COVID vaccines and neuropathy

Posted by cue @cue, Feb 15, 2021

I am 85 with small fiber neuropathy that is getting worse. My neurologist thought it would be a good idea for me to wait with the covid vaccine and not be first in line to see how it affected other people with neuropathy. Probably because it is a new technology. Has anyone had a problem with neuropathy after receiving the vaccine? If so, which vaccine?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Neuropathy Support Group.

@jboett

Has anyone that has experienced long term effects from ciprofloxin leading to the FQAD Syndrome had increase of peripheral neuropathy pain or more incidents of brain fog , hallucinations after COVID vaccine ? I have been living with FQAD since multiple uses of ciprofloxin for kidney stone surgeries from 2007-2013 both via pills and IV. Also due to being Floxed instead of my tendon rupturing in my ankle etc I had an emergency retina detachment surgery in 2014 to save my vision . As part of the antibiotics given for left eye surgery I was given oflaxin which caused hallucinations , heart palipitations etc. Needless to say I had a lot of this drug which now I am paying for later in life . Constant neuropathy pain left extremities , mood swings and frequent brain fog episodes . I believe my dna markers have been affected so much coupled with more intense neuropathy pain after Pfizer vaccine , perhaps the FQ impacts and proteins in COViD immune model are not liking each other. It would be nice to know if anyone with FQAD are experiencing similar experiences .

Jump to this post

Hi, and sorry for my english, it's not my mother tongue.
I was floxed with Cipro nearly four years ago, and my tendons have never returned the same.
After my first Pfizer shot, I've had a bad neuropathy on both hands and fingers (never experienced before) and I thought it could be connected with the flox. Perhaps something in my floxed cells is not working as it should do.
The neuropathy is not over (4 weeks have passed): I'm taking some supplements and the pain is better, but my hands are still suffering.
Wednesday I'll have my second Pfizer shot and I'm concerned...

I just had my third Pfizer booster on Thursday. Neuropathy no better or worse. It is always constant pain. Would be a miracle if the same thing would happen to me. I will be praying for that response. I have had peripheral neuropathy since 2005.

@drpkp

NEUROPATHY PAIN GONE AFTER AN INITIAL EXACERBATION!
My husband has had severe peripheral neuropathy pain in both feet for more than fifteen years with little to no relief from any medication ... In fact week prior to getting the last vaccine he consented to considering medical marijuana tincture ...10 days ago he received the third shot of Pfizer vaccine - as with first 2 vaccinations he had no side effects ...however a few hours later he began to have intense neuropathy pain - at a level greatly higher than his normal pain intensity. HOWEVER after approximately 36 hours the pain was gone and most interestingly and significantly his NEUROPATHY PAIN HAS NOT RETURNED AT ALL. It has now been almost two weeks pain free, Any insights?

Jump to this post

Amazing.

Can anyone get a covid booster?
Jake

It seems AZ and J&J vaccines give worse side-effects than Pf or Mod. However all have been linked with exacerbating PN. In my case, my PN got much worse after my 2nd Pf dose. Originally my PN was from an ADR to Cipro, like some others in this forum. After a week of significant pain, I did research and found that Bromelain (the pineapple enzyme) snips the covid spike protein, potentially attenuating symptoms (I would provide the link to the paper but this website won't let me). As vaccines are basically the spike protein, I took bromelain x3 per day and after just 3 days my PN got much better and is now almost gone. Of course, it may have got better by itself anyway... Maybe others in this forum with worsened PN after vaccination can try replicate the same result?

@jard

It seems AZ and J&J vaccines give worse side-effects than Pf or Mod. However all have been linked with exacerbating PN. In my case, my PN got much worse after my 2nd Pf dose. Originally my PN was from an ADR to Cipro, like some others in this forum. After a week of significant pain, I did research and found that Bromelain (the pineapple enzyme) snips the covid spike protein, potentially attenuating symptoms (I would provide the link to the paper but this website won't let me). As vaccines are basically the spike protein, I took bromelain x3 per day and after just 3 days my PN got much better and is now almost gone. Of course, it may have got better by itself anyway... Maybe others in this forum with worsened PN after vaccination can try replicate the same result?

Jump to this post

Hi Jard, I noticed that you wished to post a URL to a journal article with your post. You will be able to add URLs to your posts in a few days. There is a brief period where new members can't post links. We do this to deter spammers and keep the community safe. Clearly the link you wanted to post is not spam. Please allow me to post it for you.

- Bromelain inhibits SARS-CoV-2 infection via targeting ACE-2, TMPRSS2, and spike protein https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ctm2.281

It appears that the researchers suggest bromelain’s ability to inhibit SARS-CoV-2 infection, and its profound fibrinolytic activity 6 suggests that bromelain or bromelain-rich pineapple could be used as an antiviral against SARS-CoV-2 and future outbreaks of other coronaviruses. Did you read that this is also applicable to side effects from the vaccine? It looks like studies may be starting in this area, but haven’t published results yet. Is that your read too?

@colleenyoung

Hi Jard, I noticed that you wished to post a URL to a journal article with your post. You will be able to add URLs to your posts in a few days. There is a brief period where new members can't post links. We do this to deter spammers and keep the community safe. Clearly the link you wanted to post is not spam. Please allow me to post it for you.

- Bromelain inhibits SARS-CoV-2 infection via targeting ACE-2, TMPRSS2, and spike protein https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ctm2.281

It appears that the researchers suggest bromelain’s ability to inhibit SARS-CoV-2 infection, and its profound fibrinolytic activity 6 suggests that bromelain or bromelain-rich pineapple could be used as an antiviral against SARS-CoV-2 and future outbreaks of other coronaviruses. Did you read that this is also applicable to side effects from the vaccine? It looks like studies may be starting in this area, but haven’t published results yet. Is that your read too?

Jump to this post

Thanks for posting the link. I haven't read anything specific about using Bromelain for adverse vaccine reactions but the logic fits, which is why I tried it. The spike protein remains in our bodies for a few weeks after vaccination, which is probably why some have worse PN for quite a while before eventually getting better. However, unfortunately some can develop GBS or other autoimmune-based nerve conditions, which is very problematic. As you say, I think research is only starting in this area.

@jard

Jump to this post

That’s wonderful! I was wondering how many mg you took each day. I am now 5 months out since my vaccine and unfortunately my pain did not subside. In fact it has intensified and spread. It may be too late to work for me but who knows. I’m going to give it a try. Thanks for sharing!

@jard

Jump to this post

@jard thank you so much for this info. Had not heard of this supplement but I’m going to do some reading up on it and I may add to my regimen. I’m just encouraged to hear that more research and awareness of the neuropathy connection are starting to take place.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.