Anyone taken Evenity (romosozumab) for Osteoporosis?

Posted by arlene7 @arlene7, May 27, 2020

Has anyone taken Evenity? I understand it’s only been on the market for a little over a year. I’m hoping it will help with my severe osteoporosis. Any information is helpful.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Osteoporosis & Bone Health Support Group.

@windyshores

I have worn my doctor down and am now going to consider Evenity after Tylos (then Reclast). He actually likes the way I try to customize treatment. I would love to read about anyone's experience with this sequence!

Jump to this post

Hi @windyshores
So I took Prolia from the beginning of my diagnosis. I am not sure about the time- could be 4 years. Anyway, I broke my femur in 2021 and then after a few months break I was put on Teripartide. But had to stop after 6 months as I had reactions. Then another small break and now on Tymlos.
My 2 years are up in January. My Dr is either thinking to put me back on Prolia or Reclast. Has anyone ever taken Prolia again after a fracture? Right femur fracture is a side effect of Prolia. Anyone experience this situation? Would appreciate some insight. 🙏

@lauratys

Thank you for posting. We do seem to be the few who have this issue. I’m sorry you are having this issue as well and we just have to keep moving and try to find something that helps without adverse reactions. I’m 67 and refuse to give up the physical activities I love and are good for me! Hopefully the Actonel will work and as I said I’ll post after I try it. I can’t even get in and out of the car without discomfort at the moment🙃

Jump to this post

How are you feeling? Is your hip pain any better?

I think it very interesting that many on Evenity complain of joint pain. After my 4th shots I went for a jog and felt fantastic. However, the next morning I had so much pain in one knee. I went to urgent care. I was referred to a physical therapist. Anyway, to get to the point, I came across an explanation of this in Dr. McCormick’s Great Bones. On page 557 under ‘Technically Speaking’ he explains that sclerostin is inhibited by Evenity. However, sclerostin is needed whenever cartilage is injured. Therefore it takes longer to heal. Anyway read it for yourself.
Just this past week I went to my doctor and requested a CTX and P1NP. I might as well have been speaking Chinese! It’s just awful that we have to do all the investigating and yet there is no help. I’m seriously thinking of contacting Dr. McCormick but it seems he wants a lot of background information. Can anyone who has communicated with him tell me how the visit via phone or zoom went? Is it better to see him in person?
Thank all of you for the insight you present. I am in eastern Massachusetts. I asked my doctor (actually a nurse practitioner) about getting a TBS and that was another Chinese word for her. Is it easy to get one?

@windyshores

I have worn my doctor down and am now going to consider Evenity after Tylos (then Reclast). He actually likes the way I try to customize treatment. I would love to read about anyone's experience with this sequence!

Jump to this post

My Dexa numbers put me in the Severe category, hip and spine. I have never fractured but I did have a very traumatic fall 6 years ago and broke my hip. So I guess you could say I did fracture. But I just finished 2 years of Forteo and will be starting Evenity in 3 weeks. I'm very fearful of the side effects. Forteo did very little for me, I remained stable but no real increases in density.

@ann707

How are you feeling? Is your hip pain any better?

Jump to this post

So I haven’t taken any bisphosphonate in three weeks and went to PT. I’m feeling better. Switching to Actonel next week to see if that is better than Fosomax for me. In the middle of this had to have rotator cuff surgery this week so a few variables!

@suga

I think it very interesting that many on Evenity complain of joint pain. After my 4th shots I went for a jog and felt fantastic. However, the next morning I had so much pain in one knee. I went to urgent care. I was referred to a physical therapist. Anyway, to get to the point, I came across an explanation of this in Dr. McCormick’s Great Bones. On page 557 under ‘Technically Speaking’ he explains that sclerostin is inhibited by Evenity. However, sclerostin is needed whenever cartilage is injured. Therefore it takes longer to heal. Anyway read it for yourself.
Just this past week I went to my doctor and requested a CTX and P1NP. I might as well have been speaking Chinese! It’s just awful that we have to do all the investigating and yet there is no help. I’m seriously thinking of contacting Dr. McCormick but it seems he wants a lot of background information. Can anyone who has communicated with him tell me how the visit via phone or zoom went? Is it better to see him in person?
Thank all of you for the insight you present. I am in eastern Massachusetts. I asked my doctor (actually a nurse practitioner) about getting a TBS and that was another Chinese word for her. Is it easy to get one?

Jump to this post

@suga I am also in eastern MA and did my first appointment in person. A few years later I went back in person again, as I was finishing Tymlos. I feel as if I established a better connection that way especially since he does phone visits as follow up, not Zoom.

I love my endo but also got a second opinion endo recently.

Just had my second shots. This time no soreness. No other noticeable side effects. Too soon to know about results. My doc wants me to follow this with prolia but I reluctant. Would prefer to use alendronate which had no side effects when I took it after two years of forteo......also no side effects with forteo.

My doctor has recommended Evenity for my osteoporosis.

Due to other health issues, I am not able to take the medicine in a pill form.

Would love to know how others have done with the medicine.

Thank you

@bbones2023

My doctor has recommended Evenity for my osteoporosis.

Due to other health issues, I am not able to take the medicine in a pill form.

Would love to know how others have done with the medicine.

Thank you

Jump to this post

I’ve had five injections so far. I think I’m tired the day, after but thats my only issue.

Have not started the drug yet but have read so many negative reviews, I am torn.
Hearing a positive review is encouraging.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.