Gratitude Discussion Group

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Nov 24, 2018

Hi everyone! Just before Thanksgiving @michellegraffradford posted a blog called Gratitude Changes Everything. She suggested three techniques to help incorporate gratitude into our daily lives:

• Start the Day with Gratitude (before getting up think of three people you are grateful for)

• Maintain a Gratitude Journal to record times when you are grateful

• Count Blessings – not sheep! (Review the day and remember moments of gratitude)

Her blogpost was so inspiring that a lot of us decided we wanted to form a Gratitude Group to keep the attitude of gratitude going. The blogpost area is not an ideal space for a big discussion group so I am moving the discussion over here to the “Just Want to Talk” Group. Let’s use this space to share and discuss our Gratitude Journey. I’m going to suggest that we each try to take a minute from the day and post here what has made us feel thankful today. It can be as small as a stranger’s smile on the bus or as large as fulfilling a major life dream – or anywhere in between. We can also discuss how we are doing with the three techniques. Sometimes it is easier to form new habits with support from others.

Michelle's full blogpost is at the link below. You may want to review it or print it out to help get started!
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/page/living-with-mild-cognitive-impairment-mci/newsfeed/gratitude-changes-everything/

I look forward to hearing from others in the Gratitude Group and to having others join us here! Thanks to those who already shared great stories. If you haven't yet, what gratitude will you share today?!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@jakedduck1

Yucky!!! High predicted here is 92. The nice thing is it will feel like 92, not that 92 is nice but at least it won’t feel hotter due to humidity. Our humidity is 20%. Does the humidity keep your skin more moist and cut down on those greasy creams & lotions. My doctor says I have dry skin. I said “So.” She and my dermatologist want me to put a high quality (Which means expensive) cream on twice a day. Chances that will happen rank right up there with me cooking a Thanksgiving dinner in July. Not that it would happen in November either. I’m dreading nuking my mom a hot dog for lunch. I have a cook coming Monday so it’s not like she abused everyday. She doesn’t like cooking either. If I was 89 I’d like it even less, if possible.
Thanks for the weather report. We should have a weather thread. Might not be that many interested though.
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 there are some very high quality creams in drugstores that are reasonably priced, like eucerin, cetaphil, and I can’t think of the other brands right now.
JK

@contentandwell

@jakedduck1 there are some very high quality creams in drugstores that are reasonably priced, like eucerin, cetaphil, and I can’t think of the other brands right now.
JK

Jump to this post

@contentandwell
Thanks JK but I don’t want to smear that greasy slimy stuff all over. I use gloves when I use it on my mom. As long as my so called dry skin doesn’t bother me I won’t bother it.
The dermatologist wants me to use sunscreen too. I’ll wear a hat and long sleeves, problem solved.
Jake

@contentandwell

@jodeej I’m confused, do you live in Omaha? I thought you live in Iowa. My daughter goes to Omaha almost every month for work.
Regardless, I’m glad I’m not there, pretty warm.
JK

Jump to this post

I am in Iowa, only about 20-25 miles from Omaha.

@jakedduck1

@contentandwell
Thanks JK but I don’t want to smear that greasy slimy stuff all over. I use gloves when I use it on my mom. As long as my so called dry skin doesn’t bother me I won’t bother it.
The dermatologist wants me to use sunscreen too. I’ll wear a hat and long sleeves, problem solved.
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 you sound just like my husband.
JK

@contentandwell

@jakedduck1 you sound just like my husband.
JK

Jump to this post

@contentandwell
He sounds like a smart guy!!!
Jake

@lioness

@jodeej It is 3frienfs have moved I'm getting paranoid about getting so close to anyone again.But I have 2places I can vacation at. I'm going up to Clovis in Sept for 2 weeks .

Jump to this post

@lioness
Gonna be hot in Clovis.
Jake

@jakedduck1

@lioness
Gonna be hot in Clovis.
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 yes I know but she runs a.c alot there bill is over 100.00

@lioness

@jodeej It is 3frienfs have moved I'm getting paranoid about getting so close to anyone again.But I have 2places I can vacation at. I'm going up to Clovis in Sept for 2 weeks .

Jump to this post

There is a silver lining to everything!

@jodeej

There is a silver lining to everything!

Jump to this post

@jodeej
Yep, my silver lining will show up at 11:00 to cook. Reprieve at last.
Jake

@jakedduck1 take omega 3, it will help your dry skin among many other benefits!

Please sign in or register to post a reply.