Hearing Loss: Come introduce yourself and connect with others

Welcome to the Hearing Loss group on Mayo Clinic Connect.
This is a welcoming, safe place where you can meet people living with hearing loss, and friends and family supporters. Whether you were born deaf or hard of hearing, experienced hearing loss after birth or with aging, it helps to connect with others. Together we can learn from each other, support one another and share stories about living with hearing loss, coping with challenges and celebrating milestones.

Let’s chat. Why not start by introducing yourself? What is your hearing loss experience? Got a question, tip or story to share?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Hearing Loss Support Group.

Hello,

This is a wonderful group. I have had hearing aids since 2014 and I am 68 years young. I have been very satisfied with Costco hearing aids.The pricing is reasonable as well as the warranty. I am wearing my second set and purchased the TV direct connect which has been a godsend to my household, as well as a dry box for those times I have jumped in the shower with them on.
The technology is always improving. The next time I will get the rechargeable batteries.

I am the first person in my family who successfully wears hearing aids. Both of my brothers need them, my brother in law and his wife, my remaining aunts need them. I have many friends who simply don’t wear them complaining about something or another.

Sure, it may be an inconvenience but it has greatly increased my quality of life. I am not opposed to an implant if I need one.

Thank you.

@linlizard69

Hi. I’m a female,69 years old. Went totally deaf in my right ear about 18 years ago now? And have mild loss of some sounds on my left. My deafness happened within hours, and was accompanied by severe vertigo and vomiting. Laid in a fetal position for days, took 3 weeks to regain my balance enough to return to work in a grade school as an LPN. I have very good hearing aides, one of course is a transmitter. I’m so glad this happened before I was on Medicare. As they don’t pay for hearing aides. ( ridiculous) I still have tinnitus in that ear, which my brain has adjusted to but that took years. My name is Linda . Looking forward to hearing your stories, it’s refreshing to know someone understands ❣️

Jump to this post

Hi linizard69. Welcome to Mayo Clinic Connet/Hearing Loss discussion group. It definitely does help to talk to people who understand. We learn from each other's experiences and find we are often in a position to offer support. Your sudden hearing loss in one ear is unusual, but not uncommon. So pleased you've been fit with a bicross hearing aid system that transmits sounds to the ear you still hear with. Also good to hear you have managed your tinnitus well. Most people with hearing loss have some degree of tinnitus. I wonder if you've ever considered or been evaluated for a cochlear implant?

@linlizard69

Hi. I’m a female,69 years old. Went totally deaf in my right ear about 18 years ago now? And have mild loss of some sounds on my left. My deafness happened within hours, and was accompanied by severe vertigo and vomiting. Laid in a fetal position for days, took 3 weeks to regain my balance enough to return to work in a grade school as an LPN. I have very good hearing aides, one of course is a transmitter. I’m so glad this happened before I was on Medicare. As they don’t pay for hearing aides. ( ridiculous) I still have tinnitus in that ear, which my brain has adjusted to but that took years. My name is Linda . Looking forward to hearing your stories, it’s refreshing to know someone understands ❣️

Jump to this post

Hi Linda, You could be telling my story. We are the same age. I too had complete sudden hearing loss in my right ear three years ago with severe long term vertigo and nausea. I was in bed for days. By the time I was able to see a doctor, and then an ENT, the window of opportunity to receive steroids was passed. I did a couple of rounds of steroids anyway, but to no avail. I was not able to wear the bicross due to a tiny ear canal and infections, so I had a bone conduction implant and received my Osia 2 processor three months ago. I also wear a hearing aid in my left ear The difference in my quality of life is astromical. My hearing will never be as good as it was prior to my hearing loss. The tinnitus alone keeps me awake, but the Cochlear Osia has been life changing, and I am so thankful to have it.

