I had a tonsillectomy in June 2023 with lasting complications.

Posted by jas0950 @jas0950, Oct 26, 2023

I had a tonsillectomy in June 2023 due to excessive tonsil stone formation. I am now experiencing taste distortion and a sensation of a ball of phlegm in my throat which I cannot clear or swallow away; these symptoms persist still after 4 months post surgery. I also have extremely sticky thick spit/phlegm in my mouth and throat. I must drink with every bite of food to swallow effectively. My ENT suspected silent GERD but at his direction, doubling my Lansoprazole dosage for 4 weeks did nothing. He now has scheduled a swallow test, speech therapy & a esophogram in 2 weeks. Looking for answers. Hoping nothing like cancer is going on. Is this anything anyone else has experienced as an adult having a tonsillectomy at 50+ years of age? I am 57.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Ear, Nose & Throat (ENT) Support Group.

I had a tonsillectomy at age 70 (May 2023) and a follow up lymph node dissection to remove 18 lymph nodes and any residual at the first surgery site. Then radiation and chemo. Some side effects still linger but getting better. It is my understanding that the mucous is due to lack of saliva that would normally help clear it. It has gotten better but slowly. Eating is a chore but I only lost about ten pounds and am now putting a little weight back on. I also have issues with speech and will see my third ENT in December to scope my throat. I sound very nasal but all of my symptoms have gotten better but it can be frustrating. I have been exceptionally pleased with my doctors at Wake Forest Baptist.

@slmoore0626

I had a tonsillectomy at age 70 (May 2023) and a follow up lymph node dissection to remove 18 lymph nodes and any residual at the first surgery site. Then radiation and chemo. Some side effects still linger but getting better. It is my understanding that the mucous is due to lack of saliva that would normally help clear it. It has gotten better but slowly. Eating is a chore but I only lost about ten pounds and am now putting a little weight back on. I also have issues with speech and will see my third ENT in December to scope my throat. I sound very nasal but all of my symptoms have gotten better but it can be frustrating. I have been exceptionally pleased with my doctors at Wake Forest Baptist.

Jump to this post

I’m not sure if I understand you correctly? Did you have throat cancer thus needing a tonsillectomy or did they find cancer during the surgery after pathology reporting? If not, why the chemo & radiation? I’m so sorry you are struggling like myself. I just want this glob in my throat sensation to go away. So awful especially when trying to go to sleep. ENT “sees nothing” there and says it’s a phantom sensation possibly from silent GERD. I’ll have to let you my results from my swallow test and esophagram. I pray it’s nothing serious like cancer. Thanks for your response. I surely appreciate you taking the time to respond. God Bless You.

Yes. I had tonsil cancer and two of my lymph nodes were metastatic. My mucous situation was caused by radiation to the throat.

@slmoore0626

Yes. I had tonsil cancer and two of my lymph nodes were metastatic. My mucous situation was caused by radiation to the throat.

Jump to this post

I’m so sorry. Prayers for continued positive healing. I had an elective surgery due to chronic tonsillitis and constant tonsil stones. Pathology reported no malignancy. It’s been over 4 months now and my taste is still off and this throat/swallowing issue remains and is getting worse rather than better. I was reading all my surgeons and pathology notes. Noticed that while pathology reported no malignancy, each tonsil had reactive lymphoid hyperplasia. Surgeon also noted at second follow up on MyChart that “there is possible scaring from the anterior pillar to the posterolataral tongue on both sides versus normal healing”. He never mentioned that to me. I wonder if any of those observations is causing my issues. I guess I’ll find out soon once the swallow test is done and we have a chat about results. I’m going to mention both things I read in his “notes”. Thanks again for sharing your story.

Update to my original post. The taste distortion, globus sensation, dry throat and mouth, continues now 10 months post tonsillectomy 6/23/2020.

Swallow study, Esophagram were mostly normal with the exception of slight disorganized swallowing motion and spontaneous reflux in a supine & probe position. Suspected silent GERD. A subsequent EGD ordered by my GI showed no signs of esophagitis but yet NERD (nonerosive gastroesophageal reflux disease) exists. UES dilation was completed.

Symptoms continued. Went to see my primary. Her exam concluded chronic sinusitis. Went on doxycycline antibiotic for 20 days, doubled my PPI lansoprazoke to twice a day. Also added a nasal spray IPRATROPIUM BROMIDE twice a day as well as neti pot daily regime. WELL EVEN AFTER ALL THAT…. SYMPTOMS CONTINUE.

Second opinion ENT recommended. Did that.

Finally some answers!!!! An intranasal scope procedure completed by my second opinion ENT diagnosed benign right lingual tonsil hypertrophy (LTH). LTH could be a compensatory reaction to the removal of my palatine tonsils last June 2023 in combination with silent GERD and possibly allergies.

The hypertrophic lingual tonsil itself is most likely the “globus” foreign substance sensation I am feeling. He strongly said I wouldn’t ever want those tonsils removed unless I was having a blocked airway or couldn’t sleep or eat. I whole heartedly agreed.

Basically I would just need to deal with it unfortunately and try my best to manage symptoms:

He stopped the IPRATOPIUM BROMIDE which he suspected was drying out my mouth and throat thus worsening the thick salvia and stickiness. Told me to continue the neti pot treatment, drink drink drink water, suck on sugar free candies, continue managing my GERD (lanoprazoke 2x day, diet, sleep wedge elevation, no eating 3 hours before bed) and suggested using BIOTENE toothpaste, oral rinse, spray, and lozenges as needed. I also added two GERMGUARDIAN Air Purifiers AC5250PT units to my home since I have 2 very large shedding German Shepherds.

Day 3 now into all the new suggestions and my symptoms have been relieved substantially. HALLELUJAH!!!!!!

I hope this post helps others out there fighting “globus sebsation” and taste distortion. Took a year to find relief but I finally did it. You really need to be an active advocate for your healthcare. Don’t give up inquiring researching and seeking answers. You deserve it!!!💕🙏

Please sign in or register to post a reply.