Fibromyalgia pain: Let's connect

Posted by clownscrytoo @clownscrytoo, Oct 22, 2016

Is there anyone here that suffers from fibro? I had the 'tender spot test' several years ago and I had 17 out of the 18. I try my hardest to get through the pain with my 4 hydrocodone/acetaminaphine pills a day, Tiger Balm rubbed into areas that are the worst, light exercises, and distracting myself with hobbies or chores, etc; but there are many occasions where none of that helps and I spend most of the day holding down the couch, getting up about 30-45 minutes after that, walking/standing around the house for 15-20 minutes, or sitting for about 15-30 min. I do not drive and my husband works 6 days a week, overtime almost every day, so I'm alone a lot. my wonderful husband is very supportive and I am very grateful for that, but my only other friends are online, out of state, and I will probably never even get to meet them. when extreme pain takes over, my depression takes over and it is so difficult to find hope. does anyone have tips for fibro, whether diet or over-the-counter meds (I've tried them all, I think), or anything, besides hobbies and such? I've tried every over-the-counter med, and the Tiger Balm does cover some of what the pain pill doesn't help, but I'm hoping one of our members might have some knowledge that could help. I'd really appreciate it.
hugz,
Clownscrytoo

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Fibromyalgia Support Group.

@sandytoes14

I was diagnosed in 2012 with Fibro. Over the years I have been on different prescriptions. For a while now I have been taking 60 mg Cymbalta and 150 mg Lyrica. It works well to help with most of the pain but of course I have flare ups, especially when the weather turns. Lately I have been suffering from the dreaded Fibro Fog. It gets so bad that I want to cry. I get frustrated when I talk and can't think of what I want to say. Sometimes I even lose my train of thought mid sentence. I don't know how to describe the feeling other than my thoughts are no longer clear but like I have stepped into a cloud. A few years ago I had a complete neurological workup. The only thing that was shown were tremors.
Do you feel like this? What do you do when this happens?

Jump to this post

I did not sleep a wink last night. Having trouble relaxing my entire body. I’ve read explanations for muscle weakness and fatigue in FMS, and it involves depleting your energy supply on a cellular level. I’ve found a product that helps replenish that precursor substance, D-Ribose, which is a 5 Carbon sugar, (C5H10O5)which has kept me upright and walking on vacation activities and such, but I’m starting to feel kind of overtired...

@sandytoes14

I was diagnosed in 2012 with Fibro. Over the years I have been on different prescriptions. For a while now I have been taking 60 mg Cymbalta and 150 mg Lyrica. It works well to help with most of the pain but of course I have flare ups, especially when the weather turns. Lately I have been suffering from the dreaded Fibro Fog. It gets so bad that I want to cry. I get frustrated when I talk and can't think of what I want to say. Sometimes I even lose my train of thought mid sentence. I don't know how to describe the feeling other than my thoughts are no longer clear but like I have stepped into a cloud. A few years ago I had a complete neurological workup. The only thing that was shown were tremors.
Do you feel like this? What do you do when this happens?

Jump to this post

I've heard of D-Ribose but never tried ,thanks will start on it.I didn't sleep either last night

Hi! I’ve had fibro for about 15 years. About 5 years ago I hit on the magic cocktail. Obviously, everyone is different, but if it helps at all, here goes:
AM
225 mg Venlafaxine, 100 mg lamotrigne
PM
900 mg gabapentin, 25 trazadone, 1 mg lorazepam

30 min intense cardio a day is KEY for me bc it majorly helps for sleep. Getting a good nights sleep is the most important thing for me pain wise.

I still have flares here and there, but I hit the heating pad, get a good night’s sleep and i’m Usually back to normal the next morning. I hope you get some relief soon!

@skronky100

Hi! I’ve had fibro for about 15 years. About 5 years ago I hit on the magic cocktail. Obviously, everyone is different, but if it helps at all, here goes:
AM
225 mg Venlafaxine, 100 mg lamotrigne
PM
900 mg gabapentin, 25 trazadone, 1 mg lorazepam

30 min intense cardio a day is KEY for me bc it majorly helps for sleep. Getting a good nights sleep is the most important thing for me pain wise.

I still have flares here and there, but I hit the heating pad, get a good night’s sleep and i’m Usually back to normal the next morning. I hope you get some relief soon!

Jump to this post

Hey there. Thank you for your response

@angieh

I have Fibromyalgia and have suffered with symptoms all my life. Now it's caught up with me & I'm losing the battle. I take Gabapentin for pain and my RLS. It does help with the RLS and so i don't want to change, but I've gained 50 pounds because of the side effects. I hate not being able too do what i used to and now i hate who i am weigh all this weight and no help too get it off. I have almost every symptom of Fibromyalgia and am still trying to work full time. And this last month I've hit a me problem that you all need to be aware of. I take hydrocodone and my term life insurance came due so i was going to convert it to whole life. I've been turned down for any policy with this company soley because i use hydrocodone. This witch hunt on opiates has gone too far!

Jump to this post

I agree with you! The Dr. Looks at you like a drugy. I take tramadol with gabapentin. It's just keeps me moving. Does nothing for flare ups. I too, have more pain when weather changes.

