your husband is helping. Always think it is an ok thing when husbands/dads pitch in on tasks which wives/moms usually do. Creates a new awareness, yes? Smiles

Jump to this post

@lionness I only walked 3 blocks yesterday. I found out 4 blocks was too much. The owner of Paws Inn, who took Lily, Lily is now permanent at her boarding facility. She got everything transfered to be her dog. I wanted to go visit her before the surgery, Bobbi thought it would confuse Lily. Which I agree. She said I could visit her after my surgery. My vet said I should not go see her at all.I'm off the oxycoone and they still want me to get of Tramadol, I still hurt during the day, especially in the morning. I am going to cut down to every 4 hours today, it was every 3 hours before. I have been very depressed, didn't start getting depressed after my first-op visit to the surgeon. All my x-rays were ok, but if I'm not careful, since my bones are soft, I could pull out a screw or break a rod. Will continue to walk every day. Jeanie

@lilypaws

@lionness I only walked 3 blocks yesterday. I found out 4 blocks was too much. The owner of Paws Inn, who took Lily, Lily is now permanent at her boarding facility. She got everything transfered to be her dog. I wanted to go visit her before the surgery, Bobbi thought it would confuse Lily. Which I agree. She said I could visit her after my surgery. My vet said I should not go see her at all.I'm off the oxycoone and they still want me to get of Tramadol, I still hurt during the day, especially in the morning. I am going to cut down to every 4 hours today, it was every 3 hours before. I have been very depressed, didn't start getting depressed after my first-op visit to the surgeon. All my x-rays were ok, but if I'm not careful, since my bones are soft, I could pull out a screw or break a rod. Will continue to walk every day. Jeanie

Jump to this post

@lilypaws Jeanie, you’re doing a great job! Becky

@lilypaws

Jump to this post

@lilylaws I'm glad you cut down to 3 blocks .Talk to your Dr about the pain my goodness when I had my fracture the Dr didn't cut me down for 3 months then it was 4 now none to when I need it You be only been a little over a month. Your doing great in walking just listen to your body Love take care Linda

@lilypaws

Jump to this post

@lilypaws - Slow and steady wins, it's not a race, it's a journey! After my last hip repair, I started by walking to the end of the driveway, then the end of the block, etc...it took a long time before I was able to walk a mile, but because I was so careful, there were few setbacks. So keep listening to your body & you'll get there.
Sue

@fiesty76

@funcountess, Thanks but no thanks. Plenty of stress particles in the atmosphere where I reside. I appreciate the offer though! vbg

Jump to this post

Hi fiesty76,
Taking a break from vacuuming. Are you interested In Shopping for me at Walmart?
I’ll send you my list. My goodness 2 hours in Walmart?
What are yoU buying?
With the virus running rampant in California it’s better to stay at home, and do without, then Risk An infection.
Is Texas getting a strong hold on the virus?
Anytime you need to borrow a cup full of stress let me know, I’ll send my insurance company to you. It’s either that or a bucket full of genuine ash from the fire.
Now back to vacuuming.
Funcountess

Please sign in or register to post a reply.