Gratitude Discussion Group

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Nov 24, 2018

Hi everyone! Just before Thanksgiving @michellegraffradford posted a blog called Gratitude Changes Everything. She suggested three techniques to help incorporate gratitude into our daily lives:

• Start the Day with Gratitude (before getting up think of three people you are grateful for)

• Maintain a Gratitude Journal to record times when you are grateful

• Count Blessings – not sheep! (Review the day and remember moments of gratitude)

Her blogpost was so inspiring that a lot of us decided we wanted to form a Gratitude Group to keep the attitude of gratitude going. The blogpost area is not an ideal space for a big discussion group so I am moving the discussion over here to the “Just Want to Talk” Group. Let’s use this space to share and discuss our Gratitude Journey. I’m going to suggest that we each try to take a minute from the day and post here what has made us feel thankful today. It can be as small as a stranger’s smile on the bus or as large as fulfilling a major life dream – or anywhere in between. We can also discuss how we are doing with the three techniques. Sometimes it is easier to form new habits with support from others.

Michelle's full blogpost is at the link below. You may want to review it or print it out to help get started!
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/page/living-with-mild-cognitive-impairment-mci/newsfeed/gratitude-changes-everything/

I look forward to hearing from others in the Gratitude Group and to having others join us here! Thanks to those who already shared great stories. If you haven't yet, what gratitude will you share today?!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@becsbuddy

@contentandwell I live in Boulder, about 1/2 hour northwest of Denver. I usually take the bus to Denver’s Union Station. Would love to meet you if things work out! Becky

Jump to this post

@becsbuddy we actually stayed a night in Boulder, at the Residence Inn! It was pretty good and there we could get a two bedroom. We were traveling with my sister and her husband.
We will definitely be in touch as time gets closer.
JK

@jenniferhunter

I thought everyone might appreciate this video about gratitude that I ran across today. It also helps you look at the world like an artist and see the magic in every day. Enjoy!
https://vimeo.com/44131171?fbclid=IwAR2sfbBJihYpt8Ec_R0ZJ16bOVY1dx0SX9WNTq8-Pt21foprvFk8WfFBRIc

Jump to this post

@jenniferhunter That was a really well writing piece and the thought occurred to me how sad most young people of today will be not to know the relaxing way of living we have had. Eveything is going to fast .

@jenniferhunter

I thought everyone might appreciate this video about gratitude that I ran across today. It also helps you look at the world like an artist and see the magic in every day. Enjoy!
https://vimeo.com/44131171?fbclid=IwAR2sfbBJihYpt8Ec_R0ZJ16bOVY1dx0SX9WNTq8-Pt21foprvFk8WfFBRIc

Jump to this post

@jenniferhunter beautiful video, but unfortunately the words were impossible for me to understand. I wish it had closed caption.
JK

@lioness

@jenniferhunter That was a really well writing piece and the thought occurred to me how sad most young people of today will be not to know the relaxing way of living we have had. Eveything is going to fast .

Jump to this post

Beautiful video. Thanks for posting.

@michellegraffradford

Beautiful video. Thanks for posting.

Jump to this post

Beautiful video! Thanks for sharing!

@lioness

Jump to this post

Lioness, How true! Unfortunately some of us were gulity of that in our younger day! But maybe not to the extent our world is today! I can remember craming everything I could into a business trip for three days and eight airplanes! I can remember going on a skiing vacation and see how many runs I could get in a day. Then partying until late in the night!
But as I mentioned it was not the same as today! When you were at home or runing errands you werem't in constant contact with everyone! You could relax! Read a book, walk along a river or through a meadow without being bothered.
My daughter still rags on me that when I am out of the house I don't have my cell phone on! When cell phones first came out I would always say the only people that needed them were doctors in case of an emergency.
Funny I still believe that!
Have a Wonderful and relaxing week!
Sundance(RB)

Today I am grateful. It is now 33 degrees outside, from an overnight low of 32. But more importantly, last Saturday our heating/cooling unit was replaced, so I am warm. Prior to that our house was without heat for close to three weeks; lots of hot tea, bundling up, and a little space heater were orders of the day. Funny, I set the temp overnight to 59 and am comfortable. During the days since, I inch the thermostat up, one degree at a time, to 67 in the house, and am fine, then down again at night! How wonderful to take little things as big deals. We expect heavy rains and rain mixed with snow the next few days.
Ginger

@gingerw Hallelujah!!!! You do have heat now. How wonderful.

@gingerw

Today I am grateful. It is now 33 degrees outside, from an overnight low of 32. But more importantly, last Saturday our heating/cooling unit was replaced, so I am warm. Prior to that our house was without heat for close to three weeks; lots of hot tea, bundling up, and a little space heater were orders of the day. Funny, I set the temp overnight to 59 and am comfortable. During the days since, I inch the thermostat up, one degree at a time, to 67 in the house, and am fine, then down again at night! How wonderful to take little things as big deals. We expect heavy rains and rain mixed with snow the next few days.
Ginger

Jump to this post

@gingerw I am so glad your heat is back. I don't know how you managed for that long. I get pretty cranky if we lose it for more than a day in a snowstorm. Frequent drives to DD for coffee and simply to be in the warm car sustain me.
When we lose heat we lose our water too because we have a well, so no water, no flushing, etc. Is where you are rural enough to not have town water?
JK

@contentandwell

@gingerw I am so glad your heat is back. I don't know how you managed for that long. I get pretty cranky if we lose it for more than a day in a snowstorm. Frequent drives to DD for coffee and simply to be in the warm car sustain me.
When we lose heat we lose our water too because we have a well, so no water, no flushing, etc. Is where you are rural enough to not have town water?
JK

Jump to this post

@contentandwell We do have city water in this little town. And city sewer. The next street over has rights for water from the creek that is about 120 yards away from us. It actually wasn't too bad for me. Brought back memories of my horse training days in the winter time. Bundle up and looked like the Michelin Man (r) LOL
Ginger

Please sign in or register to post a reply.