Gratitude Discussion Group

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Nov 24, 2018

Hi everyone! Just before Thanksgiving @michellegraffradford posted a blog called Gratitude Changes Everything. She suggested three techniques to help incorporate gratitude into our daily lives:

• Start the Day with Gratitude (before getting up think of three people you are grateful for)

• Maintain a Gratitude Journal to record times when you are grateful

• Count Blessings – not sheep! (Review the day and remember moments of gratitude)

Her blogpost was so inspiring that a lot of us decided we wanted to form a Gratitude Group to keep the attitude of gratitude going. The blogpost area is not an ideal space for a big discussion group so I am moving the discussion over here to the “Just Want to Talk” Group. Let’s use this space to share and discuss our Gratitude Journey. I’m going to suggest that we each try to take a minute from the day and post here what has made us feel thankful today. It can be as small as a stranger’s smile on the bus or as large as fulfilling a major life dream – or anywhere in between. We can also discuss how we are doing with the three techniques. Sometimes it is easier to form new habits with support from others.

Michelle's full blogpost is at the link below. You may want to review it or print it out to help get started!
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/page/living-with-mild-cognitive-impairment-mci/newsfeed/gratitude-changes-everything/

I look forward to hearing from others in the Gratitude Group and to having others join us here! Thanks to those who already shared great stories. If you haven't yet, what gratitude will you share today?!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@jakedduck1

@parus
I have a package of lentils on the counter. Probably be there for a month or until someone take pitty on me.
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 Poor ducky haha Put them in a pot cover with water let stay over night cook up next day or is that a dirty word for you lol

@lioness

@jakedduck1 Poor ducky haha Put them in a pot cover with water let stay over night cook up next day or is that a dirty word for you lol

Jump to this post

@lioness
Yes, it is definitely a dirty word. I dont use that kind of language!!!
I braved the brutal 70 degree elements today and mustered up the courage to go to the grocery store.

@karen00

Hey Paris, can I get in on this? I read about you guys’ weather and am glad I am where I am - North Carolina. It was in the low 20’s this morning on my way to the doctor- but no snow! We rarely get it-maybe once a year. I’d like a little bit more!

Jump to this post

@ 1 degree here this AM @parus and @karen00. Just a dusting of snow, probably because of the ferocious winds. But didn't lose any power! How is it for you this AM?

Today I am grateful that my volunteer position is inside! Well I don't mind being outside if being paid to be outside. It's not my cup of tea otherwise especially in the rain. Here in the Inland Empire of California they expect rain a little bit later this morning. That will be fine since my shift today starts at 6:30. This morning. Good thing I'm in early riser!
Ginger

@jakedduck1

@lioness
Yes, it is definitely a dirty word. I dont use that kind of language!!!
I braved the brutal 70 degree elements today and mustered up the courage to go to the grocery store.

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 Good morning, Jake!
Thanks for another smile 😊 You remind me of another friend who said that before she would try a recipe she would count all of the adverbs, for example "stir slowly, stir constantly," etc. If there were too many adverbs she wouldn't even try it.

@hopeful33250

@jakedduck1 Good morning, Jake!
Thanks for another smile 😊 You remind me of another friend who said that before she would try a recipe she would count all of the adverbs, for example "stir slowly, stir constantly," etc. If there were too many adverbs she wouldn't even try it.

Jump to this post

lol Teresa

@merpreb

@parus, jakedduck1, JK, Debra, @lioness and anyone else I missed. Good morning. Temps are dropping fast in southern RI so we are all preparing for subzero weather and high winds. My next CT scan is a week from tomorrow so I've been very thankful that there are CT scans available and very nervous of what might show up. My coffee tastes exceptionally special this morning too. I bought a Verilux "happy light" and it has really really helped my depression so much!

Jump to this post

@merpreb
I'm glad to hear that the Verilux "happy light" is working so well for you😊 If Michigan has many more gray days, I might invest in one as well. How long do you use it? Do you leave it on all day for a certain period of time?

@hopeful33250- Good morning Teresa- I am still using it on the least brightest light for 30 minutes. I've tried it on the highest and believe it or not I think that it was too much. I'm not depressed at all. I'm still taking Zoloft and Wellbutrin but now it seems as if I can distinguish my moods more and they are not all depression. Some are angry or sad, etc...I recommend it highly! RI has been getting a lot of gray days, even outside of storms!

@merpreb

@hopeful33250- Good morning Teresa- I am still using it on the least brightest light for 30 minutes. I've tried it on the highest and believe it or not I think that it was too much. I'm not depressed at all. I'm still taking Zoloft and Wellbutrin but now it seems as if I can distinguish my moods more and they are not all depression. Some are angry or sad, etc...I recommend it highly! RI has been getting a lot of gray days, even outside of storms!

Jump to this post

Thank you for that great information, @merpreb. It sounds like it has some variables including the intensity of the light that you can use. Sounds very good😊

@merpreb

Jump to this post

@merpreb I have started to realize that all of my symptoms are NOT ALL depression. Could be a topic for discussion. Something to ponder. Thank you for brining this up as some symptoms are not depression but they are uncomfortable. I don’t like some feelings I have and feel powerless over them. Very ugly feelings and memories that persist. They scare me at times and not because

Please sign in or register to post a reply.