Fibromyalgia pain: Let's connect

Posted by clownscrytoo @clownscrytoo, Oct 22, 2016

Is there anyone here that suffers from fibro? I had the 'tender spot test' several years ago and I had 17 out of the 18. I try my hardest to get through the pain with my 4 hydrocodone/acetaminaphine pills a day, Tiger Balm rubbed into areas that are the worst, light exercises, and distracting myself with hobbies or chores, etc; but there are many occasions where none of that helps and I spend most of the day holding down the couch, getting up about 30-45 minutes after that, walking/standing around the house for 15-20 minutes, or sitting for about 15-30 min. I do not drive and my husband works 6 days a week, overtime almost every day, so I'm alone a lot. my wonderful husband is very supportive and I am very grateful for that, but my only other friends are online, out of state, and I will probably never even get to meet them. when extreme pain takes over, my depression takes over and it is so difficult to find hope. does anyone have tips for fibro, whether diet or over-the-counter meds (I've tried them all, I think), or anything, besides hobbies and such? I've tried every over-the-counter med, and the Tiger Balm does cover some of what the pain pill doesn't help, but I'm hoping one of our members might have some knowledge that could help. I'd really appreciate it.
hugz,
Clownscrytoo

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Fibromyalgia Support Group.

@katcollins

That’s interesting. Have you continued to have pain in those areas since then?
Kat

Jump to this post

As I think I mentioned, I have been basically pain-free and fully functional all the years I remained healthy.
About September 2023, I was diagnosed with inoperable cancer of the pancreas, so everything has changed, and my main treatment is under the direction of an oncologist. The few times I have been able to see my bodyworker, she has helped me feel better. Some is due to "talk therapy," but some is due to her familiarity with my body after all the years spent working on it and knowing which muscles have historically been "tight." Her work to "release" these tight muscles does provide some relief from the discomfort (low level pain) which I experience at the site of the tumor as well as other sites on my body. The effect lasts for a few days (which was typical in my experience pre cancer dx).
It's hard for me to escape concluding that everything is connected, not necessarily in the anatomic relationships taught in the traditional western view of how the body works. My therapist describes the Paul St John method as being based on dermatomes.

@katcollins

I’ve heard a lot about Tramadol. I currently take Gabapentin 300mg two times a day and a 100mg dose midday. I take Neurtec every other day for migraine associated vertigo. I also alternate Tylenol and Advil every four hours. I go to physical therapy twice a week, since my spinal fusion over a year ago. I still suffer tremendously and haven’t been able to work since January.
Best of luck to you all,
Kat

Jump to this post

Do you alternate Advil and Tylenol ev 4 hrs bc a Dr has told you it’s harmful to take them together, (like Dual Action has them together in one caplet)?

Terri

@katcollins

I’ve heard a lot about Tramadol. I currently take Gabapentin 300mg two times a day and a 100mg dose midday. I take Neurtec every other day for migraine associated vertigo. I also alternate Tylenol and Advil every four hours. I go to physical therapy twice a week, since my spinal fusion over a year ago. I still suffer tremendously and haven’t been able to work since January.
Best of luck to you all,
Kat

Jump to this post

I am surprised that you are not extremely tired; due to the gabapentin. I can NOT take it during the day; it makes me too sleepy! I had to take mine ONLY at night when I was on it. Good luck!

@irr4et

Do you alternate Advil and Tylenol ev 4 hrs bc a Dr has told you it’s harmful to take them together, (like Dual Action has them together in one caplet)?

Terri

Jump to this post

I’ve always done this for pain. I refuse to take prescription pain meds. I only took them after my cervical fusion for a week. I can’t stomach them both together.
Kat

@dorma

I am surprised that you are not extremely tired; due to the gabapentin. I can NOT take it during the day; it makes me too sleepy! I had to take mine ONLY at night when I was on it. Good luck!

Jump to this post

It does make me tired but mostly later in the day. The morning dose doesn’t bother me as much. It wasn’t helping me enough just at night, unfortunately. And I won’t take controlled pain pills as long as I can avoid them. I have built up a tolerance and do not get as drowsy as I did in the beginning. I honestly hate all these pills but I don’t have a choice. Neurtec is the one that really knocks me out. But it is the only relief I get from migraines.
Best of luck to you all,
Kat

@katcollins

It does make me tired but mostly later in the day. The morning dose doesn’t bother me as much. It wasn’t helping me enough just at night, unfortunately. And I won’t take controlled pain pills as long as I can avoid them. I have built up a tolerance and do not get as drowsy as I did in the beginning. I honestly hate all these pills but I don’t have a choice. Neurtec is the one that really knocks me out. But it is the only relief I get from migraines.
Best of luck to you all,
Kat

Jump to this post

I really wish you the best; and I agree that taking pills is sometimes a bit scary. Like you said; we sometimes have no choice.

I suffer from fibromyalgia and am having a laminectomy and fusion of C4-7. In seeking ways for my neurosurgeon and anesthesiologist, I came across the following article that I thought I would share here. Would appreciate comments and suggestions from anyone else with knowledge about this topic. Thank you, Robin
https://www.fibromyalgiaresources.com/surgery-with-fibromyalgia/

@rbcookson

I suffer from fibromyalgia and am having a laminectomy and fusion of C4-7. In seeking ways for my neurosurgeon and anesthesiologist, I came across the following article that I thought I would share here. Would appreciate comments and suggestions from anyone else with knowledge about this topic. Thank you, Robin
https://www.fibromyalgiaresources.com/surgery-with-fibromyalgia/

Jump to this post

Hello @rbcookson. I noticed your post and wanted to let you know that I've moved it into an existing discussion on fibromyalgia pain that you can now find here:
- Fibromyalgia pain: Let's connect: https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/fibromyalgia-pain-28e002/

Members @calimesapeg and @rwinney may be able to join.

Have you had your laminectomy and fusion? If so, how is your pain?

@amandajro

Hello @rbcookson. I noticed your post and wanted to let you know that I've moved it into an existing discussion on fibromyalgia pain that you can now find here:
- Fibromyalgia pain: Let's connect: https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/fibromyalgia-pain-28e002/

Jump to this post

Hi there @rbcookson. Understandably, you have concerns about how having surgery will affect fibromyalgia pain. As the article you attached previously references, fibromyalgia creates heightened sensitization which means you may feel things a little more severe after surgery. I have not had laminectomy or fusion surgery but can share that when I was at the Mayo Clinic Pain Rehabilitation Center for chronic central sensitization syndrome (CSS), I learned from Dr Christopher Sletten, that the overall management plan of living with chronic heightened sensitivities are to manage emotional, behavioral and physical health in order to strengthen both mind and body to help control pain. And while having surgery may stir up or intensify symptoms, hopefully the reward outweighs the risk for you. My best advice would be to make sure you have emotional support and distraction from friends and family, make sure you use positive self-talk to help yourself get through challenges. Do you practice diaphragmatic breathing and mindfulness? Music helps me for distraction, and guided imagery...sounds fancy, but it's just me imagining a comforting, peaceful place in my head that I can escape to for a moment. How might you escape?

@amandajro

Jump to this post

My laminectomy will be Friday. August 18th.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.