Just got my thyroid ultrasound report, it seems conerning right?
58M no known thyroid issues
Due to hoarseness and urgent to clear my throat for over 2 years,
Doctor finally did an ultrasound which showed nodules..
My thyroid levels were always normal that’s why my doctor didn’t even want to do an ultrasound.
Normal-sized thyroid gland with a homogeneous, echo-normal internal echo structure and the following focal findings:
In the center on the left is an oval, smoothly bordered, hypoechoic, solid goiter nodule measuring 10 x 7 x 11 cm. Central right, oval goiter nodule with smooth borders and cystic and echodense portions 1.1 x 0.6 x 0.8 cm.
Anechoic, unsuspicious cyst of 5 x 3 x 5 mm in the thyroid isthmus. Thyroid volume right 4.1 left 5.7 total 9.8 ml. No enlarged lymph nodes in the front neck area.
Normal-sized thyroid with two nodules and one cyst, the solid, hypoechoic nodule in the left thyroid lobe will be examined further: Appointment on the …
In the case of a cold nodule, fine-needle aspiration cytology.
What is your opinion ?
I’m concerned about the hypoechoic solid goiter nodule measuring 10x7x11 cm it is it is very large and it seems that it is most likely malignant ..
Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Thyroid Cancer Support Group.
Don't assume anything, hashimotos disease causes these nodules too. Sometimes drs think they are cancerous. Happened to me- no cancer.
Wait for biopsy.
It sounds like you have very large nodules pressing on the structures. Have you considered looking into radio frequency ablation to shrink the nodules? I was looking into that when I was told my chance of having Hurthle Cell Carcinoma was 50% ( I had a large nodule on the right).
Is your doctor a specialist? You might want to go for second opinion and ask them to do Affirma testing ( they do fine needle biopsy and send it out for Affirma testing)…. High rate of accuracy for predicting cancer. The radio frequency ablation is supposed to result in shrinking the nodule so you don’t have to have thyroidectomy…. I didn’t qualify but it seems like a much better option. The doctor I went to to see if I qualify for radio frequency ablation did their own FNA and the Affirma Testing.
@darwin66, I noticed that you also posted about a medical report concerning lung nodules in the Lung Health support group https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/is-a-spiculated-lung-nodule-always-malignant/
It sounds like you are concerned about your health and getting things investigated as you should. As you may have gathered, Mayo Clinic Connect is a support network of patients where we share experiences and give and get support and information. As fellow patients, we're not equipped to interpret medical reports. Only a qualified health professional who also knows your medical history can interpret these results.
Have you had a chance in the meantime to discuss the results of your thyroid testing and pulmonary testing with your doctor? What did you learn?
In two weeks, I have a biopsy scheduled for the thyroid nodule, so we will see how that goes…
I am more concerned about the Spiculated lung nodule. Unfortunately, the doctor has only ordered a follow-up scan which will be in two months. Since Spiculated lung nodules are highly suspicious of lung cancer with some studies suggesting that it predicts malignancy up to 90% of the time, I’m not so comfortable with this watch and wait approach.
After some research in different groups , I found many cases where people also had such small nodules that were monitored, but while waiting, the nodules grew and spread, leading to a later diagnosis with worse outcomes. Unfortunately, even small nodules as tiny as 5mm have the potential to spread, as I have seen in several cases. Therefore, I believe when there is clear evidence like Spiculation, action should be taken rather than a watch and wait approach.
Since the size of my nodule makes biopsy and PET scan not feasable , I believe the doctor may not have any other options to offer me. I am currently considering to maybe insisting on surgery.
I have a call with my doctor planned for next week and I will discuss my concerns and thoughts
I cannot speak about lung nodules, however thyroid nodules that are small really seem to be ok to watch….why remove a body part unless necessary? From my understanding, thyroid nodules are fairly common entities, however few grow into cancer. They tend to be slow growing and are usually encapsulated.
It seems to me, the lung situation might give the doctor a cause for concern with the thyroid; however they can also be two separate entities. I don’t think you should make the decision to have surgery before all the scans and tests are completed; the outcomes and possible need to take Synthroid are not always a smooth transition.
In my opinion, wait to have the tests and let the doctors give you their opinion. Being an advocate for yourself is best if you get all the scientific proof and you make a decisions with your doctor. Deciding to tell your doctor that you want to have surgery preemptively, after reading a limited amount of studies that are posted, might be risking your health for a “Possible Caner” that turns out to be benign. Surgery has risks, so you might want to wait to get all of the tests done before making any decision.
Good luck! The waiting can be very difficult and when the thyroid is involved the symptoms can be so random and sporadic that you can’t tell if they are real, all in your head, or related to some other mundane cause (too much or too little caffeine, over tired, stress, etc.)