Had lobectomy in 2020 still having radiating severe nerve pain.

Posted by mef @mef, Aug 11, 2023

Had upper right lobectomy in 2020. I’m still having severe radiating nerve pain. Anyone else having this?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Lung Cancer Support Group.

@allstaff

I had right upper lobe removed in 2011 and still have occasional nerve pain in that area. The have monitored me very close since and I had adenocarcinoma again in lower left lobe and had that removed Dec 2023. Some nerve pain more than with the right. So frustrated, and impatient but the good news I'm alive, no oxygen needed even with 40% loss so I'm very grateful cancer is gone and I have been given more time with my loved ones.

Jump to this post

May I ask - How large was your initial tumor, and how long after that did they find the second one?

I can't remember exact size but about Suze of a quarter that was in 2011. This one about the size of a dime that was monitored for about 3 years no growth but then thru a satellite and it was time to get it removed. I was offered radiation but 3 doctors said "get it out" since it had not gone into lymph nodes. They called it the gold standard. I have to say this time around recovery hasn't been as quick but honestly im not the most patient person.

@allstaff

I can't remember exact size but about Suze of a quarter that was in 2011. This one about the size of a dime that was monitored for about 3 years no growth but then thru a satellite and it was time to get it removed. I was offered radiation but 3 doctors said "get it out" since it had not gone into lymph nodes. They called it the gold standard. I have to say this time around recovery hasn't been as quick but honestly im not the most patient person.

Jump to this post

Ok. A quarter size would be roughly 24mm, 2.4 centimeters or 1 inch. A dime is roughly 18 mm, 1.8 cm and 0.7 inches. That’s not very big. But it could have had a sizable enlargement in a shorter time. That’s what happened to me. Only 6 to 9mm over 3 yrs, but it went from 9 to 14 in one yr. So it had to come out.

Thank you for the info. Im really happy about this support group. This time is so different that the first time so I worry that something is wrong as sometimes answers from doc or pa I have felt like I was an annoyance. This site has reassured me that I'm ok. Having surgery at 78 vs 65 is very different

@allstaff

I'm taking roboxin for muscle. I didn't have any meds given to me after 2020. This time the gave me lyrica but trying not to the it because it makes me too sleepy. Both surgeries under breast around to the back

Jump to this post

Ok my surgery was on the back under shoulder blade about 7-8 inch incision.

Wow! mine is 5-1" incision and one that is about 5 inches where the drainage tube was.

The 2011 is 4 1 " incisions.

@allstaff

Wow! mine is 5-1" incision and one that is about 5 inches where the drainage tube was.

The 2011 is 4 1 " incisions.

Jump to this post

Oh so you had the smaller incisions. Was yours robotic mine wasn’t. A 5 “ chest tube incision? Mine is a small circle puncture.

@allstaff

Thank you for the info. Im really happy about this support group. This time is so different that the first time so I worry that something is wrong as sometimes answers from doc or pa I have felt like I was an annoyance. This site has reassured me that I'm ok. Having surgery at 78 vs 65 is very different

Jump to this post

I agree this group is amazing & informative. Glad you found us. I understand your comment about the age. I was 66 when I had mine done. The pain post op was awful & I think to myself I don’t think I can go through that again. I’m coming up on 4 years since surgery. It’s people like you that gives me hope that I could if I had to. You’re so positive after having to deal with that twice. Thank you for that.

Good morning..yes my surgery was robotic. I have had the same feelings about if I would go thru this again but it's probably like childbirth you forget the pain as time goes by. This site has been wonderful and assuring and feel its helping with recovery.
Let's hope we won't ever have to go thru this again but it's nice to be able to share notes.

You had surgery in both lungs without video assistance…that’s huge what you had done and I have no doubt that you have pain, that’s a lot of incisions that are healing now. I had a lobectomy for my upper left lobe in 2020, it was video assisted and in 2022 I had a partial lobectomy for another cancer in right lower lobe, I can’t have anymore surgery due to weak lungs and health. There’s a lot of pain when healing and for sure you have lots to deal with, I hope you recover well and get back to normal soon, best wishes.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.