I first had hearing problems in my early 20's (now 85 - 60+yrs) after scuba diving and decompressing too quickly. I had it looked at by a MD in France (where it occured and he said not much could be done. It was not so severe that it affected me too much in social situations so did nothing about it. As I aged into my 70's it got progressively worse and I got some hearing aids in my mid 70's. Now, 10 years later, and 3 sets of aids later I am somewhat frustrated that the effectiveness or quality of the hearing

In reply to @linlizard69 "Here I am 😊" + (show)
@linlizard69

Here I am 😊

Jump to this post

Nice picture, Linda. I hope you’ll add it to your profile!

@linlizard69

Jump to this post

Hi, @linlizard69
Welcome to Connect. I have been wearing HAs since 2004 during which time my hearing has gotten progressively worse and I am now considering a cochlear implant. Despite not being new to hearing loss I too learn a lot from the discussions here.

Your hearing loss story is fairly unique I think. Did they ever figure out what caused it? I can't imagine losing all hearing in one year so abruptly.

I have been adjusting to tinnitus for about a year or so now. It's much worse when I don't have my hearing aids in but thankfully when they are in other sounds mask it.
JK

@lmayo

Hi Linda, You could be telling my story. We are the same age. I too had complete sudden hearing loss in my right ear three years ago with severe long term vertigo and nausea. I was in bed for days. By the time I was able to see a doctor, and then an ENT, the window of opportunity to receive steroids was passed. I did a couple of rounds of steroids anyway, but to no avail. I was not able to wear the bicross due to a tiny ear canal and infections, so I had a bone conduction implant and received my Osia 2 processor three months ago. I also wear a hearing aid in my left ear The difference in my quality of life is astromical. My hearing will never be as good as it was prior to my hearing loss. The tinnitus alone keeps me awake, but the Cochlear Osia has been life changing, and I am so thankful to have it.

Jump to this post

Hi, I received steroids right away, also an mRI of my head to make sure it was not a tumor. The steroids didn’t help areal, which I guessed helped diagnose ? I got a second a opinion a year later at upmc Pittsburgh, they also have no idea why I went deaf. I’m happy your implant is helping you !

I am in my early 70's and have had hearing aids for about 6 years. They are helpful in general conversations and activities. However, I have never been able to distinguish sounds (death,debt, or deaf...what was said?!?), learn new languages, and am tone deaf impacting my musical talent greatly! We watch a lot of tv movies and shows and I know subtitles aren't always available and are distracting to others. I miss a lot in movies and shows, hate to keep asking for the punchlines, and tend to just fall asleep as I'm lulled into fatigue trying. I've tried using my wireless earbuds but it cuts off the tv sound for others. Sometimes, I'll be watching and hubs opens a bag of chips and all I hear is the crinkling of the bag. Any ideas of thoughts on this. Thanks everyone!

@luvsibes

I am in my early 70's and have had hearing aids for about 6 years. They are helpful in general conversations and activities. However, I have never been able to distinguish sounds (death,debt, or deaf...what was said?!?), learn new languages, and am tone deaf impacting my musical talent greatly! We watch a lot of tv movies and shows and I know subtitles aren't always available and are distracting to others. I miss a lot in movies and shows, hate to keep asking for the punchlines, and tend to just fall asleep as I'm lulled into fatigue trying. I've tried using my wireless earbuds but it cuts off the tv sound for others. Sometimes, I'll be watching and hubs opens a bag of chips and all I hear is the crinkling of the bag. Any ideas of thoughts on this. Thanks everyone!

Jump to this post

My audiologist and Dr. Google research says that this is a neuro issue like neuropathy or a loose wire connection from the ear to brain. It is being researched but not understood nor is there a solution. I also have tinnitus but have learned to not pay attention to it or have it bother me but I'm sure it adds to the lack of clarity in language I experience.

@luvsibes

Jump to this post

I'm popping in to say "welcome @luvsibes". You ask some great questions that I'm confident members like @julieo4 @imallears @cobweb @babarker @editored @maryjax @tonyinmi and others will have some tips from experience to offer you.

While we wait for others to respond, you may also be interested in these related discussions:
- Strategies & Realities - Hearing Loss in Social Settings https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/strategies-realities-hearing-loss-in-social-settings/:
- Loss of hearing clarity: Solutions or strategies anyone? https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/loss-of-clarity/

Please sign in or register to post a reply.