Let’s Go Walking! Join me for a virtual walking support group

Posted by Becky, Volunteer Mentor @becsbuddy, Feb 19, 2020

Many of you living with cancer or an autoimmune disease, like me, deal with daily fatigue. You know that exercise is so important to your health, but it’s so hard. There’s always an excuse: it’s too cold or hot, it’s going to rain or it’s raining, or it’s snowy and icy, or I just don’t want to. I, too, have all these excuses, but I have a new rescue dog who wants to go out and who doesn’t care about my excuses! And I’ve got traction devices for my boots.Now I just need a walking group who will keep me accountable. People who say, ‘let’s go for a walk.'

And I thought: What about my virtual friends on MayoClinicConnect?

Mayo Clinic has an easy 12-week walking program to get us started! Here’s the link:
- Get walking with this 12-week walking schedule https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/get-walking-with-this-12-week-walking-schedule/

So let’s form a virtual walking group. We can agree to walk every day and encourage each other through Connect. We can walk outdoors, in a mall, or in the red center, or in the hallways of our apartment building.

Who’s in? Who’s going to join me?

Come on, Let’s Go Walking!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@fiesty76

@funcountess, Wow! You Did accomplish a lot on Saturday. Very, very impressive. Completing just one of those many physical tasks would have had me fluffing my feathers. It appears you have more energy than one spunky gal needs so how 'bout ff some of your excess ??? Address to follow. Thank you! Smiles

I agree and wish I'd thought years ago to buy or invest in some of the off site storage units that are so profitable for those who own them. VBG! So many of us don't understand the terms: "wear it out" or "use it up" but instead fall eagerly to advertisers' ploy of "you Need this" or "new and improved whatever". Our donation centers are not yet receiving items but I keep adding to my donation bags for when they do reopen.

@sueinmn, Sue's gardening advice has helped me too. Another added benefit of this wonderful Connect forum, yes?

Jump to this post

Hi fiesty76,
Yes, I have spurts of energy. I’m up in the morning hitting the floor running as they say. I don’t want house help with the virus going around, so I do what I can myself.
I don’t have an off site storage unit, what is going on after the Wolsey canyon fire that got me real good, my insurance company is paying for van and storage at a moving company. I e not seen some of my furniture/ belongings in almost 2 years. Because of the virus it’s difficult to get workers in the house, and to be honest I don’t want them here. Most of the house has been rebuilt, but plenty left to do.
My niece is spending time with me, so getting boxes and boxes sorted out. The boxes are what the movers packeD, but did not put in their storage, they left everything in the garage.
I’m up very early today because landscapers will come soon. More later.
Funcountess

@imallears, Good for you! On a good day, I fluff my feathers for managing several blocks. vbg

Excellent idea; I'll look for it. A "Local Covid News" thread will be especially helpful for those of us in states where the COVID numbers are rising exponentially every day.

Daily correspondence with my close friend living in Queens, NY has given me a whole new world of perspective on how drastically daily lives have been lost and affected while that state and city were at virtual lockdown as the early epicenter of the pandemic. I only wish more across the nation had read and followed the precautions taken by the vast majority of that area in bringing down their numbers so effectively. It took the leadership of their elected officials along with the cooperation of neighboring states and millions of individuals despite desperate lacks of supplies and federal aid, to not only flatten the curve but also achieve numbers that other states can only now begin to understand and appreciate. Proof positive that while it Does "take a village", it really can be done if everyone pulls together!

@fiesty76

@mayofeb2020, Oh, my word, bears frolicking in their pools???? Daughter sent pics of their getaway vacation home trip in Vail area. Fun seeing the two grands playing in the outsized, outdoor hot tub but bears???? Yikes! lol

Jump to this post

Mayofeb2020 Got a laugh out of it so cute he was enjoying himself

@fiesty76

@lioness, Linda, you too???? Talk about the urbanization of U.S. wildlife!! This is amazing!

Jump to this post

@imallers When I lived up in Montclair it was nothing to see coyetes wondering around the parking lot . I did see one so far here .

@fiesty76

@funcountess, Wow! You Did accomplish a lot on Saturday. Very, very impressive. Completing just one of those many physical tasks would have had me fluffing my feathers. It appears you have more energy than one spunky gal needs so how 'bout ff some of your excess ??? Address to follow. Thank you! Smiles

I agree and wish I'd thought years ago to buy or invest in some of the off site storage units that are so profitable for those who own them. VBG! So many of us don't understand the terms: "wear it out" or "use it up" but instead fall eagerly to advertisers' ploy of "you Need this" or "new and improved whatever". Our donation centers are not yet receiving items but I keep adding to my donation bags for when they do reopen.

@sueinmn, Sue's gardening advice has helped me too. Another added benefit of this wonderful Connect forum, yes?

Jump to this post

Fiesty76,
Will finish note now. Some donation centers in Ca are now open.
Yes, Sueinmn is wonderful. She knows what she is doing. been following her advice on landscaping. Most Gardner’s just mow, blow, and go. I’m trying to get my landscaping to looking very good, since I want to sell. Property and house are way too big for one senior. The inside will get done, if this virus would only go away. In reality it will stick around for probably another year or so.
Funcountess

@funcountess

Fiesty76,
Yes, Sueinmn is wonderful. She knows what she is doing. been following her advice on landscaping. Most Gardner’s just mow, blow, and go. I’m trying to get my landscaping to looking very good, since I want to sell. Property and house are way too big for one senior. The inside will get done, if this virus would only go away. In reality it will stick around for probably another year or so.
Funcountess

Jump to this post

@funcountess You sound like someone else . lol

@funcountess

Fiesty76,
Funcountess

Jump to this post

@funcountess, Your remarks about gardeners who "just mow, blow, and go" brought a big smile! Thanks for that. You have been working hard on your landscape and that will pay dividends now for the exercise and later when you do put your property on the market!

@lioness

@funcountess You sound like someone else . lol

Jump to this post

@lioness, Hmmm, Linda, @funcountess's last post did sound resounding familiar...any guesses as to who you had in mind??? vbg

@fiesty76

@lioness, Hmmm, Linda, @funcountess's last post did sound resounding familiar...any guesses as to who you had in mind??? vbg

Jump to this post

@fiesty76 I ,m sure you can guess Big hair?

@lioness, Harumph! Just what I thought!!! LOL and Hugs to all!

Please sign in or register to post a reply.