Hearing Loss: Come introduce yourself and connect with others

Welcome to the Hearing Loss group on Mayo Clinic Connect.
This is a welcoming, safe place where you can meet people living with hearing loss, and friends and family supporters. Whether you were born deaf or hard of hearing, experienced hearing loss after birth or with aging, it helps to connect with others. Together we can learn from each other, support one another and share stories about living with hearing loss, coping with challenges and celebrating milestones.

Let’s chat. Why not start by introducing yourself? What is your hearing loss experience? Got a question, tip or story to share?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Hearing Loss Support Group.

@383peeler

I have had hearing aids from Costco, about 2,000 dollars for several years. My problem is while I can hear but can’t understand the words. Do others have this issue and any hearing aid suggestions to remedy this?

Jump to this post

Hi.. Jim here.. I have the same problem with hearing aids from my insurance called Oticon. I went to the University of Mn. for testing and am going to have a cochlear implant in my worse ear and a very compatible ReSound hearing aid in the other. Jim

Thanks. I may look into that

@persia

Hi. Just joined the group.
My husband and I both have hearing issues. I can’t hear women/children and he can’t hear in groups or with other sounds.
We are looking at the new OTC hearing aids and wondered about experiences others have had with them.
Thanks

Jump to this post

in reply to @persia In my opinion I think you would be disappointed with a purchase of OTC hearing aids simply because a hearing test needs to be done in order for you and your husband need to know the extent of your hearing losses. I would recommend that you contact a hearing aid dispenser in your area and get a free hearing exam. In the alternative have your doctor refer you to an audiologist before making any decisions. Personally, I know that an OTC hearing aid would be of no use to me, and I know several people who have tried them without success.

@jimsmith12

Hi.. Jim here.. I have the same problem with hearing aids from my insurance called Oticon. I went to the University of Mn. for testing and am going to have a cochlear implant in my worse ear and a very compatible ReSound hearing aid in the other. Jim

Jump to this post

in reply to @383peeler Interesting. My doctor has asked me if I want an implant because the damage to my left ear is so bad that a hearing aid would be of no use, so that is why I only wear one on the right ear. Keep us posted on your experience with the implant. Thank you.

@383peeler

I have had hearing aids from Costco, about 2,000 dollars for several years. My problem is while I can hear but can’t understand the words. Do others have this issue and any hearing aid suggestions to remedy this?

Jump to this post

I have the same problem. I will be getting a cochlear implant in December. If all goes well I might qualify for the second one later. I can hear some voices ok, usually women, but very few men. I have high quality hearing aids but as my hearing has deteriorated so has my auditory discrimination.

@jimsmith12

Jump to this post

Hi Jim, I am also getting a CI (Cochlear Nucleus 8) but am keeping my Widex hearing aid in the other ear for now. When are you getting your implant?

In 1980, active day USAF, I was pulled from the flight line having failed annual hearing test. If I recall correctly, 6db in right and 3db in the left. After about 6 months. I passed my hearing test and went back to work on fighter jets. Around this time the ringing started. It never stopped and is louder today. I intend to see my doctor in the next few days to get me off of ototoxic meds. I hope!

@frances007

in reply to @persia In my opinion I think you would be disappointed with a purchase of OTC hearing aids simply because a hearing test needs to be done in order for you and your husband need to know the extent of your hearing losses. I would recommend that you contact a hearing aid dispenser in your area and get a free hearing exam. In the alternative have your doctor refer you to an audiologist before making any decisions. Personally, I know that an OTC hearing aid would be of no use to me, and I know several people who have tried them without success.

Jump to this post

Thanks.
We have both been tested by an audiologist. But can’t afford hearing aids they offer.
That’s why we’re looking at OTC hearing aids.
Appreciate your advice. We’re still learning.

@pennyr

Hi Jim, I am also getting a CI (Cochlear Nucleus 8) but am keeping my Widex hearing aid in the other ear for now. When are you getting your implant?

Jump to this post

Probably December.

@persia

Thanks.
We have both been tested by an audiologist. But can’t afford hearing aids they offer.
That’s why we’re looking at OTC hearing aids.
Appreciate your advice. We’re still learning.

Jump to this post

OTC hearing aids have improved greatly. The fact that they are now allowed to be called hearing aids is one indication of that and some are FDA approved. Many are made by reputable companies. Did your audiologist tell you what kind of aids would be most beneficial to you? If they didn't it might be worth going back to the place you were tested, or having another test, perhaps at Costco, and getting more advice from them about exactly what you should be looking for. Do you need over the ear or the small in the ear ones (they don't work for everyone). Try and gather as much information as you can so you are well prepared when you make your decision. Depending on your hearing, it's possible that OTC won't work for you (I can't use them for a variety of reasons) or will only give limited help. Ask the audiologist about the type of dome they recommended for best results. Costco is usually very helpful even if you end up not buying from them, or the audiologist you saw before should be willing to help. Hearing aids are crazy expensive, and even good quality OTC ones are not cheap. There are much cheaper ones, but again, they may not be the best. For a good pair you may still be paying close to $1000 but that will be for a pair, not more than twice that for one. Another thing to think about is rechargeable or battery. If you are older and have any issues with manipulating fiddly things, the battery operated ones can be just that, a fiddle. Rechargeable is very easy and will give you a full day's hearing. If you buy at the very low end of OTC you have little control on changing anything, whereas the more expensive will have an app that will allow you to modify levels etc through the app which can be very useful. There is a good site for comparing aids at hearing tracker which compares best hearing aids for 2023 (as a new member, apparently I can't post the link but it should be easy to find) and companies such as Bose and Sennheiser also make OTC hearing aids, some FDA approved.
Also just type OTC hearing aids into an Amazon search and see what comes up and really read the reviews. If you have Prime most have free returns. Also some will come with a trial period within which you can return them no problem.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.