Severe arm injury resulting in numerous symptoms and no relief

Posted by vmitz @vmitz, Mar 30, 2016

I had an injury where my arm was caught under a 100 lb struggling dog. My arm was repeatedly pulled away from my body. I developed numerous symptoms that my doctors seem unable to diagnose, I'm hoping someone can offer some insight. My symptoms include facial numbness and also numbness down my arm into pointer finger and thumb. I also have pain and pins/needles feelings in neck and shoulder. I suffer from severe headaches and developed dizzy spells. Healthy up until this injury. My clavicle luxated and now grinds and pops. I did have a work-up for MS, all negative. I also have tried physical therapy, massage therapy, acupuncture, hypnosis, to no avail. Anyone have any recommendations for me? I have had MRI's that show shoulder tear posterior and some increased signal near the divisions of my brachial plexus, doctors don't feel these account for my injury.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Brain & Nervous System Support Group.

@aliskahan

Hi @vmitz, I wanted to follow up with you on @colleen_young's question- have you had an MRI?

Jump to this post

Yes I have on both my shoulder , neck and brachial plexus. I have been to Orthopedics, neurologists, and various doctors who state my symptoms don’t make sense. Thank-you for your response.

@colleenyoung

@vmitz, Should you wish to get a second opinion at Mayo Clinic, you'll find the contact information at this link http://mayocl.in/1mtmR63

Jump to this post

Thank-you<br />

Hi I am wondering how you made out? I am looking for treatment for my son and they are saying they have never seen anything like it. What did you end up doing?

@cillamac

Hi I am wondering how you made out? I am looking for treatment for my son and they are saying they have never seen anything like it. What did you end up doing?

Jump to this post

I'm sorry to hear about your son's health issues. Unfortunately my symptoms still exist. Doctors are very reluctant to delve into the brachial plexus in my region as post surgery scar tissue seems be a problem later and possibly more complications can develop where my lesion is located. I did have a shoulder labrum and capsule tear that had terrible adhesions everywhere that's was all cleaned up and hence functions better but my entire left side still doesn't function well. I have had extensive physical therapy to no avail. I do see a neurologist who specializes in headaches only that is helping me somewhat in that area. I wish I could provide more useful information for your son. Don't give up. Medicine continues to evolve.

@cillamac

Jump to this post

Thanks so much for replying so quickly! I'm very sorry to hear of your struggles. I understand the time issue, as we are in the magic window, and time is running short now for a diagnosis with a good prognosis. I had never heard of anything like this, until it happened to my son. I know and believe someone, some where can help us. I believe in miracles and I have faith that this too shall end for the good. You might look into a physiatrist. They are in Rehab medicines and Botox injections have bought him a period of time without spasms. May God Bless you and I hope you can find rest and peace if even for the night.

@cillamac

Jump to this post

Thank you

Please sign in or register to post a reply.