@oregongirl

Oh Lord Angie. I am so sorry. I used gabapenten and it worked for me. I just can't take opiates. Not because I get sick or anything. But I was hooked on them and it took TWO weeks of near death to get off of them. My doctor was furious that I did it with no help. I will never go thru that again. I was hooked on Morphine. My Dr never did anything for my RA except give me pain pills. He was a general practitioner. Who was not familiar with RA. I am so sorry Angie.

Jump to this post

i so happy for you that Gabapenten has worked for you. I take 3 pills a day and nothing. My brother also uses it and he get relief. I take Oxy when I really, really need them. Although it takes the edge off, it really does not help. That is why I am going for PT and steroid injections.

@oregongirl

Oh Lord Angie. I am so sorry. I used gabapenten and it worked for me. I just can't take opiates. Not because I get sick or anything. But I was hooked on them and it took TWO weeks of near death to get off of them. My doctor was furious that I did it with no help. I will never go thru that again. I was hooked on Morphine. My Dr never did anything for my RA except give me pain pills. He was a general practitioner. Who was not familiar with RA. I am so sorry Angie.

Jump to this post

I had great satisfaction with the Steroid shots. I had a terrible rash for years. I dd not even know that it was associated with the RA. My doctor was only a General. I had to drive 4 hours to get to a Rumi Dr. I lived in middle of nowhere in Oregon So I felt fortunate to have the general. BUT, the difference with a RUMI doctor is day and night. The rash is gone. It will reappear again from what I have been told. But, now we know how to stop it. I am still getting the shot every visit and just got one yesterday with my infusion treatment. I must tell you to talk to your doctor about infusion treatment. Here is the drug they use. I am also listing(in next) post the drugs they give prior to the infusion. I am a new women today. I honestly can tell you I have no pain, EXCEPT for a fall I had as I was leaving. I hit my hip on something. Otherwise, pain is gone. I will have two more infusion treatments.

@oregongirl

Jump to this post

Here is the information I promised.....Infusion facts: I took Methotrexate 2.5 mg for 6 week by pill. It made me very ill whenever I ate. I would throw up each time by the 2nd bite. Then doctor put me on self injection by needle Methotrexate. I did not have any nausea with this shot I injected myself once a week. After one week my Infusion started. By IV a small bag but took 6 hours to take in. It is run very very slow. Then increased slowly by nurse every 30 minutes. Every one has a timer. I was in a room with about 20 or more people all receiving Infusion for different things. Cancer, RA and others that I don't know about. I have two more Infusions to come every two weeks. I believe the mg will be increased each time. The infusion drug is called riuximab. Prior to the infusion of the riuximab I received by IV Tylenol, 650 Mg tablet, then pepcid by IV 20 mg.,then by IV, solumedrol 125 mg IV Benadryl 59 Mg, then they wait a few minutes and start the rluximab. It is considered aggressive. But, my RA was out of control due to poor medical in Oregon. I suffered for months when it could have been controlled. I have no idea how long this lasts, but even one day has been paradise. I actually got on the Treadmill today and did 5 minutes. I want to increase to 30 minutes eventually. The exercise I need for weight loss and making me strong is once again. It is proof to me that the drugs are working. NO HABIT FORMING DRUGS< NO Narcotics. I LOVE it. Talk to your doctor about this. If he or she will not listen get to a Reumy as soon as possible.

@oregongirl

Parus, I have RA and I was also diagnosed with Fibro. I am presently see my doctors at the University of Texas Medical
center My doctor said I do not have Fibro I never thought to ask her - how do you know that? What is it they test to show that you have Fibro. I thought my RA had calmed down after 7 weeks of Methotrexate. But, I was SO Sick. I could not even eat. Everything came up. Even Liquid. So now I am on the Shots once a week. I start my Infusions next week. I am nervous about that Never having done the Infusions andI don't know what to expect. I was feeling so good and thought I had gotten the med into my body and then WALLA, pain came back. Today I have a headache. I feel so guilty as I cannot even clean the house. I usually do a bit here and there for about 15 minutes. I guess I should be thankful. I am sure there are many RA patients who cannot get up at all. Parus, I guess this is our life as long as we live.

Jump to this post

Lynneb, Well Fibro vs RA, is probably the way the pain is in your body. If my right leg hurts, my left one hurts, if I get itchy on one arm, it also affects the other arm. There is a blood test to prove the RA. But, she also had my blood checked for possible cancer due to one of my blood tests which she received. She is very careful. She said day one that she wanted to check something before she did any "icky" items that I would have to endure. Bone sample etc. I also get headaches, which you get with Fibro. I have fevers and very very hot spells with no warning. I am 75 so it is not hormonal. The pain is horrible, but I am sure FIBRO is also bad. I guess if I had to choose, I would take RA over Fibro. There are treatments for RA, but no one talks about treatments for FIBRO. I will watch the video and give you my feedback. I feel so good today, that if I had the money, I would head for the Mall and buy them out.

Sandytoes, YES brain fog also happens with RA. I have noticed it more often lately. I don't want my kids thinking I am having difficulties that reflect elderly brain diseases. I wonder how many Fibro and RA patients have been diagnosed wrongly and they are prisoners of the nursing homes. How sad.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.