Gratitude Discussion Group

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Nov 24, 2018

Hi everyone! Just before Thanksgiving @michellegraffradford posted a blog called Gratitude Changes Everything. She suggested three techniques to help incorporate gratitude into our daily lives:

• Start the Day with Gratitude (before getting up think of three people you are grateful for)

• Maintain a Gratitude Journal to record times when you are grateful

• Count Blessings – not sheep! (Review the day and remember moments of gratitude)

Her blogpost was so inspiring that a lot of us decided we wanted to form a Gratitude Group to keep the attitude of gratitude going. The blogpost area is not an ideal space for a big discussion group so I am moving the discussion over here to the “Just Want to Talk” Group. Let’s use this space to share and discuss our Gratitude Journey. I’m going to suggest that we each try to take a minute from the day and post here what has made us feel thankful today. It can be as small as a stranger’s smile on the bus or as large as fulfilling a major life dream – or anywhere in between. We can also discuss how we are doing with the three techniques. Sometimes it is easier to form new habits with support from others.

Michelle's full blogpost is at the link below. You may want to review it or print it out to help get started!
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/page/living-with-mild-cognitive-impairment-mci/newsfeed/gratitude-changes-everything/

I look forward to hearing from others in the Gratitude Group and to having others join us here! Thanks to those who already shared great stories. If you haven't yet, what gratitude will you share today?!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@imallears

@becsbuddy
Here’s a prayer that the results will be good. And good for you for only one cookie. Well have to scan Leonard’s brain to see if the sweet reward area is taking over the entire brain!

FL Mary

Jump to this post

@imallears
Yes, the sweet reward area has taken over my entire brain! See, good things do happen.
I have tons of candy left over from last night too, something else good.
Think I'll have some Pumpkin pie now, better forgo the whipped cream.
@becsbuddy
Haven't heard back from you, did you really only have one cookie? I find that hard to swallow.
Jake

@mamacita

Today, I am grateful for all of my Mayo Clinic Connect peeps. I get so busy with things I drag my feet at connecting with everyone as I should. Untreated ADHD or old age? In any event, it's good to see you all on here and hear about what's happening in your lives.

I'm Diabetic. So yesterday I delivered our stash of candy to the kiddos at the medically fragile classroom. It was well received and the kiddos were so beautiful. Today I am making a Mississipi Pot Roast in the crock pot. Our church group is having a pot luck, and I want to bring something low carb that I can actually eat. I await seeing the opthamologist to see about changes in my optic nerve. ( 11th of this month)

I need to pick up test strips at SmallMart, as I am completely out. Having this scare with the optic nerve, I am staying really strict about my food intake, as well as keeping my blood sugars low.

I need to go by the store and pick up a heavy sweater for my daughter, who recently was discharged from the hospital. I am so grateful her IV Antibiotic treatment for her cellulitis was a success.
I will be praying for our members here who have procedures and tests lined up. I am thankful for you all.

I am so thankful that we are not alone

Have a great weekend. Love and light,

Mamacita Jane

Jump to this post

@mamacita I hope you have a great weekend too. Also, I’m with @gingerw, recipe for the pot roast? Sounds like a great fall and winter dinner and low carb too!

We live in a nice town just outside of Manchester. Last night rain was predicted so Manchester changed their trick and treat night to Sunday, so the Manchester kids were getting brought into our neighborhood by car loads! We had to cut down on how many treats we were giving and even then almost ran out. I thought I would have loads of leftovers because I always buy too much to avoid running out but we had three small snack bars left! On the good side, the kids really seem more polite than they used to be. All said thank you, and there were no discarded wrappers on our lawn.
JK

@jakedduck1

@imallears
I know I replied to this but maybe I didnt click reply???
The nearest fire is in the Sonoma Valley Wine Country 145 miles northwest of me.
These fires are horrible, in 2018 the worst fire in Calif history burned 18,804 structures and 85 people died.Imagine losing your home, job and town which happened when the town of Paradise was destroyed.
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1
Hi,
I heard about Paradise. They constantly cover the fires on TV here in Florida.. Glad you’re not near any.
I think you forgot to click “reply”....probably clicked a candy bar instead 😚

FL Mary

@jakedduck1

@imallears
Yes, the sweet reward area has taken over my entire brain! See, good things do happen.
I have tons of candy left over from last night too, something else good.
Think I'll have some Pumpkin pie now, better forgo the whipped cream.
@becsbuddy
Haven't heard back from you, did you really only have one cookie? I find that hard to swallow.
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1

Hello you ole sweet brain you.
I made paleo pumpkin bread last week (using almond and tapioca flour instead of white flour). I like pumpkin cookies but pumpkin pie is something I never liked even with real whipped cream on it. Used to make apple pie with crushed pineapple on the bottom.....added some rum and golden raisins.
Haven’t done that in 30 years but it was spectacular.
Snuck next door and ate one Resses Pieces after Halloween....yes just one.
I’m grateful for my self control.

F L Mary

@becsbuddy

Today I am so grateful that I got thru my brain MRI so easily! I even got to wear my own clothes! Sweatshirt and sweatpants. Closed my eyes immediately and didn’t open them again until it was done! Took about 30+ minutes. Rewarded myself with a chocolate chip cookie! Hope the results are good

Jump to this post

Just got my results (via the portal) and all is good! Thanks for all the good thoughts sent my way. 🤗

@becsbuddy

Just got my results (via the portal) and all is good! Thanks for all the good thoughts sent my way. 🤗

Jump to this post

@becsbuddy that’s wonderful, one worry off your mind. Phew.
JK

@becsbuddy

Jump to this post

Becky, I know that this leaves you with more questions than answers. Hopefully this is good news for you. Any idea what's next?

@becsbuddy

Jump to this post

@becsbuddy Hooray, glad things went well for you,

Every time I see a post in the GRATITUDE discussion I get mixed emotions because “ gratitude “ has so many possibilities!....198 pages here alone. I thought about reading everyone to hear what gets stored up when we think about gratitude. I’m going to give it a try because I’m seriously curious to read what inspires people enough that it equates to gratitude. Is there one or a few stories that touched you in a special way?
I’m going to start reading now

@jenniferhunter

I love the Christmas card. That was so thoughtful of your friend. I am and artist and I have a horse too. It's a nice picture. Thanks for sharing it. I'm thinking my horse might look cute in a Santa hat.... (he'll do anything for a carrot)

Jump to this post

I have an artist friend who loves carrots too but she takes them off when she paints. I hear it prevents ring around the collards.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.