If you get a stuffy head cold and cough ?
I caught a stuffy head cold yesterday with lots of mucus and was coughing and today I’m coughing using my nebulizer. Should I wait a couple days and see if it clears out ? Is there anybody have with ideas about this?
Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the MAC & Bronchiectasis Support Group.
@healthybon When this happens to me, I do what I always have done. Neb ( ihavemasthma), drink a lot of liquids, eat healthy, rest as much as I can, use cough medicine if needed. And now, do airway clearance. No need to consult you doc unless it turns into bronchitis, you have a fever of over 100, or it doesn't clear in a week or so.
This just happened to me and it turned into bronchitis! It started off as a horrible sinus infection so I went to my doctor right away because I knew it was going to go into my lungs because it always does and bc I have MAC I want to be extra cautious. She wouldn't give me any more antibiotics because I'm on the azithromycin and ethambutol but once it got into my lungs, and I'm wheezing, she had no other choice!! I really wish you would have just listened to me. I get these every year and they always go into my lungs. I need a different primary!!!
Good luck 🙏 I hope everything clears up!
If in fact an antibiotic is needed because of the chest congestion from a cold…which one is wise to use? I appreciate your answer regarding what u do when this happens to you..👠
It happened to me as well!’ I was around family and co-workers who were coughing and not feeling great but told me it was allergies. Very plausible this time of year in my area. But my bad, I didn’t use precautions by wearing my mask. Within 4 days I could feel chest congestion, and coughing increased substantially. Peeps I was around both were later diagnosed with sinus infections- which you guessed it— went straight to my lungs. Now on Amoxicillin-Clav for 2 week course. To bellsina- I always go to my pulmonologist when I feel worsening symptoms; he is more knowledgeable about the disease and appropriate action.
( Mine is 3 hours away but a phone call to discuss is all that is needed to ascertain course of action.)
All the Best!
The treatment depends on whether you are on the Big 3 already and whether the doc believes the congestion is viral , fungal, bacterial or an inflammation. If you're already on Azithrimycin that's a strong broad spectrum med and usually nothing else is indicated. If it's fungal, an antifungal may be needed. Quite often the big 3 get stopped temporarily because the combination is really tough. If it is inflammation the doc may choose a short course of steroids. Not usually used with MAC but sometimes needed to calm things. If it is viral you just wait it out. Drugs above do not cure a virus, no matter how much people are convinced that they can.
Thanks sue ❤️