Gratitude Discussion Group

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Nov 24, 2018

Hi everyone! Just before Thanksgiving @michellegraffradford posted a blog called Gratitude Changes Everything. She suggested three techniques to help incorporate gratitude into our daily lives:

• Start the Day with Gratitude (before getting up think of three people you are grateful for)

• Maintain a Gratitude Journal to record times when you are grateful

• Count Blessings – not sheep! (Review the day and remember moments of gratitude)

Her blogpost was so inspiring that a lot of us decided we wanted to form a Gratitude Group to keep the attitude of gratitude going. The blogpost area is not an ideal space for a big discussion group so I am moving the discussion over here to the “Just Want to Talk” Group. Let’s use this space to share and discuss our Gratitude Journey. I’m going to suggest that we each try to take a minute from the day and post here what has made us feel thankful today. It can be as small as a stranger’s smile on the bus or as large as fulfilling a major life dream – or anywhere in between. We can also discuss how we are doing with the three techniques. Sometimes it is easier to form new habits with support from others.

Michelle's full blogpost is at the link below. You may want to review it or print it out to help get started!
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/page/living-with-mild-cognitive-impairment-mci/newsfeed/gratitude-changes-everything/

I look forward to hearing from others in the Gratitude Group and to having others join us here! Thanks to those who already shared great stories. If you haven't yet, what gratitude will you share today?!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@debbraw

Today I read something that really resonated with me. It said we should find gratitude in our challenges. That really made me think long and hard about how I've been looking a gratitude. I had been thinking more like "what makes me happy today" vs. "what is contributing to my progress and well-being." Anyway, with that in mind, today I am grateful for physical therapy. To say its a challenge is an understatement. It hurts, I have to force myself to do it every single day, and when it's over I'm sore and grumpy until I sit with ice on my knee for 20 minutes. But I'm grateful for the fact that PT has resulted in me getting full extension of my left knee and 128 degrees of flexion - which is just about where I was BEFORE the surgery. I'm grateful for the progress and I'm grateful for the discipline and structure PT brings to may days of recuperation. And I'm especially grateful for the kind and caring attention I had from my in-home physical therapist and now my outpatient therapist. It takes a special kind of person!

One more thing: @pearlbaby7 - I was so touched by your beautiful account of your neighbor's kindness. That was one of those posts that just made my day. Your neighbor sounds like a beautiful person and it's clear she values you. I LOVE your Morse code jewelry idea. I bet she was thrilled to death with that gift. Did you have health issues that kept you from eating or was it more of a logistical problem? Sounds like a happy resolution anyway...

Jump to this post

@debbraw- I hear you! I have had many PT sessions and after the pain subsides I am so grateful that it works! To be grateful for our challenges is extremely difficult to do but to me, I learn so much about myself, things I never could imagine! Maya Angelou once said, "I wouldn't take nothing for my journey."

@parus

Still working on not allowing the past to cast dark wing clouds on the present. So much I want to accomplish and so many creative ideas. My mind is zooming and not in a healthy place. Self chastisement for not being as strong as I would like to be. Telling self to calm down. I can see my shadow climbing the walls and ceiling.
@merpreb Thankful to have met others who can meet on common ground. The

Jump to this post

@parus- My husband always says that I am too harsh on myself. It's true! So how do we stop being so harsh on ourselves. You first! 🙂

PT gives me some relief for a few hours. I know it won’t last. My spine is a mess. There is no retraining those muscles as the spine continues to curve and the arthritis is gnawing away at the cervical vertebrae. Not completely discouraged. I am grateful for the respite. Since an MRI is a no-no because of the leads in my neck from that VNS-stuff happens. Still grateful as this attitude does not carry the weight of negativity.

@merpreb

@parus- My husband always says that I am too harsh on myself. It's true! So how do we stop being so harsh on ourselves. You first! 🙂

Jump to this post

@merpreb Hahaha. 6 month wellness visit with primary today. No idea which NP, MD, PA or whatever I will see. So stressful. Potlucks in medical health stresses me. Their laptop infuriates me. Their guide to keeping me healthy and watching the minutes tick by. When I see their hand reach toward the laptop lid I know time is up. The future now present. Argh. Dreading it. Need to work on my attitude. Mouse in a maze in search of morsel of cheese. Time to go soak my head. I am worth something.

@parus- What are the positive things about your wellness checkups? I hear you about the laptop.

@merpreb

@parus- What are the positive things about your wellness checkups? I hear you about the laptop.

Jump to this post

@merpreb Head soaked-literally. My bloodwork is always fine other than thyroid stuff. Will mention my feet are always cold and toes turn bluish when on my feet any length of time. Top tips are very tender so that even a sheet touching hurts. Something new at least. The positive thing is I won’t be required to be seen for another 6 months. It is all clinic style. I am adapting even though I may do so kicking and screaming within. I eat anymore fish I will need to live in an aquarium as I will have gills. 🤪

@becsbuddy

@pearlbaby7 WOW! You have hit the neighbor jackpot! She must be an incredibly kind person and you must be very special to have inspired such kindness.

Jump to this post

I have hit the neighbor jackpot. She takes her religion seriously. That's why I made one of the bracelets say 'I live my faith'.

@merpreb

Jump to this post

One thing I used to do when I was working and probably need more now, is to save thank you notes, print out those emails of appreciation or acknowledgement of accomplishments and put them in a book or large envelope or box. When you feel that you're not accomplishing enough, or really dark days like I sometimes have when I question my current or future value, take that box out and remind yourself that you are of value and accomplish goals. Even small ones add up.
I'm also a list maker. It focuses me and when I mark something off I can see an accomplishment.

@parus

@merpreb Head soaked-literally. My bloodwork is always fine other than thyroid stuff. Will mention my feet are always cold and toes turn bluish when on my feet any length of time. Top tips are very tender so that even a sheet touching hurts. Something new at least. The positive thing is I won’t be required to be seen for another 6 months. It is all clinic style. I am adapting even though I may do so kicking and screaming within. I eat anymore fish I will need to live in an aquarium as I will have gills. 🤪

Jump to this post

I like that you have a sense of humor even in your frustration.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.