learning to walk 2023

Posted by msladyborsa @msladyborsa, Dec 27, 2023

I laughed when I saw your post. I too just started my 8th week PO and walk like a peg leg pirate, all I need is an eyepatch.
I have a great support team of friends and husband that yell out to me" heel to toe heel to toe"…omg, I can't believe I forgot how to walk. my range of motion was 136 but my extention goes from 0 to 2..Im still having swelling..I walk up and down my stairs 18 of them several times a day..I just have this stupid gait..my therapist said just keep
at the exercise..they aren't concerned as I am
.maybe a new therapist..will this get better?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Joint Replacements Support Group.

All I can say is, learning how to walk again may be the most critical part of your recover. As you completely heal, your walk will be pretty much determined. You should be trying to walk how you plan to walk.

I never thought, I had forgotten how to walk in the 1stplace.. my best walking position, is when I walk like Gene wilder and richard Pryor on the movie stir crazy.."we bad"..ha..not funny,but I can bend.my knee and heel and toe...walking is supposed to so natural and now I have to think about it...smh..At 7 weeks i played golf..I played 9 full holes, 2 pars and 2 bogeys..4 holes I played a best ball, because i was getting fatigued, 5 holes I sat out or just putted...it felt good, as I get tired peg leg gets worse...I have to get to and stay at zero extension for start...as you said practice practice ,practice im worried, I won't have a natural gait

@msladyborsa

I never thought, I had forgotten how to walk in the 1stplace.. my best walking position, is when I walk like Gene wilder and richard Pryor on the movie stir crazy.."we bad"..ha..not funny,but I can bend.my knee and heel and toe...walking is supposed to so natural and now I have to think about it...smh..At 7 weeks i played golf..I played 9 full holes, 2 pars and 2 bogeys..4 holes I played a best ball, because i was getting fatigued, 5 holes I sat out or just putted...it felt good, as I get tired peg leg gets worse...I have to get to and stay at zero extension for start...as you said practice practice ,practice im worried, I won't have a natural gait

Jump to this post

Maybe you can try to find a rehabilitation therapist, one who works with people after accidents, strokes and similar trauma. Ask for and evaluation and gait training. That was what I needed when I couldn't stop limping after multiple hip surgeries. Otherwise you risk increasing hip and back pain in addition to you limp.
It helps that you have a sense of humor about it, but you can fix it! My friend is one year past a traumatic hip fracture and replacement. She still limps when she gets really tired.
Sue

@msladyborsa, how are you doing in your recovery? If you don't mind sharing, was it a knee that you had replaced?

hi Justin, I'm at 9 weeks PO tkrp. I think I'm starting to turn the corner on feeling better. I still wake-up in the middle of night with pain. I've been exercising and started golfing again..slowly...it's been on the chilly side here in fla..the knee feels the cold...im still limping even though my extension is at zero..im trying, heel toe heel toe.... I think I'm noticing a slight difference

thanks for asking
nancy

Deconditioning is not to be underestimated. While my case may be extreme, the good news is that slowly but surely I'm returning to a less 'Herman Munster' style gait and walking further without discomfort. I was off my feet for nearly a year with a temporary hip spacer, and another 9 weeks in the hospital after which it was baby steps with a walker for the longest time.

It's now six months after my third hip surgery, and it's only now that I'm beginning to feel more 'normal'. Little by little there is progress. What is working for me is taking the long view. Every day is a bit different, some days up, some down. But overall there is progress. It only takes a short period of time to decondition - but much longer to relearn and regain that muscle memory. Hang in there, and keep moving.

I am 10 weeks out, stiff in the morning when I first wake up; the swelling is down but comes back after sitting and having my first cup of coffee. I do my exercising and stretches for an hour and a half and the swelling goes down; I rest up for 2 hours and then walk for 8 tenths of a mile, keeping my foot strait and my gait solid; using a cane for balance at the moment.. I exercise again before dinner and while watching the news but I am wondering if I should be doing this??? Maybe just the stretchess for now.. Try Squats while using the counter for support, and then leg extensions while lying down.. but what do I know?? not having a good time

the more I do, the worse I feel..im starting to walk better. I use heat before exercise and ice afterwards.
intake a day off and do regular chores and the exercises that I was doing from my pt. I thought recovery was going to be easy...I played golf last week, I played most holes.. I was invited to play 9 holes the next day...it was a beautiful day here...after the 3rd hole I skipped every other hole. my knee was beginning to swell...I know I'm rushing this, it makes me depressed, unable to keep up friends..
stay strong friend

@lahipster

Deconditioning is not to be underestimated. While my case may be extreme, the good news is that slowly but surely I'm returning to a less 'Herman Munster' style gait and walking further without discomfort. I was off my feet for nearly a year with a temporary hip spacer, and another 9 weeks in the hospital after which it was baby steps with a walker for the longest time.

It's now six months after my third hip surgery, and it's only now that I'm beginning to feel more 'normal'. Little by little there is progress. What is working for me is taking the long view. Every day is a bit different, some days up, some down. But overall there is progress. It only takes a short period of time to decondition - but much longer to relearn and regain that muscle memory. Hang in there, and keep moving.

Jump to this post

sorry for all that you have gone through, It feel like silly complaining about my.gait when others are struggling with worse things. one day at a time..thank you for sharing

I've come to accept my reality that everything just takes longer now, and try to plan for that. I took an early retirement because of complications and recovery, and in a way I feel like I'm being cheated out of my golden years for not being able to walk long distances comfortably or get on my bicycle again.

On the other hand, how lucky I am to have had great care up until now and regaining my independence. Had my last hip revision not been successful, or an infection returned, the only alternative left was amputation...so as far as I'm concerned now every day I can get up and walk around on my own is a gift. Now that I'm retired I have no excuses not to continue with physical therapy and work towards living a healthier lifestyle. Grateful for what I have - trying not to be sad about what I've lost.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.