Gratitude Discussion Group

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Nov 24, 2018

Hi everyone! Just before Thanksgiving @michellegraffradford posted a blog called Gratitude Changes Everything. She suggested three techniques to help incorporate gratitude into our daily lives:

• Start the Day with Gratitude (before getting up think of three people you are grateful for)

• Maintain a Gratitude Journal to record times when you are grateful

• Count Blessings – not sheep! (Review the day and remember moments of gratitude)

Her blogpost was so inspiring that a lot of us decided we wanted to form a Gratitude Group to keep the attitude of gratitude going. The blogpost area is not an ideal space for a big discussion group so I am moving the discussion over here to the “Just Want to Talk” Group. Let’s use this space to share and discuss our Gratitude Journey. I’m going to suggest that we each try to take a minute from the day and post here what has made us feel thankful today. It can be as small as a stranger’s smile on the bus or as large as fulfilling a major life dream – or anywhere in between. We can also discuss how we are doing with the three techniques. Sometimes it is easier to form new habits with support from others.

Michelle's full blogpost is at the link below. You may want to review it or print it out to help get started!
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/page/living-with-mild-cognitive-impairment-mci/newsfeed/gratitude-changes-everything/

I look forward to hearing from others in the Gratitude Group and to having others join us here! Thanks to those who already shared great stories. If you haven't yet, what gratitude will you share today?!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@lioness

@merpreb @parus posted about dumbbells in my ears when I posted about ear exercise My phone is charging so On Kindle which likes to spell for me

Jump to this post

@lioness I rather thought this was the situation as it has happened to you as well as others. Auto spell can produce some interesting results. I have pretty much learned how to read what is meant rather than the words. Not making fun of you at all. I find it entertaining even though you may find it frustrating.

@karen00 You are sounding some better. A hospital stay can be exhausting even without all of the physical stuff. Throw in the depression and anxiety and no wonder you are exhausted. Give yourself some time and keep trying!!! Yes, I am still cheering you on!!!!

@becsbuddy Anytime there are eye issues it is difficult. How goes it today?

@parus

@lioness I rather thought this was the situation as it has happened to you as well as others. Auto spell can produce some interesting results. I have pretty much learned how to read what is meant rather than the words. Not making fun of you at all. I find it entertaining even though you may find it frustrating.

Jump to this post

@parus It is frustrating but keeps everyone on there toes lol

@parus

@becsbuddy Anytime there are eye issues it is difficult. How goes it today?

Jump to this post

Things are good today! I’m able to read and go from one line to the next—had a spell where I would read the same line multiple times! Learned to hold a ruler under the line to help me move along. See my ophthalmologist in 2 weeks. Thank you for asking! Vision is so precious
Becky

Today I am grateful to have had an opportunity to share at my TOPS meeting. Missed last week due to being sick. I let the group know that April is National Donor Month, which is very near and dear to my heart as most of you know. It was a great conversation; basically these are all strangers to me, so I don't know their personal situations nor their belief systems. Afterwards, several approached me thanking me for bringing up the gift of organ donation. Besides all of that, I am feeling a bit better but still not much of a voice. I got to sleep in a bed for the first time last night in 10 days due to nasal drainage.
Ginger

@gingerw Glad your feeling better I know it's a personal decision but I think donating your organs is giving someone else life so why not you won't miss them

@lioness

@gingerw Glad your feeling better I know it's a personal decision but I think donating your organs is giving someone else life so why not you won't miss them

Jump to this post

@lioness I didn't know the faith and spiritual makeup of group of people there. I apologized in advance if what I was saying was offensive to anyone. But I also felt it was important important to talk about the gift of life. I've seen it in person! If we have no need for something should we offer it to someone who can use it?
Ginger

@gingerw

@lioness I didn't know the faith and spiritual makeup of group of people there. I apologized in advance if what I was saying was offensive to anyone. But I also felt it was important important to talk about the gift of life. I've seen it in person! If we have no need for something should we offer it to someone who can use it?
Ginger

Jump to this post

@gingerw I totally agree

@gingerw

Ginger

Jump to this post

As a nurse in the hospital, families were thrilled to hear about the possibility of eye(cornea) donation. To think that people would get their vision back even after years of not seeing! Subject fits in well with the earlier discussion about vision being so important to your day. Becky

Please sign in or register to post a reply.