Gratitude Discussion Group

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Nov 24, 2018

Hi everyone! Just before Thanksgiving @michellegraffradford posted a blog called Gratitude Changes Everything. She suggested three techniques to help incorporate gratitude into our daily lives:

• Start the Day with Gratitude (before getting up think of three people you are grateful for)

• Maintain a Gratitude Journal to record times when you are grateful

• Count Blessings – not sheep! (Review the day and remember moments of gratitude)

Her blogpost was so inspiring that a lot of us decided we wanted to form a Gratitude Group to keep the attitude of gratitude going. The blogpost area is not an ideal space for a big discussion group so I am moving the discussion over here to the “Just Want to Talk” Group. Let’s use this space to share and discuss our Gratitude Journey. I’m going to suggest that we each try to take a minute from the day and post here what has made us feel thankful today. It can be as small as a stranger’s smile on the bus or as large as fulfilling a major life dream – or anywhere in between. We can also discuss how we are doing with the three techniques. Sometimes it is easier to form new habits with support from others.

Michelle's full blogpost is at the link below. You may want to review it or print it out to help get started!
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/page/living-with-mild-cognitive-impairment-mci/newsfeed/gratitude-changes-everything/

I look forward to hearing from others in the Gratitude Group and to having others join us here! Thanks to those who already shared great stories. If you haven't yet, what gratitude will you share today?!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

I'm not grateful for this but they upheld my license suspension. I guess it's time to go to court, which I will have to pay for. Curious what that will cost, plenty I'm sure.
Jake

@jakedduck1

I'm not grateful for this but they upheld my license suspension. I guess it's time to go to court, which I will have to pay for. Curious what that will cost, plenty I'm sure.
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 Sorry. Leonard. If you can drive without it endangering yourself or anyone else, I hope you win. I understand where you are coming from because many people with HE have their licenses suspended. I was always fearful of that but it never did happen. I think some states make doctors automatically report it whereas others must let the doctor use their own discretion. I always had a forewarning before an HE episode, or woke up with it. Either way, I would never have been driving with one. Most of the time I was perfectly cognizant.
JK

@jakedduck1

Jake

Jump to this post

@jakeduck1
Sorry to hear this Leonard as this will have such an impact on your lifestyle. I hope you are successful in court.

FL Mary

@jakedduck1

Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 I was going to ask how you’re doing, but your posting says it all. Bad luck.
Becky

@becsbuddy

@jakedduck1 I was going to ask how you’re doing, but your posting says it all. Bad luck.
Becky

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 I'm just getting on here and saw where you still didn't get you license back sorry to hear this good luck in court

Grateful for a couple of warmer, sunny days. As always, grateful for my habitat, food to eat and the time to turn newspapers into whimsical items and not bothering to read the words. A twist on how to turn the news into something positive. Yes, I am chuckling.

@parus

Grateful for a couple of warmer, sunny days. As always, grateful for my habitat, food to eat and the time to turn newspapers into whimsical items and not bothering to read the words. A twist on how to turn the news into something positive. Yes, I am chuckling.

Jump to this post

@parus I love your way of turning the news into something positive! Maybe you could send a picture. Please? Need a laugh or something today—we have 16” of snow and it’s still coming down!

@Becky, Volunteer Mentor, we here in North Alabama rarely get snow. If it does snow, it rarely sticks. We feel lucky if there is enough to make snowballs or a tiny snowman. So we'll take that snow and give y'all some fairly warm, sunny days in exchange.

The weather here has been beautiful lately. A little bit of rain, gray skies. But that just gives us a chance to stay indoors and read that book we have been ignoring for six months.

I am thankful for family, friends, faith, hope, and love. For all the wonderful people here. For life itself.

I want to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving.

Mamacita Jane

@becsbuddy

@parus I love your way of turning the news into something positive! Maybe you could send a picture. Please? Need a laugh or something today—we have 16” of snow and it’s still coming down!

Jump to this post

@becsbuddy Will try to do so in the not too distant future. It is a process that requires patience-for the creations to dry so I can paint them!!! Breathing life into things with a paintbrush. Hard to get into the Holidays with all of the trips to medical appointments. It is wearing me out!!!

@parus , @gingerw, @merpreb, and all of you! My eyes are a tad foggy and carpal tunnel makes me want to stop messaging right away. But I have good news. My optic nerves are just fine. What I do have is cataracts. My surgery is scheduled for 12/28. My eyes were so dry when they tested me, I have to complete a regimen of eye drops before I can be retested. They do measurements which must be precise, in preparation for surgery.

I never thought I would be grateful for cataracts. But there are so many things that can go wrong with the optic nerves. Needless to say, I have really tightened up on my gluten free, low carb way of eating. I don't want to take anymore chances with the gift of sight. I got along with the doctor just fine. I had met a precious lady who had been dismissed by this particular opthamologist. I was a bit anxious after hearing her story.

But I just decided to go into the appointment with an open mind. I treated him like I always do when meeting a new physician. Respect and honoring their time goes a long way.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. Enjoy whatever treats you make or someone else makes for you. Who else watches the Thanksgiving Day Parade?

Love and light,
Mamacita Jane

Please sign in or register to post a reply.