Frustrated over doctors & ER’s in my rural area

Posted by liv38556 @liv38556, Feb 13, 2021

Dealing with a growth on my thigh that seemed to start as a dog bite over 10 years ago. Had a biopsy done on one part of it. Almost went for surgery to have it removed but there were too many red flags to do with the hsp & the plastic surgeon although he did the biopsy and it turned out ok .Heading to a larger city next to have it dx’d better with a specific doctor there although I was already there at their ER for 10 hrs one day and they didn’t refer me to that dept. Just feeling pretty depressed over the whole thing and frightened. Not knowing which way to turn. We live in a rural area and are in our 60’s & 70’s.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Depression & Anxiety group.

I can feel your frustration and fear. I, too, feel the same way. I have been diagnosed with a rare spinal cord disease, adhesive arachnoiditis. I have been unable to find a doctor here in Pennsylvania to treat me. The Cleveland Clinic is an option, but since they do not accept PA Medicaid, I really cannot pursue that option because I cannot afford to pay for what Medicare does not cover. I also do not know if I would be able to make the 2+ hour trip there. In the meantime, I find myself in terrible pain that my current medication does not alleviate. My best recommendation is to advise you to pray about your situation and trust in God's intervention in your life. He/She can provide direction and open doors for you. You do not say where you are located, but there is the Mayo Clinic to consider as well as the Cleveland Clinic and Johns Hopkins. All are world-renowned medical facilities. If you do not feel right about the medical care you are receiving, go somewhere else. I, too, was the victim of a dog bite (pit bull) that has thus far necessitated five surgeries, three on the palm of my right hand, which still is not normal. Take solace in the fact that the growth is not malignant. Your body always seeks to repair itself, and the growth might be nothing more than that. Find a good plastic surgeon, one who has trauma experience, e.g. was a military physician, and trust in him/her. When you are at peace about your surgeon, have the growth removed. Trust in God to give you a good result and pray for your doctor. Try not to be so anxious. You will be all right, and I am praying for you. God bless you!


Hi @liv38556, it can be a challenge to find care you can trust, especially when local options are limited. Like Lulu, suggests you might consider a second opinion at a large academic medical center. Should you wish to consider Mayo Clinic, the contact information for Minnesota, Arizona and Florida can be found here

Liv, Did you get the results of the biopsy? You also mention that this is making you feel depressed and frightened. Do you struggle with depression? Would taking action and calling Mayo Clinic or another medical center help alleviate the helplessness?

@lulu4982, you mention that you have adhesive arachnoiditis. You might be interested in joining the discussions in Spine Health group (, specifically this one:
– Arachnoiditis: Looking to talk with others

Please sign in or register to post a reply.