Hearing Loss: Come introduce yourself and connect with others

Welcome to the Hearing Loss group on Mayo Clinic Connect.
This is a welcoming, safe place where you can meet people living with hearing loss, and friends and family supporters. Whether you were born deaf or hard of hearing, experienced hearing loss after birth or with aging, it helps to connect with others. Together we can learn from each other, support one another and share stories about living with hearing loss, coping with challenges and celebrating milestones.

Let’s chat. Why not start by introducing yourself? What is your hearing loss experience? Got a question, tip or story to share?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Hearing Loss Support Group.

@julieo4

@kvetch

Welcome to Connect Carole. There have been a lot of discussions about tinnitus, musical ear, hearing loss in general, etc. Do explore those topics as people have many stories to share.

I have profound hearing loss and use both a hearing aid and a cochlear implant processor, so I understand the discomfort level people have with these issues. I don't have answers though, just experiences.

Tinnitus usually starts to abate in time, or we get used to it and it's our new normal. There is research that indicates that it's exacerbated by stress. Of course, it causes stress! So, we need to learn some stress management techniques. Rhythmic breathing is one that I find helpful when stress starts to get me down. Have you tried breathing exercises?

Here's a link that explains it: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/324417

Jump to this post

Here is a very new video on curing tinnitus. Dr. Cliff is a reputable audiologist who practices in Arizona. He's known for the educational YouTube videos he produces.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=dr.+cliff+on+tinnitus+cure&view=detail&mid=4F8297C199D2A40197114F8297C199D2A4019711&FORM=VIRE
@kvetch

My name is Carole. I also experience tinnitus. My hearing aids which I started wearing about one year ago are not always sufficient. I hear several different sounds with the tinnitus for the most part when there are sounds around me (people talking) and my aids are worn, not aware of the tinnitus. When I meditate in the morning I am also not aware of it. Lately I can hear repetitive music as well. Disturbing. Would like to hear more about your experiences. I like one on one rather than a whole community. Thanks

Jump to this post

--Apple-Mail-68FD2940-5F78-418D-AC70-5CB810A0FD83
Content-Type: text/html;
charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Glad I could be of help to you Sent from my iPhoneOn Apr 22, 2023, at 1:57 PM, Mayo Clinic Connect <nf+712e528=

@julieo4

@julieo4 This drug was in a trial local to me. I was turned down bec of Graves autoimmune.
Have you looked up the results? It was a couple years ago

@kvetch

My first experience here. My nane is carole. Always since adult hood have been HOH. About two years ago tinnitus began. Would like to hear from others. Everyone take care. Have to close. Battery almost gone🌈

Jump to this post

@kvetch. I’ve posted a lot recently about my journey with hearing loss & tinnitus.
@julieo4 has posted many helpful replies if you’re interested
@passerby

@passerby

@julieo4 This drug was in a trial local to me. I was turned down bec of Graves autoimmune.
Have you looked up the results? It was a couple years ago

Jump to this post

I don't know any more about this drug than is explained in the video posted by Dr. Cliff on YouTube. He does say that it has been FDA approved, so the trials must have been positive.

Hopefully we'll hear more about this. I wonder if the Hearing Health Foundation might be involved in the research and development. http://www.hhf.org

If/when I learn more I will post it. Perhaps someone else will know more.

@pixie49247

I’m in the 3 week of Sudden hearing loss. I had my 3 rd ear shot yesterday and if it doesn’t help they won’t do the fourth. I will then get another hearing test to see if hearing aids will work. I will have a MRI next Tuesday. The doctor said it is routine to rule out a non cancerous ear tumor that is rare but it does happen. It’s helping me not to be so scared knowing other people are going through the same thing . Any tips will help!!

Jump to this post

Hang in there. Many of us have gotten though this. It happened to me 2 years ago and hearing aid have helped a lot. It is not easy to wrap your arms around it. Best of luck that the 3rd shot helps.

@pixie49247

I’m in the 3 week of Sudden hearing loss. I had my 3 rd ear shot yesterday and if it doesn’t help they won’t do the fourth. I will then get another hearing test to see if hearing aids will work. I will have a MRI next Tuesday. The doctor said it is routine to rule out a non cancerous ear tumor that is rare but it does happen. It’s helping me not to be so scared knowing other people are going through the same thing . Any tips will help!!

Jump to this post

Good luck with your third shot and with the MRI. I had to have an MRI after my sudden hearing loss as well. It was bearable. Look into bone-conduction devices like the Osia 2 or BoneBridge devices. If you aren't a candidate for hearing aids, you might be a candidate for a bone-conduction device. I have the Osia 2 and love it. Keep your spirits up and stay focused on solutions--it helped me get through the initial shock of losing my hearing in one ear (I was already hard of hearing in the other ear).

Thanks for the advice. My 3rd shot didn’t work so no 4th. Still have another week for my MRI. I know it’s rare for acoustic neuroma and treatable.

@pixie49247

Thanks for the advice. My 3rd shot didn’t work so no 4th. Still have another week for my MRI. I know it’s rare for acoustic neuroma and treatable.

Jump to this post

Did you have tinnitus with your sudden hearing loss?

I paid too much for my present heating aids. My hearing has gotten worse and I want to know my alternatives to reasonably priced hearing aids that may even be covered

Please sign in or register to post a reply.